Expansion of the Class Tree

Honestly, this is a perfectly acceptable Mod addition if you ask me. And I doubt it would be hard to implement once you find the code for mounts.

1 Like

Note that the devs want player sto also invade other locations,dungeons, golin villages come to mind so we may need skirmishers sooner rather then later.

remember conquest was said to be something they want us to be able to do if we wish.

For me, I kind of hope polearms don’t fall into the typical “anti-cavalry” genre. There’s a lot more that can be done with them! (Such as…)

Distance Attacking–Facing a pointy/poisonous/immolated enemy? Keep your distance with spears! Offers a greater chance of avoiding these hazards while fighting.

Area Attacks–Swinging the spear allows for damage to multiple enemies due to its reach. The downside is that it’s slower and heavier than a regular sword.

With these sorts of possible versatility, I wonder how spears will be treated as a class (and its respective token). You’ve got the anti-cavalry pikeman, which has less armor for mobility, and the ironclad paladins/phalanxes for holding the line against countless foes (respectively, their spears were long and short in length). Would this simply be specified by what type of armor they use, or would they utilize different squad strategies or spear types to allow these two possibilities in Stonehearth?

I do really enjoy the idea of swordsman and spearman being two different classes, with different strengths and weaknesses to their sword-wielding brothers :smiley:

But sadly, I keep on thinking of this :confused: As much as I’d adore to maintain a wall of intimidating spears and push gangs of goblins up and down the map, only to have swordsmen sally through and win the day, I have a doubt it’ll be that massed.

But hey ho, with a bit of luck we’ll see spears or some kind of other polearm (e.g., halberds) and the two-handed mauls we’ve seen in screenshots ALL make it into the game to form a mixed type army against whatever nasties there are out there :smiley:

1 Like

If it’s any consolation, I still want my accurate age-of-sail ships and such in this :stuck_out_tongue: . You know, a nice two-decker with, oh, 640 crewmen and all that :smiley: .

Oh wow, I need to rectify something that I said in this thread :stuck_out_tongue:

I meant to say “Yaks”, the animal that is actually in the game, not llamas -.- Though then again, they’re said to replace cows, so they may not be the magestic beasts of war that I have in my head, perhaps more livestock or beasts of burden :c Though I guess with mods, anything is possible! :smiley:

While it’s obvious horses are better suited for combat, I think it would be cool to see settlers riding llamas or really any other animal that doesn’t commonly appear in games.

I personally think Alpacas would be amazing steeds. Just imagine an alpaca and a wolf charging each other.

I personally think that being able to tame and ride titans is the only real solution for getting rid of the goblin scum.

But we will need a temporary solution to keep the goblins at bay until we can tame an actual titan.

Hence why the warlords in Japan equipped their conscripts with spears. Cheaper to produce and allowed the minimally trained troops to attack with a greater reach to avoid coming into sword distance.

It’s a lot easier for someone who is untrained to puncture someone with a spear than it is to preform a sword cut or thrust with the proper technique and angle to penetrate one of the armor weaknesses. :smile:

2 Likes

I think there was also a cultural/political influence in Japan’s history on it too, right? They believed that the sword was the tool only of a warrior, and that regular people shouldn’t be using them. As a result, other weapon types, such as the naginata spear, became the mainstream weapons of people outside of the samurais and daimyos and were symbolic of public and self defense. The ease of production compared to a katana was all the more reason for this, as you said.

I seriously just imagined a tiny saddle with a piece of meat on a fishing pole.

If there is at least ONE titan that involves these items, I will be content.

1 Like

Partially correct, The samurai were the only class to be allowed to carry the daisho (long and short swords) but some other classes were allowed to carry short swords or daggers.

Many ashigaru were actually given mass produced swords. However they had minimal training with them, and since it takes years to become truly efficient with the Japanese sword, they only really used them as a last resort weapon.

OMG YES!

3 Likes