Mac/Linux version

As it was a stretch goal, I am doubtful to the suggestion that they are developing all three platforms at once. That is not something that is easy to do, especially whilst you are still making the game, and lets be honest. Most of us here are using windows. I already started this argument and I will keep doing it till the threat of ban arises, OSX is not optimized for gaming, and is widely not used for gaming. If you planned on using your computer for gaming, I don’t know why you spent extra cash on a apple product. As for the linux port, they should be working on that. Linux is free 90% of the time, and would allow many more users to play it. But as for apple, the only thing that has kept them afloat recently is their mobile devices. Which are now also beginning to lose their luster.

Gulp, here comes @Xavion to reap havoc on my post.

1 Like

While I agree that OSX is not a good gaming platform, it’s a decision that some people made and I think it’s kind of inappropriate that you jumped into an anti Mac rant. Chances are it will be ported alongside the beta releases as porting on certain engines isn’t terribly difficult. Other indie Kickstarted games usually have Mac/Linux ports up a couple days after a Windows release.

Moreover if you look at the Steam Hardware Survey Mac outnumbers Linux by quite a margin. The fact of the matter is neither Mac nor Linux has had much of an opportunity as a gaming platform since Windows utterly dominates the OS landscape. Things are the way they are because of Window’s psuedo monopoly not necessarily inferior quality. (Although I do think Macs are overpriced for what they are).

http://store.steampowered.com/hwsurvey/

2 Likes

I am not surprised by the fact that the number of mac users outnumber Linux, considering the fact that there are no popular devices that come with a Linux OS. If you know anyone who went to a store like Best Buy, and picked up a desktop with a Linux OS pre-installed. I would be very surprised. My argument was not that more people had Linux than OSX, my argument was that more people CAN GET Linux. Linux as I stated is a free OS, it can be booted from many devices that you probably have sitting on your desk (a CD, a Thumbdrive, a External HDD/SDD, your computer’s internal HDD/SDD, etc). All you have to do is go on Google, type in Linux, and see what comes up. Now, if you have Linux and the OSX port comes out first, you are kind of S.O.L, because OSX is obviously not free

As for your complaint about bringing up the Apple rant, there is no wrong time or place to start an apple rant besides when in bed.

EDIT: In response to your claim about the steam survey, my glance at the site reveals that there was no data collected for Linux platforms, just MAC and Windows.

I agree. This post is wondering if mac options are a possibility/when they’ll happen not a hate thread for mac users.

While I love using my mac products I understand they’re not for gaming and never made that claim. All I notice is that more and more companies are porting/natively making their games for Mac because there is a market of users. If you aren’t one of them great… we’re not trying to convert you.

2 Likes

It wasn’t even really a rant. I was simply saying that Linux should be a higher priority. If you want to discuss that, then so be it. But my comment on mac not being for gaming was an opinion. If you want to discuss it, then perhaps it is time to make a formal Mac Vs Windows Vs Linux post.

Just a friendly notice that this isn’t the space for discussions regarding personal opinion of products.

I appreciate that we all have our own tastes and preferences and that for some a Mac is a no go and for others a Mac is the thing they will always go for - this isn’t the space to argue about who is right or wrong (a completely futile argument might I add).

As @zorroman1100 has said, this thread is for discussing the mac/linux version of the game and everything that is encompassed within that, not the mac/linux ecosystem in general.

2 Likes

@Geoffers747 is very correct. Seeing that this argument has been, and probably will continue to produce off topic conversations. I created somewhere were it isn’t off topic.

Ladies and gentlemen, I give you the best idea since cheese sticks: OSX VS Windows VS Linux

Hello I am a $45 backer and I was wondering when stone hearth will come out for mac. If it will not be soon do you know of a way to run it on my mac?

First off, I’m gonna cite something from the kickstarter:
"We will support PC, Mac, and Linux!"
Here’s one of their stretch goals (which was met):
“Mac and Linux Port: Retail release of the game for both Mac & Linux.”

So, I assume sometime before the 2014 release we’ll have Mac and Linux support. However, I’m sure @SteveAdamo, @Smokestacks, or @Geoffers747 could give much better help.

2 Likes

I’m honoured to be mentioned in such a list :wink:

As for your question @JonahTbaum, there isn’t anything super definite about date. We believe Alpha will be coming later on both Mac and Linux, but will be present, so there will be Mac (and Linux) versions of both Alpha and full release. However since the Alpha will last about 8 months, we’re not very sure of where in the road it will come.

There is some useful information in this thread:

I believe you can download Wine on to Macs, which allows you to run Windows on your Mac and play Windows-exclusive games. I believe it is fairly popular, so I wouldn’t worry about viri viruses (it should be viri though shouldn’t it?) or anything :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

welcome aboard @JonahTbaum! :smile:

you’ve already been given some great feedback, so not much else i can offer… i’ve merged the thread here though…

My mac runs games far more efficiently and with a better frame rate than my pc with comparable hardware so i eagerly anticipate the mac release.
as for when it will be available, they will most likely release mac/linux distros when they have stable pc one’s to work from. seems only logical.

When the Alpha build is out I will try to create a wrapper for it. My skills in that are low but still, it should be possible(although I think some people, including myself, already tried it on the graphics tests without succes)

2 Likes

Define this comparable hardware that you speak so highly of.

think someone needs to have a word with you about flaming… its already been said not to go off topic about mac bashing…
as with the question im talking same ram at the same frequency, same ghz processor etc…
any game i have that will run on my mac i tend to play on it. hence why im looking forward to the mac version.

I was not flaming, as there were no personal attacks included anywhere in my post. I am simply tired of consistently hearing the argument that MAC computers hold higher ground than PC’s, without any evidence provided. I don’t like hearing this anywhere in any category to be honest.

I was bashing the MAC just as much as you were bashing the PC my friend. But as for the off topic complaint, you are right. I will do this in PM from now on.

This is why I got a bit upset in the first place. These components do not really effect your performance. So from now on, rather than saying your systems have comparable hardware and you don’t actually know too much about hardware. Please think twice before clicking the post button. If that little:

wasn’t there, I would not have cared.

For your education on the subject. It is likely that your PC has an inferior GPU when compared to the MAC. If things truly are so much better on the MAC that you would specially anticipate the MAC release. There is no possible way that a key component would be comparable.

My moderator senses are tingling…

3 Likes

i know right? im not gonna reply to his comment because it will only cause more hassle…

i will say though that the comment made “you don’t actually know too much about hardware” was a bit unnecessary.

put it this way, i spent three years in a computer repair store working on all three major OS platforms, i have two degrees (web dev and computing) and studied in depth how windows and mac OS’s are built and their hardware relationship. so don’t assume anything.

1 Like

thanks for leaving the drama at the door folks… let’s all just enjoy the anticipation of the pending alpha release! :+1:

1 Like

I have to agree with @SteveAdamo!

I did not create this topic to discuss the benefits of Windows or Mac.
Personally I stick to the philosophy that they are equal.

So everyone, let’s get back to topic please!

And no reactions to my statement!

Now, more on topic: has anyone successfully tried out Wine to use a Windows program/game on Mac. I’ve managed it on Linux, but I have problems with Mac.

Also, no reactions about Linux being better than Mac now.

4 Likes