FOR THE LOVE OF GOD! Please optimize the game!

Hi!
I have a few questions.

1. Do you know if you’re playing the game in 64 bit or 32 bit mode? If you take a screen shot of your game, the game build number and 32bit vs 64bit will show up in the upper left hand corner
  2. Is your Windows fully updated? There was an issue another player ran into where their game was only running in 32 bit and it was because they were running Windows without an update.

Hopefully we can sort this out for you.
Thanks
-Yang

4 Likes

They’re working on it. If you think it’s bad now, you should’ve seen it a few months ago, before they did the optimization pass in alpha 15.

Running an i5-750 with 8 gigs of ram, I used to have my towns lock up entirely and go into permanent idle-hearthling at 15 dudes. Now I can run in fast mode with no problems at 15 dudes and can even go as high as 25 dudes if I stay in slow/normal speed.

I do still have the memory leak issue after an hour or two and tasks that involve a lot of processor speed to assign (mining, hauling items from very far away) take a long time to get assigned. Often what I’ll do is pause the game for a bit, then run it in fast while everything is playing out, then when my dudes start idling or all have “hunger” clouds, i’ll pause it so they can all figure out what to do or figure out they need to eat.

I should be building a new system in the next couple of days (i7-6700, etc.) and hope to see a dramatic improvement. From what I’ve read on this forum, there’ seems to be a threshold somewhere around the 4k processor range where the game generally stops having major CPU issues and the bottlenecks become memory (due to the memory leak issue) and video card (especially at night, with lights) instead.

One thing to keep in mind is that games like this can take waaaaaaaay more processor resources than you’d expect. Dwarf Fortress uses ASCII graphics and can still bring modern top end systems to their knees just because there are so many different things to calculate and a lot of them (pathfinding calculations, etc.) can be of exponentially increasing complexity.

4 Likes

I’m running this game completely fine, in Wine, on a MacBook. :stuck_out_tongue: