Metals for the game

There, i fixed it for you :slight_smile:

Hmm. I donā€™t think you really need all that many metals in the base game, because otherwise things tend to get rather confusing. Letā€™s see (in order of quality BTW)ā€¦

-Wood: Your starting resource. Not a metal, but you can make wooden weapons etc.
-Stone: Again, technically not a metal, but a nice step up from wood items.
-Copper: Mostly used for bronze, but also some utensils, piping etc.
-Bronze: Made from copper & tin.
-Iron: Probably the most useful metal ore around. Even when you have steel, iron will do perfectly well for most things.
-Steel: A superior (and costlier) version of iron. Made from iron & carbon (ie coal, coke, etc).
-Gold, Silver, Platinum: For making valuable things and/or increasing the value of your settlement to attract Cthulhu new settlers.
-Mithril: Or adamantium or whatever you want to call it. Can also be a fancy alloy, but the intent is for end-game metal items.

That leaves lots of room for modders to add in stuff (just new iron alloys would allow for tremendous expansion) - what about tungsten for incandescent light-bulbs? Or titanium for sci-fi & modern-tech mods?

We then also have the issue of non-metal ā€œoresā€. Coal is an obvious one, as are gems (rubies, sapphires, emeralds, diamonds could be the big/valuable four, but you also want cheaper, more plentiful ones for early game stuff - garnets, quartz, malachite, etc)ā€¦ what elseā€¦ sulphur compounds could be used (gunpowder anyone?), as could salt. There could also be things like fossils - dig up some old wombattosaurus regina bones and make a nice display in your town :slight_smile: . Finally, alternate types of stone - marble, basalt and sandstone would be a nice start.

All in all though, I donā€™t think you need much more - heck, Iā€™ve already listed 21 ā€œoresā€ of various kinds Iā€™d like to see in! The point though is to cut away at the list of stuff you need until you have a very small list. After that, see about maybe expanding it here & there, but start small & simple.

3 Likes

Fantastic post, love all of the ideas :smile:

1 Like

This is my personnal list of ores that could be in the game, it goes from weakest to strongest

-Coal
-Copper
-Tin
-Iron
-Silver
-Gold
-tongsten
-mithril
-adamantium

And one fictional -Heartā€™s stone

Heart stone being the strongest could be used to make the most powerfull items such as staff and wands.

Also, adamantium and mithril are also fictitious metals

Personally, I feel that Stonehearth shouldnā€™t rip off LOTR and Marvel for its ores; itā€™s just kind of lame and unoriginal. Instead, we should be more inventive and figure out new mineral names. I like your suggestion of a ā€œHeartstoneā€, though.

1 Like

Adamantium is actually also a LOTR ore :).

1 Like

Ah, good catch, I didnā€™t realize.

Gold is actually a very soft metal remember :wink: .

Anyway, Heartstone is already taken apparently :stuck_out_tongue: . Also, it sounds a lot like a certain Blizzard game :wink: . What elseā€¦ ā€œadamantā€ is what Tolkien called it, rather than adamantium or adamantine. World of Warcraft also has a ton of strange metals / ores:

-Fel Iron & Ghost Iron, both found as ores. Thereā€™s also Felsteel, a refined form of Fel Iron.
-Saronite, the solidified remains of an Old God (think Cthulhu).
-White & Black Trillium, both required to make Trillium bars.
-Living Steel, transmuted from Ghost Iron.
-Truegold & Truesilver, used in weapons etc so obviously harder than real gold / silver.
-Elementium, which is super-effective against minions of the Old Gods.
-Obsidium, mined from obsidium ore.
-Titansteel, made from titanium + elemental magic.
-Khorium & Eternium, both from ores.
-Sulfuron, a metal associated with fire elementals & their plane of existence.
-Arcanite bar, made from thorium (!) and an arcane crystal.
-Dark Iron, a tough, heat-resistant form of iron.

1 Like

Ooh! Idea! You should be able to infuse different metals (with magic or magic-y stuff) to make them betterā€¦ :smile:

Would be a nice side job for the geomancer, Iā€™m thinking. Or an alchemist.

1 Like

Tungsten is highly inefficient for filament however (probably should of mentioned thatā€¦) it mainly produces heat when thereā€™s electricity passed through, in relative terms light is merely a biproduct aluminium would also bea good idea for tech mods :thumbsup:

You would know this, wouldnā€™t you. :wink:

donā€™t flatter me!

It does however have a nice warm glow - Iā€™m not sure Iā€™d like a Stonehearth settlement filled with cold blue LED lights :stuck_out_tongue: .

2 Likes