Ghost objects appearing in the world

So This has happened to me several times; what happens is I would want to place a decor item in a custom building and when I click where I want it, the game kicks me out of the building editing mode. So far this has happened to me with Flower beds (Both kinds [the wooden ones you can start with]) and the market stall. What happens is that it acts like its really there but cant be used, moved, or destroyed. I believe this is a visual glitch of sorts but I do not know for sure.

Steps to reproduce:

1. place flower beds or blue market stall next to a wall in a building overview

Expected Results:
Places the object plan like any other decor or item in the game.

Actual Results:
Ghost object appears like your in editing mode but nothing can remove it.

Notes: Not sure what this is used for but when I click report a bug in the game menu it gives me this string of letters and numbers:

62c0bd9a-f6cd-11e6-8197-ac220b83396f

*Don’t know how to access the save game so I can attach it to this topic

Attachments:

Version Number and Mods in use:
Version: 701
Mods: the two forced and the rayyas childern

Here is the second image that I took:

You can’t edit already built buildings, that’s not supported.
Adding items this way with the building editor will lead to this bug.

What you need to do is placing the items with the Placement UI instead (hotkey “P”).

OK, But sometimes It was during the editing, before I even started the building phase.

I had a similar bug just now, but it was in a building I was FINISHED editing (i.e. I designed and built it a while ago and had not messed with it in a while).

Steps to Reproduce:
The building originally had multiple Mean Beds, and I had returned them to the stockpile to replace them with Comfy Beds. After telling the villagers to place all of the Comfy Beds, I returned later to find one of the beds was still ghosted (as if someone were about to place it there, but no one was performing that action).

When I click on the ghosted bed, the building edit menu pops up (as if I were still editing the building, though, as I said, I finished editing and built this building a while ago):

If I click “Pause Building”, it changes to “Continue Building”, but otherwise nothing happens.

When I clicked “Remove” and then “Remove this Building”, I got the following error message:

release-701 (x64)
std::logic_error: ‘invalid reference in native get_id’
stack traceback:
radiant/modules/common.lua:237: in function ‘report_traceback’
radiant/modules/common.lua:248: in function <radiant/modules/common.lua:242>
[C]: in function ‘get_id’
radiant/modules/entities.lua:308: in function ‘get_world_grid_location’
…onehearth/components/building/building_component.lua:605: in function ‘fn’
radiant/controllers/nonpersistent_timer.lua:56: in function ‘fire’
radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.lua:82: in function <radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.lua:82>
[C]: in function ‘xpcall’
radiant/modules/common.lua:257: in function ‘xpcall’
radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.lua:82: in function ‘set_now’
radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.lua:103: in function ‘increment_now’
radiant/modules/timer.lua:13: in function ‘instance’
radiant/modules/events.lua:291: in function <radiant/modules/events.lua:285>
[C]: in function ‘xpcall’
radiant/modules/common.lua:257: in function ‘xpcall’
radiant/modules/events.lua:285: in function ‘trigger’
radiant/modules/events.lua:398: in function ‘_trigger_gameloop’
radiant/modules/events.lua:446: in function ‘_update’
radiant/server.lua:61: in function <radiant/server.lua:58>

Dust also appeared around the building, as if it were going to be destroyed, but nothing happened. My computer also started running really slow at this point, so I closed the game. In fact, my computer starts crawling as soon as the building editor menu pops up.

Note: when I re-loaded my save just prior to this, the ghosted bed was still there, but this time when I tried to click “remove” and “remove building”, it DID in fact destroy the building without an error message. However, this didn’t solve my problem of having a ghosted bed that is unusable and that I can’t get rid of without destroying the whole building.

Expected Result: Bed should not be ghosted, and nothing except an item description should occur when I click on the bed.

Actual Result: Bed is ghosted, and when I click it, the building editor menu pops up, and the only way to remove the bed is to destroy the whole building.

1 Like

Yes, this is when the items are not actually touching the building, or not recognized as part of the building (they get considered a separate building part, but they are bugged anyway).

Did you place all of the comfy beds with the placement UI, or maybe some of them with the building editor?

@Relyss: All of the Comfy Beds were placed with with placement UI (i.e. clicking on the bed in the stockpile, clicking the button with the green arrow in the bottom left corner, then clicking on the location in the building where I wanted to place it). The original building only had Mean Beds (which were placed as part of the original building design).

1 Like

UPDATE: The problem seems to have resolved itself - after playing for a day or so (in-game day), I looked back and the bed was no longer ghosted, acts like a normal bed when clicked on, and can be assigned to and used by a villager. Not sure what happened, and I did not interact with the bed during this time.

@Relyss I have the same issue as far as when i place things inside of buildings using the placement UI it opens up the building as if it were being edited and placed with the build editor.

1 Like