Hearthlings and Eating Optimization Question/Idea

So, I’m using the Stonehearth Café mod and it threw an error. The part of the message that caught my eye was an hour_listener. I was just curious, does that mean every hour of every day the game pings each hearthling to check if they’re hungry? Is this just a Stonehearth Café specific thing? The reason I’m asking is, once ya get 20+ heathlings that’s 480+ checks the game makes a day (assuming the days are 24 hours and the game doesn’t turn this off for the duration of sleeping).

Wouldn’t it be simpler to just assign 2 times of day the game rings a dinner bell and everyone goes to eat? I know that ignores the whole Body affecting how long they’re able to hold out bit. An exception would have to be made for Night Owls, unless they sleep between breakfast and lunch, and hearthlings in combat to make sure they hang onto that command until they’re free to eat. Would also cut down on odd instances where all but 1 or 2 of your patrolling group are eating and the others get attacked. Just wondered if simplifying it would help cut some AI clutter to help the game run a bit smoother.

If this isn’t the case, I misunderstood the code, or that’s already how it works (thanks @YetiChow), my apologies.

1 Like

I believe it already works using the “dinner bell” method you suggest; except I don’t think there are three meals a day. From memory it was only one, near the middle of the day; but that may have been changed recently alongside the happiness improvements.

1 Like

Yeah they changed it. Just went through a game day, they eat in the morning and at night. Guess I should change that from 3 to 2 lol. Wasn’t sure how the mechanic worked at the code level. I knew a large group ate together staggered by distance they had to travel and possibly Body modifiers. That error message just got me wondering…

1 Like