Games Won't Play: No Bottom Bar & Is Paused

Hey, So i bought the game Stone Hearth yesterday on steam and it worked fine yesterday but it was when i logged off that it all went weird. When i load the game its all fine and that but when i get into the actual game play i cant do anything the game is in a constant pause and the bottom bar inst there. I’ve tried using the keyboard but still doesn’t work. The only things that work are the sound and the ability to move the screen. I don’t know if it helps of not but the symbol of stone hearth in the task bar inst the stone hearth symbol its a irregular window symbol. I only got the game yesterday and i spent a lot of money on a game that currently doesn’t work so please help me!

Welcome to the forum, @Pixier :slight_smile:

Could you try typing Alt-Z and see if that shows the UI?

2 Likes

Hi @Pixier! Welcome to the Discourse! :slight_smile:

I’m sorry to hear you’re having problems running the game. If Relyss’s suggestion doesn’t resolve your issue, let’s take a look at a few things to start with, which will help us nail down where the problem might be:

1. What version of the game are you playing? If you’re not sure where to find that information, you can simply provide us with your stonehearth.log file, which can be found here: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stonehearth assuming you just installed the game normally.

2. Can you tell us a little about the computer you’re using? What kind of CPU and Graphics Card are you using? Also, how much RAM (memory) does your computer have?

1 Like

Thanks @Relyss! :grin: And i just tried your suggestion but it didn’t work… :cry:

1. I followed the instructions but it brought me to a folder with a whole bunch of stuff in it and i didn’t know what to do… (little more help with this please)

2. My laptop is a Toshiba and has
    RAM: 4 GB
    Processor: 1.35 GHz
    Based Processor: 64 bit
    Operating System: 64bit

Thanks. Also, what version of Windows are you running?

1. Find your stonehearth.log file. By default, it is located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stonehearth (assuming a default Steam install).
  2. Hit CTRL-F on your keyboard. This will open a search dialog. Type in stonehearth.log and hit Enter. This will effectively filter out all the other files in that folder.
  3. Upload the file here. You can optionally copy it out to someplace easier to find first.
  4. To upload the log file, you can use the upload button or drag and drop it into the compose window,
  5. If you can’t upload it directly to Discourse for whatever reason, you can also upload it to a cloud storage site like Dropbox, Google Drive, File Dropper, etc. and post the sharing link here instead.

Please let me know if you still run into any trouble providing stonehearth.log.

1 Like
  1. i’m running on Windows 10

2.stonehearth.log (77.2 KB)
And that should be the stonehearth.log file

1 Like

Thanks for the log. For testing purposes, also having your save game handy would be beneficial. Instructions are similar to the above for stonehearth.log.

I’m specifically looking for the savegame referenced in the log file: C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stonehearth\saved_games\ 1475442026641

1. Find the save folder for the saves you wish to upload. By default, they are located in C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stonehearth\saved_games (assuming a default Steam install).
  2. Zip the folder.
  3. Right click the folder (should be a long set of numbers).
  4. Left click on Send to in the menu that appears.
  5. Left click on `Compressed (Zipped) folder).
  6. (Optional) Rename the folder to something different than the default set of numbers.
  7. Upload the save.
  8. If the zip is less than 10 MB, you can upload it directly. Either use the upload button or drag and drop it into the compose window,
  9. If larger than 10 MB, upload it to a cloud storage site like Dropbox, Google Drive, File Dropper, etc. and post the sharing link here.
1 Like

Okay here is the folder 1475442026641 zip folder.zip (3.8 MB)

1 Like

Thanks! We’ll take a look! :slight_smile:

1 Like

Okay! :grin: Thank you for all the help so far! :stuck_out_tongue_winking_eye:

@Relyss took a look at your save but it unfortunately loaded fine. I’d like to take a closer look at your computer’s specifications to make sure it’s powerful enough to run the game.

Can you provide the exact model number of your Toshiba so we can look it up?

1 Like

Toshiba SATELLITE C50D-B-120

Alternatively, in the mean time, try loading your game. If the bottom bar is still gone, try pressing Alt + F5 to see if it will reload your UI.

1 Like

Thanks for the suggestion but it didn’t work… :cry:

Hi @Pixier,

Unfortunately, it seems your computer does not meet the minimum requirements to play Stonehearth. We were unable to replicate the problem you’re seeing either, which does suggest this is related to just your computer.

I wish there were some other options here, but I can only recommend trying out Stonehearth again on hardware that meets the minimum requirements listed here:

http://stonehearth.net/some-technical-stuff/

1 Like

Okay. Thank you for all the help you have given me i’m really grateful! :blush: But could you answer me this when i start a new game it all works fine its just when i try to load a saved file? Does this mean anything?Can we expand this further? Or is it just the reason that my computers not beefy enough? Anyways many thanks! :grin:
-Sophie

Your save had few hearthlings and it loaded fine on our computers (the UI appeared). Was the game running slow on your laptop? Did you have the game’s graphic settings on low or higher?

If you want to try reinstalling the game just in case… :disappointed_relieved:

Copy your savefiles to a different place to be able to restore them later, and make sure you delete the entire Stonehearth folder (the one that’s inside C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\ ).

Then, reinstall the game. (Maybe you’ll have to restart Steam to make it aware that the game needs to be downloaded again).

In any case, the minimum processor required is Intel or AMD Dual-Core, 2.0 GHz, and you have 1.35GHz, which is less, so the game will be slow in your computer or have other performance problems.

1 Like

I tried what you said and unfortunately it didn’t work… Thank you for all the help anyways it is much appreciated! But as my final question is should i get a whole new laptop (that meets the standards & is better = very expensive) or see if i could change my laptops core processor for a more faster one ( works faster, might not be able to do but = cheaper still expensive) but anyways again thank you, you have been very helpful! :yum:

If Toshiba offers such an upgrade capability, it might be worth exploring. In my experience though, it’s rarely an option as laptop motherboard compatibility with other CPUs is typically very limited (and often not possible at all).