Hi, how’s it going. I suggested this over a year ago on the steam forums, but after watching the building overhaul desktop tuesday, I feel it is time to bring it up again:
- Every block in the game should be put into one of four categories: Foundation, Floors, Walls, and Roofs
- These categories should only pertain to the xray mode and should not have any affect in any other part of the game.
- Each category would have a mode similar to the current “slab” mode, where you can place individual blocks and they will register from whatever category you chose them from.
- Hearthlings should build from the lowest voxel from the outside in, regardless of what category it is in. So they will create the bottom layer, then the next layer, then build scaffolding on the outside of each next layer as needed. Theoretically, this approach should mitigate most of the building difficulties we face.
- Windows and doors should be unbound to walls and should be place-able on any qualifying surface. Again, the category of blocks should only affect xray modes.
- And the requirements of what block can/cannot be built on what block should be removed. Let players decide what they want to see through and what they don’t. So if they want to build a statue that doesn’t disappear, they would use foundation blocks.
- We need an extra building xray mode for seeing through multiple floors. The “Floors” category would refer to this as blocks that will disappear with this new xray mode. Every floor would dissapear, so you will only see the foundation. It might be debate-able that natural blocks should disappear in this mode as well. I see this mode being used mostly to select objects that are in a multi-story building or in a cave.
- The feature of hearthlings building (then unbuilding) scaffolding when they get stuck would be nice in the future as well. It wouldn’t negate ladders because it is time consuming to constantly build and unbuild for each individual hearthling. But it would prevent save-breaking situations.
- Please, Please, Please, just add a few natural blocks in the foundation category so we can replace the terrain. You can take them out again when you add the Geomancer. But we got nothing for it right now.
Love the game. Hope you listen to my suggestions. Even if you don’t like them, I hope the game might still improve somehow because of them or similar ideas. Thanks.