Game Discounts and more!

In case anyone wants it right now is the crusader kings daily sale. $20 for Crusader Kings Complete, Crusader Kings 2, 21 DLC for 2, and a companion ebook.

for all you aspiring game makers out there, you can grab a number of RPG Maker tools, bonus packs and games for quite the stealā€¦ :smiley:

1 Like

What is RPG maker? I want to know what I am buying before I purchase.

its an application that tries to simplify the process of creating your own RPG (via drag and drop mechanics, pre-fab art, sounds, etc.)

Maybe I will spend some cash this week after allā€¦

yeah, thereā€™s quite a few ā€œadvancedā€ things you can do with the tools as well, and there have been some really impressive games generated with various versions of the applicationā€¦

its all in how much time/effort you want to devoteā€¦ as with most things in lifeā€¦ :wink:

a fun way to look at it, is this offers another medium to tell a story, if you are so inclinedā€¦ :+1:

If you ever wanted to make your own RPG - or just like playing RPGs in the style of To The Moon this bundle might be quite interesting

Also if you wanna try the maker out first, there is a steam sale with a free access weekend just going on, so if you are unsure just install it via steam and give it a shot.

2 Likes

Ah, RPG Maker, where I made my first baby steps with Ruby. And game logic.

Good times. Also, over a decade ago. Iā€™m feeling old.

2 Likes

Ruby? nice! is the tool language agnostic (the scripting portion), or is it actually developed in Ruby?

Itā€™s been a long time, but RP Maker XP was using Ruby for a lot if not almost everything. Menu system, combat stuff, was all implemented, accessible and changeable in/with Ruby. There was still the ā€œold schoolā€ click-and-drag-thing from RPG Maker 2k but Ruby really allowed for very nice stuff (including a multiplayer mod at some point I believe).

So while you donā€™t require any coding knowledge at all, if you do know some it can make your life either easier or your game fancier. However, it was really baby steps, I didnā€™t dig too deep into it. Scripting a slightly different main menu and changing a few things in the options menu was quite an achievement for me back then and soon after I lost interest and moved on to ā€œindependentā€ game design using Ruby.

1 Like

awesome! well, that just cemented the $12 investment for meā€¦ Iā€™ve always enjoyed Ruby, but never had a chance to leverage it in my windows dominated work environmentā€¦

this will be a great opportunity to dive back in and play with the language once more! :smiley:

Thanks for the tip! Iā€™ve wanted this for so long that I just bought it even though I do this full time now. T__T

Edit: @not_owen_wilson just pointed out that when I hit some ā€œI donā€™t know how to do this in this new engineā€ barrier I can come in to work and implement whatever it was I had intended here, in the engine I know everything about. Good times. :wink:

2 Likes

Good thought, had it many times, until Iā€™ve discovered that the engine I know everything about also lacks about every single helper library that could potentially make that task much easier. Or was designed in a way that exactly this task was much more difficult to do than in the original game (and therefore somewhat infeasibleā€¦)

And that no such helper library exists for said engine. Or the language. Or platformā€¦

1 Like

Europa universalis IV is on sale for 9,99ā‚¬ on steam if anyone should be interested :smiley:

Changed the name of the thread, we can posts discounts et cetera here :slight_smile:

1 Like

I think it was RGSS (Ruby Grammar Simplified Syntax) for scripting, and there were some tutorials out there for it. In fact this was what made me get interest in OOP when I was at high school.

(Yes, my first steps into code were with RPGMaker XP changing the value of variables in the scripts and fixing the bug where the text font wasnā€™t displayed in dialog boxes :laughing: - I found RPGMaker 2000 before XP, but I liked the latter more).

2 Likes

It seems to be normal Ruby.

RPG Maker XP integrates the Ruby programming language, allowing for greater flexibility of development
compared to the purely command based system of its predecessors. As Ruby does not directly support graphics or audio, the Ruby Game Scripting System is included to provide an interface for these as well as basic data structures used by the editor

Basically, itā€™s just nitpicking that the engine itself isnā€™t written in Ruby and therefore thereā€™s that API-library-thingy that is not exactly Ruby but accessible in it, which handles most of the ā€œnativeā€ tasks.

1 Like

The newer versions of RPG Maker still use ruby by the way. Iā€™ve never really looked into though as that price tag always persuaded me not to as I knew I wouldnā€™t use it that much.

oh sorry, I was wrong after all =/
Yes, it was surely kind of an API for the inner system.

I am getting the bundle, just because of the motivation it will bring in restarting hobby Ruby programmingā€¦ always enjoyed the language ā€¦