[Latest build] Extremely weird pathfinding

Summary:
Soldiers use disadvantageous paths to reach destinations

Steps to reproduce:

1. Have a large square like obstacle (terrain in my case) that is easier for fast enemies to circle around, rather than to break through

2. Have guards that can open the gate, thus making the trip behind the enemies more beneficial, than the path leading in front of them

3. Command the guards to attack the enemies

Expected Results:

Guards run against the enemies, not behind them

Actual Results:

Guards run behind the enemies making a giant carousel and exposing the citizens to attacks

Notes:
How to read the photo below:

The village is in the middle (with the campfire and storage yard) and is two chunks higher than the rest of the terrain, thus the stairs leading up near the farm. NOTE! all of the action described in this happens in the ground level.

The enemies came from the forest in the up left corner and where aiming to reach the storage yard

Red box is where the enemies where when I issued the attack command.
Red line is the path the enemies took in order to avoid the gate, the enemies where wolves or saplings, so small that the trees hid them in the photo
Blue box with stripes is the farm field the guards patrol at = Their starting location.
Black is to show the direction the guards are running, which through the gate in the stone fence, guards are the white outlined dudes near the black arrow

Attachments:

Version Number and Mods in use:

The latest edition, no mods

System Information:

Operating System
Windows 10 Home 64-bit

CPU
Intel Core i5 4460 @ 3.20GHz
Haswell 22nm Technology

RAM
8,00Gt Single-Channel DDR3 @ 798MHz (11-11-11-28)

Motherboard
Acer Aspire TC-705 (LGA1150)

Graphics
Acer K272HL (1920x1080@60Hz)
2047MB NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 (Sapphire/PCPartner)

Storage
119GB KINGSTON RBU-SC150S37128GD (SSD)
931GB Western Digital WDC WD10EZEX-21M2NA0 (SAT)

Optical Drives
MATSHITA DVD-RAM UJ8HC

Audio
Realtek High Definition Audio

That is because the soldiers already had target them, so your order of move attack is “ignored”, more or less. That order you gave is basically “move to here, but attack things you see”. That is why they are going straight to them. Use the move (green) to force them to walk to a place while ignoring treats.

I’m sure if the attack command had been issued directly on a monster instead of in the ground, they would have picked the shortest path (however I can see that clicking on an enemy in the forest at night with the camera so zoomed out is very difficult unless you pause the game). They already had the aggro when you issued that command, leading to that unwanted behavior, just as Bruno said.

So this is working as intended, but I’ll ping @max99x to see it because this could be something we might want to address in the future. It is confusing for you, and I’m sure more players would get frustrated to see this behavior.

2 Likes