How do you play Stonehearth? How do you plan to Play Stonehearth when its finished?

According to the stonehearth Website the game will have support for a massive amount of differing playstyles when its finished.
http://stonehearth.net/stonehearth

We know that there are lots of different play-styles for this kind of game. Some players want to focus on building an incredibly awesome city with happy, well-fed citizens. Others focus on building a strong army and exploring/conquering the realm. Many just want to tinker with the simulations in the game world. We want you to play the game the way you want to, so as you play the world will respond to your choices.<

The topic of this discussion is:
How do you Play the game, and how do you hope to play the game when its finished?

I for one, at the moment like building little idyllic happy villages, and making attempts at megaprojects.

When its finished i actually plan to focus more on the exploration/conquest aspect. By taking on dungeons, and monsters and titans.

I am very excited at the idea of taking on a titan and conquering the realm with my army of soldiers and archers and mages.

Death To the Goblins!

4 Likes

When the game is done, Iā€™d really like to have a big army, equipped with full adamantine armor and weapons. Also Iā€™d have a very forge heavy society, with lots of magma smiths, geomancers, and engineers. Also Iā€™ll play as dwarfs if you hadnā€™t already guessedā€¦

2 Likes

My plan is coop and single player survive and thrive. Dwarf fortress style. Itā€™s what gets me the most excited about the game.

Build a marvelous city while simultaneously keeping your population fed, happy, and safe. Building walls, defenses, and a protective army to fend off goblins, titans, and whatever else Radiant throws at us.

Personally not interested in Conquest or pvp if Iā€™m honest. I can see the appeal, though.

3 Likes

When the game is done Iā€™ll probably do what I normally do and make it as automated as possible, then letting it run until things go very very wrong. Or I make a very nice wooden city and burn it to the ground.

2 Likes

Iā€™ll be happy when Iā€™ve a nigh-indestructible industrial megalopolis filled with mega-projects and such :slight_smile: .

1 Like

I want to create vast networks of roads, trading systems, and of course, interesting and functioning cities. I feel that these were some of the things I always wanted to do with real-time strategy gamesā€“such as Age of Empires and Warcraftā€“but they never seemed to be that important of game concepts. Iā€™m looking forward to Stonehearth being more than simply ā€œconstruct buildings, create troops, annihilate everyoneā€ā€“not that that isnā€™t good or fun, mind you, but just because thatā€™s always been such a predominate gameplay format in the genre for me. The possible variety in gameplay modes and goals is something that I really hope shines in Stonehearth.

2 Likes

@SteveAdamo is there a reason I can like these posts? it says I have a limitā€¦ :confused:

1 Like

I believe there is a daily (or perhaps hourly?) limit on the number of posts one can ā€œlikeā€ā€¦

3 Likes

:frowning: well that hasnt happened beforeā€¦

2 Likes

@naturalnuke The problem is that you have too much love :smiley: Or at least too many likesā€¦

4 Likes

I am kind of methodical and I like being ultra defensive. So I would be playing kind of a dwarf fortress styleā€¦ turtle up and survive. Although there is a bit more in this game so I would still be ultra defensive and use small parties to experience the rest of the game.

3 Likes

My dream is to have a huge ā€˜role-playā€™ server, to ā€˜make changes in itā€™ā€¦ I know it sounds similar to SAOā€™s Kayaba (aka Heathcliff). My ā€˜worldā€™ would be rather strategy-oriented though. Building your first town, gaining power/prestige to get more room/towns, planned attacks etc. etcā€¦ I wonder if it will be available sooner or later :slight_smile:

Technically, it could be a ā€œMap Gameā€, but in Stonehearth.

3 Likes

Iā€™m an explorer with a side order of achiever. I always like to see everything and do everything a game has to offer. I like to do ALL the things.

When I played Dwarf Fortress it was strictly in Fortress Mode and while Fun I really wanted a game more like this with pretty graphics, intuitive controls and less likelihood of being crushed by an extra Fun event.

1 Like

You found a goblin crossbow man. He fired into your eye killing you instantly. :smile:

2 Likes

Honestly, I really wanted to get into DF. But due to the graphics (ascii art sucks, the graphic packs were annoying to deal with) and extremely non-user-friendly controls, I just couldnā€™t. But if I had to choose one of the two, Iā€™d say it was the controls that did it for me. I canā€™t enjoy a game if I canā€™t use the controls. :frowning:

Other than that tho, I really liked the premise and was/am hoping to see some/a lot of that in stonehearth.

It would be nice if the devs would add a ā€˜funā€™ mode. :wink:

3 Likes

But losing is fun!

I understand your gripes with the game though. I dust DF off every couple years and play it heavily for a while. Every time I need to watch tutorials for a week before I can play, I just can never remember everything. I really enjoy the game and losingā€¦ but when I tried to spark it up a few weeks ago I found myself just completely unable to summon the energy to relearn how to play again. I ended up playing for a couple nights and then quitting again.

2 Likes

If by fun you mean ā€œpeacefulā€ mode, that will be staying.

If by fun you mean getting to recreate Boatmurderedā€¦ worst case itā€™ll require a bit of modding to get just right :wink: .

1 Like

Yeah, DF is really tough. I played for a while once and really liked the idea but just found it so cumbersome that I couldnā€™t really enjoy it.

I think Stonehearth will offer the ability to enjoy a similar game that both stands well on itā€™s own and also has the ability to be modded to feel more like DF. It may not have that incredible level of simulation but it ought to be fun enough either way.

2 Likes

For some reason, Stonehearth reminds me of the game Zeus: Master of Olympus as well its predecessor, the Caesar game seriesā€¦ Warehouses, defences, future roads, professions. Itā€™s gonna be 100x better though, just because of the freedom voxel-based building offers

The focus of my gameplay would be to build a massive fortress surrounded by a sprawling, self-sustaining city that covers the entire map. Iā€™m hoping the leveled enemies will keep things interesting, even when I have top-tier defensive units to fight back. Iā€™m also looking forward to SimCity-style disasters (droughts, floods, cave-ins) as well as other issues to deal with (crime, Ultrosā€™s gang :octopus:, rogue citizens, etc)

Letā€™s hope my shite 2008 laptop can keep up with this gameā€™s progress until I can upgrade :smile:

4 Likes

The map will expand in the future you know (think Minecraft)ā€¦

4 Likes