Giant zombie in my mine

I have some of those rock monsters in my caves, they clip completely through the ceiling of the mine its in and in to the mine above. it’s rather funny to see the monster stroll by my hearthlings and they just go on about their day.

Probably should have a height check for monsters at some point. Also I’m impressed that a 30 ton rock monster can use a tiny wooden ladder. Good builders Hearthlings.

2 Likes

I picture it something like this

8 Likes

Personally I think, the spawns should have a minimal distance to everything “influenced by your hearthlings”. That sounds terribly squishy as a definition, but it’s actually already implemented (accident or not) in X-Ray view. So basically I would say that there should be no spawns within X blocks of anything visible in X-Ray mode. How big X could be is a different question, I would probably go for something like half or 3/4 visibility range.

On a different side note, can we ever expect premade caves within mountains? Those would be great places to have giant spawns of all kinds of evil! :smiley:

ahhh come on that’s a pretty common situation for me. it feels like an abusive game admin is watching my game and spawning camps right in front of me.

here it started with one giant zombie camp, i ended up fighting 4 of these, some were even spawning during the fight
and i never got the loot back…

and here are some native cave wolfs:

1 Like

i could say, i dont build streets, i build a normal House floor in my mine, but i will test it today.
I dig out the whole hill and search for burried enemys^^

[quote=“Raffo, post:23, topic:19897”]
Personally I think, the spawns should have a minimal distance to everything “influenced by your hearthlings”.
[/quote]well quite a few alphas back (from before the goblin war campaign) goblins couldn’t spawn within a certain distance of anything you built, but that was very easily exploited because you could just place “blocks” of flooring all over the map and prevent goblin’s spawning at all…

really, its a tricky thing to go about, while we want something to aid in less spawns of enemy’s, we don’t really want something that easily exploitable. one thought i had was if they made the new safety banners act similar to the starting banner and have enemy’s not spawn within a certain radius of it. but again, that could easily e exploited because you could just place safety banners all over the map… :confused:

2 Likes

One approach is to use heat maps. As hearthlings move they heat the area. You then use the heat map to spawn enemies in the coldest region. This guarantees that they spawn in a area that is not important to you.

Soon they will move to you (to attack), and you to them (to defend) changing the heat map and maybe heating that area, thus making new enemies spawn now in a different area then the previous one, as like they are always looking for the most calm place to spawn.

2 Likes

I see the problem, @8BitCrab, though couldn’t then someone just play a peaceful game to begin with? And shouldn’t simply larger maps solve this problem?

Anyway, I love the idea of @BrunoSupremo, this is dynamic, simply cannot be exploited (because you wouldn’t have enough hearthlings to fake that much activity), and it even prevents goblins, zombies and wolves spawning in the same area!

2 Likes

What about spawning the creature off map and have it walk to its destination. Then when there its stuff like fires would spawn in. That way you could give the enemy height checks and it’d end up in reasonable places without poofing. Have it walk away when its timer is up. As for unclimbable walls, let them climb them but slowly.

love when i start playing and i see this

1 Like

now there’s a third giant zombie ;-;

3 Likes

now i gonna disappoint some ppl:

wolfes spawned while i was building!

the flag wasn’t far away too!

But i build on the ground layer and had no connection (ladders or stairs) to the higher areas, when these wolves spawned.

Hey I recommend to use the tunneldoors to separate Areas you don’t use at the moment and walls if the area is too big (if you want to mine there later you can easily “pack up/delete” the door and wall.
I personally use a kind of “System” to mine but for ambiente it might not be the best:

but it really helps keeping the enemies in line because they can’t use the doors and the hearthlings can escape into another room realtive fast.
It does NOT prevent enemies from spawning I already had a giant Zombie in the upper right room and a goblin camp and Stone Monsters in the one beneath. But so far all my hearthlings survived :slight_smile:

It could be an easy fix like in Minecraft … put up lots of torches - eliminate dark spots where the monsters spawn?

I used to build lots of workrooms and storage caverns inside the mountain I like to usually build next to but once they introduced monsters spawning inside mines, I quit doing that. My latest town is completely above ground (Desert biome) except for a few mining tunnels in the cliffs that I put ladders up to and then removed the ladders once I was done getting ore out of that area… problem solved. If there’s no ladder up there, nothing spawns.

with the current way lights work that would be a serious problem, as too many lights can cause a massive performance drop, and sometimes even a crash.

so before something like that could be done they would have to revisit the way lights are set up.

2 Likes

Oh right! I hadn’t even thought of the performance issues. I have a ton more wall lanterns in my mining tunnels this time around because performance (lag) hasn’t been nearly as much of an issue for me since the end release of A14 current build. Maybe just one wall lantern every 10 or so blocks would be a wide enough radius to keep the baddies from spawning in the shadows?

2 Likes

even though that could work, TR is going to need to revisit lights eventually anyways, so it would almost be best to just not do anything special with them until lights were “fixed” to not drop performance.

1 Like

i have just got in the habit of walling off my tunnels completely when dont mining the ore veins.

How about landclaim similar to settler 2-4 and ris of nations? To claim territory you need to place a safety flag and atleast 1 footman to protect it. Unclaimed territory still can be used or build on, but only the claimed area is 1000% safe. Can’t be exploited too easy, since you always need 1 footman per flag. Additionaly such system could be empowered by personal stuff, like beds and other hearthling related furniture or even simply the pure number of your residents. Even food and value of goods could influence your territory.

1 Like