Lucky Dice Mod A22

The lucky_dice mod rolls a 4, 5 or 6 for all of the Hearthlings’ attributes instead of the usual range of 1-6.

WARNING: If you open an existing game with this mod loaded it will re-roll the attributes for all Hearthlings. If you do this by accident, close the game without saving and unload this mod.

To use this mod:

• load the mod and open a saved game, it will re-roll the attributes for all Hearthlings and replace any 1, 2, or 3 with a 4, 5, or 6.

• save the game and unload the mod before carrying on playing.

• when a new Hearthling arrives in town repeat the steps above to get 4, 5 or 6 for all attributes

Dropbox - lucky_dice.smod

I welcome all comments or suggestions for improving this mod. Would anyone like an unlucky_dice mod instead? :wink:

4 Likes

I would prefer a point build system ideally, but failing that, this will do the trick. Thank you.

1 Like

Yes, I would prefer a point build system too. The only way I could see to do this in a mod was for all Hearthlings to have exactly the same values.

For example everyone would have Body=X, Mind=Y and Spirit=Z; with X+Y+Z adding up to the desired points total. We could have a party of intelligent weaklings, or strong scaredy-cats :grinning:

It was either that or randomise within a range of values, which I have done for this mod. It is easy to change the ranges for different mods.

A point build system could also use the attributes, which contain both advantages and disadvantages. If they had appropriate point costs, once might be able to squeeze some decent character stats out of an even spread system. That said, I’d give characters twelve points for stats anyway, so reasonably decent characters would result. I expect few but hardcore purists don’t reload characters till they get something they can live with. That is easily equivalent to twelve characteristic points.

In any case… The current mod is bugged. Characters will not autodirect themselves to worker tasks with the mod loaded. You have to deactivate this mod to get them to actually do anything.

1 Like

so this is basically a cheat mod. gives you nothing but GOOD rolls which makes it far too easy to do well.

while I understand the wish for always good rolls it completely removes the suspense of “will I get a hearthling that’ll finally be of use? or will I get stuck with another low use mining and gathering peon?” getting rid of the element of randomness and chance to how your hearthlings will roll when they first spawn just ruins it for me.

1 Like

Well, then don’t use the mod. Some of us are OCD, I will savescum when I’m about to get a new guy and keep reloading until it’s something I can live with. This sort of thing simply prevents me from having to do that, so I can just play the game. To each their own.

3 Likes

@Kitkat_Matt - yes it is a cheat mod, and it is likely to spoil the balance of the game and make it a lot easier to do well quickly. I wanted to learn how to make a mod for the game and this mod was really just an exercise for me to learn.

A far better use for this technique would be for someone who is getting too good at the game to restrict the dice rolls to a maximum of 4 or 5 to give themselves an extra challenge.

@Panpiper Thank you for trying the mod and for pointing out the bug:

In any case… The current mod is bugged. Characters will not autodirect themselves to worker tasks with the mod loaded. You have to deactivate this mod to get them to actually do anything.

I should have done some play-testing myself to check for unexpected behaviour - I am on a big learning curve!!

I have changed the instructions above for how to use the mod. Unfortunately, having to save and restart each time a new Hearthling arrives will break the immersion of the game, so I am not really happy with the way it works.