How to support joint translation efforts?

I don’t know to which font are you referring to, but I’ll say that the font which says ‘Founder’s Manual’ is Grobold, and the font used to explain what do you have to do first is Autourone. The font you’re saying that has accents, if it is like an ancient writing, for example to write in a papyrus (I don’t know if it’s the font for the character sheet’s log) I think it’s Blackbeard.

1 Like

i have been translating on and off for some time and now i am thinking of postponing it till i get my hands on the game (im not on the alpha list sadly) so i get a clear idea of what should be done to
1-make the text appear or have better appearance
2-look at all the context of the “thoughts”

so im looking forward to the release to start again my journey to make this game available in arabic! (even tho there is probably no arabic speaking person that knows about this game lol)

We may find one on Browse Fonts - Google Fonts or http://www.fontspace.com/ - but first we must get some quotes with as many as possible unique characters to check.

I am currently checking with phrase “zażółć gęślą jaźń 강남스타일 日本ひらがな” (polish unique chars, korean hangul, japan kanji and hiragana).
And atm I found one (o_O) unicode font which supports Korean symbols.

…or we may have 2-3 fonts for each ‘task’. First for latin-extended and cyrillic, second for Japanese, third for Korean…

1 Like

…you haven’t mentioned chinese. In my particular case, I need that áÁéÉíÍóÓúÚüÜñÑ look good within the font, in an only character or combining an accent with the character.
For the moment, I have found several fonts with extended latin that caught my attention,

I also found one arabic font(with latin extended) and one nubian font (with coptic characters @_@). And other fonts with exotic characters (tibetan, myanmar, khmer, nepal) but I doubt we’ll need these ones (correct me if I’m wrong, I just find them beautiful).

Last, I found funny typographies like Burnstown Dam (and MisterVampire).
Only people who use typographies with special chars know if they look beautiful within the game or not ^^U
I’ll keep searching for typographies because I don’t really know if the ones I mentioned look enough right (though I should try them as @Sdee suggested) and I haven’t found for korean, japanese and chinese characters.

(By the way… do these posts belong here? Should they be in the ‘How to support joint translation efforts’ thread?)

2 Likes

good call! :+1:

1 Like

That’s Latin-1 Supplement according to FontSpace. Latin-1 Supplement is even in Berlin Sans :stuck_out_tongue:
So - first things first - let’s check it with phrase ąĄćĆęĘłŁńŃóÓśŚżŻźŹ. All of these chars are in Latin Extended-A.

Sans Serif FLF - Um…
Basic and Suplement are, Extended-A (except “łŁ”) aren’t :confused:
Essays 1743 - Good
Basic, Supplement, Ext-A, Ext-B… just WOW.
RM Typewriter - Ouch…
Only Basic and Supplement
Minya Nouvelle - Nice
Basic, Supplement, Ext-A and B. :smile:
Foo Font - Good (Recommended? xD)
Basic, Supplement, Ext-A, Ext-B and Cyryllic… lowercase is just a little smaller here ;p
Lavi - Erm…
Basic and Supplement only.
Lateef
Arabic + Basic and Supplement
Sophia Nubian
Coptic + Basic and Supplement
Burnstown Dam
Basic, Supplement, Ext-A, Ext-B. A little funny but nice.
MisterVampire
Only Basic Latin

I did a little checking with phrase which contained all greek, cyrillic and polish letters. And there are my results in searching DaFont.
ALL entries have Latin Extended-A, Cyrillic and Greek
Aquarion
Sans-serif, may look nice in descriptions. Free.
Caviar Dreams
Similar to Sans Serif FLF. Free. Also exists a little better looking version with “Free for personal use” clause.
Cleanvertising - Night Sparrow’s Sign of Approval (Main)
Donationware. Would look very nice as main font.
Comfortaa
Just… wow. Free.
Gaps
Heh, funny a little. Free.
Jura
Just see for yourself. GPL.
Probolinggo
Funny looking, but has all. Free for personal use.
Proletarsk
May be useable in descriptions. Free.
Tellural - Night Sparrow’s Sign of Approval (Secondary)
Nice looking font. Free for personal use.
Tuffy
Only regular font has Cyrillic and Greek. Public Domain.
Yiggivoo
Funny looking font. Public domain.

When we will have font for over half of the area (Europe, Both Americas, Oceania, Most of Africa and about half of Asia?), we may focus on more ‘exotic’ fonts, I think.

1 Like

Keep in mind that the font needs to be used commercially (for a reasonable price). GPL likely is a no-go already and just because a font is free for personal use does not mean that the same terms apply for a company.

Every font on that site has e-mail address of the author. So we could contact them and ask directly about using it.

edited ‘may’ to ‘could’

I think that’s something Radiant should do, not we.

Personally, I’m not sure if there is really a need for a font that covers all. Translations could define a font to use - it’s easier to find a good looking font for a certain unicode space than one that covers all.

That’s why I have limited my checking from ‘All Unicode’ to ‘Latin-Ext + Cyrillic + Greek’. Those three systems (mostly Cyrillic and Latin-ext. Looks like Greek is used only in Greece and Cyprus) are used on ~75% of area and on ~50% of Earth population, according to Wikipedia.

That’s why I looked for ‘free for commercial use’ only. I’ve found more but they’re not free. Certainly we will have several fonts, it’s impossible to find 7 different typographies that support all the extensions and supplements, and for free.

P.S.: I like the Comfortaa one that @phoriist mentioned , it’s so complete and plus free :star2:_:star2:
In addition it’s quite nice.

2 Likes

Mini spam, just want to highlight in this thread that the software I was talking about before is released for public testing - alpha :wink:

Check the thread here for more info:

1 Like

So if I can be of any help, then I’m with it. However this should proceed.

1 Like

I think for the moment we can only volunteer over there…

Put me in for Croatian