House Construction Stops AND Building Becomes Invalid

Summary: When constructing a house the villagers will flock to the house to work on the construction of it. If anything interrupts the builders, like say queuing up too many gathering tasks, they will go and perform the gathering tasks but not return to the building of the home. In addition, unfinished and finished homes loose their “building plan” when the game is saved and reloaded. This may be a separate issue, but seemed linked.

Steps to reproduce: Start the construction of a house and let the villagers get to building. When the walls are partly finished queue up a large gathering area, like say 10 trees or something. When the glitch happens, AKA they don’t return to work, save the game and reload it.

Expected Results: When all workers leave the construction of the house, the house will remain in limbo and will not be finished. They will NOT return to work, even if you go to the planning stage and click on “Start Building” again. When you save and then reload the map the house will be in it’s separate components (Wall, Corner, Front Wall, etc.) and you can’t access it in the planning window anymore. It becomes a half-finished house that’s unable to be finished or removed.

Actual Results: I’ve repeated this procedure 6 times with it only failing 1 time, but I believe that was due to the wood crafter being “stuck”, which is another bug that’s already reported.

Notes: If you collect resources for the house and make the parts for it (windows, etc) before hand, they will successfully finish the house so long as not interrupted by anything.

Versions and Mods: Version Alpha 4 - No Mods

System Information:

• Processor: AMD FX-8320 (8 Core) 3.5Ghz
  • Memory: 8GB PC3-12800 DDR3
  • Video: ATI Radeon HD 5500
  • Sound: Realtek HD Audio
  • Storage1: 128GB SSD (Win 7)
  • Storage2: 2TB SATA
4 Likes

hey there @DJ_Jackel … welcome aboard! :smile:

first post out of the gate, and you follow the suggested format? I see good things in your future my friend… :wink:

1 Like

I’m far from new to forums my good man, having operated several for many years. You can’t do that seriously and not respect the forums of others. :wink:

2 Likes

Similar Bug with building houses:
(including UI Glitch with new Migrant in the screenshot, just as a little extra :wink: )

Summary: When building houses close to walls, then workers stop building them.

Steps to reproduce: Start the construction of a
house close to a natural wall (1-2 tiles next to it).

Expected Results: A finished house obviously :smile:

Actual Results: I’ve repeated this with a couple of buildings. The workers finish the outer walls, but stop working on the walls close to the natural cliff. The scaffolds stay.

Notes: Seems you need at least 3 empty tiles between the house and a cliff.

Versions and Mods: Version Alpha 4 - No Mods

System Information:
Windows 8.1 | Intel® Core™
i7-3630QM CPU @ 2.40GHz | 8GB system memory | Intel® HD Graphics 4000
(4.0.0 - Build 10.18.10.3621)

2 Likes

I feel like that last issue was mentioned at some point somewhere else, but I can’t seem to find it right now. Perhaps someone else will remember?

There is another post similar to this only with walls, and there a complete crash of the game occurs, not everytime thought, it’s a bit random.

Ah, right. I’ve seen that one as well, but I had another one in mind that was indeed with an actual house being built near a cliff. Unless I’m just going crazy keeping track of each bug :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

ha ha yeah well there are quite a few of them out there and more coming :smiley:
But the Radiants are doing great so far squashing them :sunny:

1 Like

This one?

2 Likes

certainly seems similar… @Phagocytosis … thoughts? :smile:

Just wanted to mention this also keeps happening to me with both buildings and walls. It seems to have something to do with building near the sides of elevations. I’ve tested multiple times and it does seem to most likely to occur during elevations although I have had it happen on 3 other occasions in the middle of a field. I find this a bit strange because it worked perfectly when in the unstable branch.

Can we try to keep on topic here, so my original bug report doesn’t get ignored? My report has nothing to do with proximity to other structures or walls. That was added by @Xsiberg in the 4th post. The original topic was that houses can become bugged during construction if all of those building the house leave the construction to perform other tasks. Included was the fact that if the GUI gets bugged, or a save/reload happens, the houses loose their “floor plan” and become simple objects (Wall, corner post, ceiling, etc.) preventing them from being finished or removed. While testing this issue I’ve also noticed;

• If they drop a resource on the house when leaving it, that resource will not be recovered.
  • If you try to “remove” a house that has doodads in it, the walls with doodads won’t be removed.
  • Windows seem to be the cause of a lot of issues during construction, as I never have a house fail when I leave them out.
  • You have to build the doodads that will be placed in a house, or they won’t be placed.
  • If you queue up a lot of builds in a workbench, it will occasionally skip some. (Queued up 8 windows, only got 5, and had plenty of wood)

I can confirm the original posts bug.

1 Like

Yup! That’s the one I was thinking of!

@DJ_Jackel, I’m sorry, it’s just that I’d never heard of yours and the other one was quick to ‘deal with’ in terms of identifying it. If I come across the bug you originally reported, I’ll reply back here.

@Xsiberg

I encountered the bug you were talking about where builders would stop building buildings placed close to walls. This thread is quite old and about alpha 4 but I found this workaround:

I figured that they simply couldn’t reach the ladders to climb the wall and placing ladders inside the building got rid of the issue. It is still a bug that should be fixed, either by not allowing you to build close to walls or by enabling the builders to build ladders and scaffolding inside unfinished buildings.

1 Like