Mac/Linux version

While that seems true (Click Below)

It should be made clear that it’s most likely due to a Mac Bios setting or some other bloated program to slow down Windows on Mac machines. (See Below)

As in similar machines (Mac machine was more powerful but only slightly) they performed similarly.

no denying that it runs well but thats not what i was commenting on. i said native as in instead of OSX. in my experience emulating was ok and as osx was still there to keep a lid on things to ensure things dont get out of hand there was no over heating.
when windows was installed instead of osx there were issues. Windows requires massive amounts of resources just top STAY idle. windows 7 uses over a GB of ram for not doing a damn thing. This can put a lot of pressure on a system that isnt prepared for it.
its important to remember that macs are built from the ground up to make maximum use of and ensure maximum compatibility with its hardware as opposed to just coping with whats available. its why people have so much trouble installing osx on PC’s

Stonehearth broke sometime after 0.1.0.53, unable to determine when since I was moving, and now on 0.1.0.122 which does not work in my VMware environment.

If I can figure out how to get it working I will create a separate post with it.

3 Likes

Official word in the dev blog the other day is that “OSX and Linux ports will come after all major game features are complete.”

So, based on the pace of development so far, I’d expect late 2015. That’s just me guessing, though. We’re running out of 2014, even though they’re clearly adding a lot now with each Alpha. They’ll want to do a short beta period once everything is in, and then that’s when they’ll start working on Mac and Linux.

Anyway, I’ve had success with both Boot Camp and Parallels. I haven’t tried VMWare but I’ve been playing Stonehearth somehow or another on my Mac Pro since Alpha 1 and it’s not been a problem.

1 Like

The OSX port has been mentioned a lot, but nothing about Linux. Realistically, thats the same thing. But developers dont look at it like that. (EA, I’m looking at you) And this

I’m guessing this was what came from the top of her mind first, but that reminded me.

Do you have any clue when this will come on Linux? Wine threw a bunch of Lua errors at me.

1 Like

Hey @Stian, most people do ask after the OSX port, so that’s what comes first to mind. However, we plan to start OSX and Linux at the same time (whenever that will be) because we think they may have quite a bit in common. We’re also looking forward to some performance tools we can get on Linux that should help all versions of the game.

1 Like

Thank you! :slight_smile: Ask far as I’m concerned, Linux has better performance than Windows/OS X if you look at the stats. And they do indeed have a bit in common. If you dont use GLFW already (available here) you should try it out! In my tests, that had better performance than any other library AND better than the platform specific toolkits.

2 Likes

After being broke when using VMware Fusion after version 0.1.0.53 I have finally upgraded VMware and now it is working. Specs below:

VMware Fusion: v7.0.0(2103067)
VMware Tools for Windows v9.8.3(2075148)
OS X v10.9.5
Windows 7

Hope this helps some that want to test out the game before a native version comes out for OS X.

2 Likes

Woo! We’re really glad to hear that! @Ponder, @not_owen_wilson check it out!

2 Likes

May be worth mentioning that I’m using the following:

macbook pro mid-2014
OS X 10.10.1
Parallels 10.1.1
Windows 8.1 Pro (from Boot Camp partition)

Other than not being able to run the game at Full Screen while running as a VM, it otherwise works fine. And, of course, if I boot from the Boot Camp partition to run Windows directly, it works better.

Anybody that has a modern mac should, at the very least, be able to use Boot Camp (built-in for several years) to create a dual boot between MacOS and Windows. If you want to run more “natively” while in MacOS, you’ll need something to allow windows virtualization (and a windows license, of course). Options would seem to be:

vmWare Fusion
Parallels Desktop
Oracle VirtualBox

There may be others…

Still…anxiously awaiting this game getting through alpha, not only for feature completion, but since I assume that’s when we’ll likely see the MacOS port.

2 Likes

The game (of some reason) stopped working in Wine after Alpha-7 and I dont know why. Does anyone have any ideas on how to fix it? If not, please hurry with the native version Team Radiant! :smiley:

Remember, the faster you get the version up, the faster it will get mainstream coverage on GOL which means a lot of users will buy it. (They wait for the Linux version to come out)

Impatient Regards,
Stian

Its been one and a half year almost, whats the status? I want to play this bad boy!

still far from mac or linux! They already said that it wont happen until the game is done adding their features! This is still far off.

They said that they should have mac whe it enter beta, but I believe they probably won’t have enough time to get to it during beta due to all the things they still need. But if they want to find a way, they should ask the porting team maybe…

They’re not using a porting team, plus; it would only take one alpha period to get the ports done. The thing is that the majority uses closed-source binary-blobbed proprietary Windows and thus Linux gets no love. Couldn’t give a toss about closed-source binary-blobbed proprietary Mac either, but at least they follow the Unix specification.

the reason they are not working on the ports is they dont want to support them every update while building the game. It would take to much time away from development!

That is why they will wait till they have everything ingame for the game release first and then port the game over!

1 Like

There’s one detail you missed; there would be no supporting to be done. Sure, each platform has different issues. But OpenGL is OpenGL and the only platform specific thing in the engine is the windowing toolkit. By simply using another windowing toolkit they would have implemented support, no problem. Let me tell you a secret… I don’t care if the port has a few issues. I just want to play this game! :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

Its their words not mine :smiley: Personally i dont care if they do it or not! it doesnt effect me either way. Just thought i would post what i have read before!

Might be a good idea to label your sources next time, it sounds a lot like you’re the one saying it.

2 Likes

I don’t have windows…I have mac, many people have macs that wanna play but they just dont expose themselves.

1 Like