Hearthlings eating raw when better options are plentiful

Summary:
Hearhlings will select raw food that is less pleasing to them, even though higher quality options are plentiful.

Version Number and Mods in use:
b01r864 vanilla

System Information:
Win10 x64

2 Likes

I’m pretty sure I’ve seen this, too, in past versions, but just to make sure, is that hearthling a vegetarian? It looks like the only cooked food you have there is meat.

1 Like

Good possible catch. I’ll double check and update the thread.

1 Like

I had this in my last game. Yes, the bug is still there. Hearthlings will sometimes grab raw food even when cooked is available. I even put away my raw food storage so that they wouldn’t eat it, but they went out of their way to get food from the farms on their way to the dining hall. I have storage chests holding cooked foods of both types (vegetarian and meat) right next to the door of the dining hall and that still wasn’t sufficient. :frowning: This is kinda irritating, especially if I’m trying for the hearth of cheer.

2 Likes

Nope. Not a vegetarian. Unless I’m just missing it?

Also: Check out those dislikes. Yikes.

1 Like

I notice as well I cant make the meat stew hardly at all because they mow down all the jerky.

1 Like

As normal people would, i mean it’s pretty good lol

3 Likes

As far as I can tell, Hearthlings will eat the closest food to them when they are hungry. If they go to a container with multiple types of food they will pick the “tastiest”. But if there are some carrots lying in a field that are closer they will unhappily much on them and then complain.

If I ever fall behind in hauling and food is scattered across my dining room and fields it’s pretty common for my hearthlings to get all sad and weepy.

1 Like

I’ve noticed the “only consider the absolute closest food item” behaviour/bug as well – it’s particularly nasty when my vegetarian hearthlings are hanging around the trapping zones helping to haul in the catch.

I’ve started putting “eating stations”, complete with stocked chests of cooked food, around my town in the hopes that it’ll reduce the instance of vegetarians nomming down on raw bug meat.

1 Like

I tried that too. Sadly because everyone is so scattered around when it’s meal time, combined with the penchant to just drop stuff on the ground everywhere, the closest food can be literally anywhere…

1 Like

I’ll take a look, but if you have a save which reproduces this, it’ll save me some time.

1 Like

Take a look at the engineer in this save:

1 Like

Milaga 1529439029033 Wol Moro.7z (8.4 MB)

It’s just about dinner time in my old fort. All the hearthlings are going to eat dinner in the building with the tapestries on the outside walls. Many will grab meat stew but some walk past the containers of stew and grab raw corn off shelves.

If you order the hearthlings to harvest all the prickly pair cactus by the inner wall, many of them will be harvesting or hauling at the time. They don’t seem to eat the cactus, but I think I’ve seen hearthlings haul pears to a dinner table and then eat jerky or something else, yet I never saw them pick up any other food.

1 Like

This will be fixed in the next release. Also, cool city!

5 Likes

@max99x Thank you! I love you Max! :merry: It has been driving me crazy trying to keep the raw foods away from everyone.

2 Likes

Thanks and thanks! I’m really digging the new builder!