[Dev Blog] Making Your Own Models with Qubicle Constructor

http://stonehearth.net/2014/01/21/desktop-tuesday-making-your-own-models-with-qubicle-constructor/

Love this Desktop Tuesday, I hope that people won’t be hating on the stonehearth version of qubicle not beeing capable of animating models.

Somebody should write something that allows you to build stuff in Minecraft and then export it as qb. That’s a graphics program I could use, I suppose.

Linking this game to Minecraft in as many ways as possible can only help! Someone do this now.

I dont think that would work to well also if people need to animate theirs always blender

Nice, so we will see the production-chain for the weaver in the game (based on the sheep). I think I am most curious how the updated API will work out… which should also come, even if it is not mentioned here, right? :wink:

I would take the elusive ‘like’ as relative confirmation.

If it doesn’t, we’ll just make our own. With gambling and attractive ladies.

:point_left:

edit: hmm…

Wild-life: sheep, rabbits, and more

As I don’t have most forms of internet monies, I would love if when Stonehearth has its own steam page, that qubicle is a DLC to purchase as the stonehearth form, so people who play stonehearth could more easily get it.

@claymanr
Minddesk is trying to get qubicle on steam. [quote=“Ghost, post:2, topic:5047, full:true”]

Love this Desktop Tuesday, I hope that people won’t be hating on the stonehearth version of qubicle not beeing capable of animating models.
[/quote]

Technically you can animate models. Just not the ‘easy’ way (not that blender way is easy :smile:). You can change the numbers in the json files that contain the positions of model-parts at certain times.
For example I changed the rotating doors into sliding doors by changing just numbers.

"type": "animation",
"frames": [
		{
			"root": {
				"pos": [0,0,0],
				"rot": [1.0,0.0,0.0,0.0]
			},
			"frame": {
				"pos": [0,-5.5,0],
			},
			"rightDoor": {
				"pos": [-16,0,10],
			},
			"leftDoor": {
				"pos": [16,0,10],
			}
		},
		{
			},
			},
				"rot": [0.999922,0.0,0.0,0.0124735]
			},
				"rot": [0.999923,0.0,0.0,-0.0123897]

into:

{
	"type": "animation",
	"frames": [
			{
				},
				},
				},
				}
			},
			{
				},
				},
					"pos": [-17,0,10],
				},
					"pos": [17,0,10],

With a lot more frames following :wink:
So rotation stays 1 and position changes from 16 all the way to 32 over the course of the frames.
You can do the same for a human for example. It is just a lot harder as you need some good visual imagination.

sweet. And I hope that post-release radiant either gets a cheaper version of a good animating software to sell for stonehearth use, or make their own that only animates stonehearth qubicle models

Would be a waste of time in my eyes as Blender is free, available and works perfectly fine with Stonehearth (if you use this Add-On):

@Miturion manually editing the animation files is quite hardcore :wink:. Try to do it next with an animation of the human model :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:.

Yes, it is pretty hardcore, but not that hard for simple animations.
Animating a human from scratch is ultra hardcore. :sweat_smile:
But changing them a bit is not that difficult. For example make their head bounce more or swing arms less. Or you can copy existing animation frames and copy them over.

Hm… are you assuming or have you already tried it? Because from what I understand the rotation is stored as Quaternion, which is not that easy to “calculate”… at least for people like me :wink:.

@Miturion Hahah well guess you can do everything with a “bit” of coding!

P.s. can’t wait for the update either! :smiley:

I did not do rotations yet, only position. But yes it is not easy to calculate. But trial and error is possible. :smile:
oo with the help of this:
http://www.onlineconversion.com/quaternions.htm

a quaternion is a complex number with w as the real part and x, y, z as imaginary parts.

If a quaternion represents a rotation then w = cos(theta / 2), where theta is the rotation angle around the axis of the quaternion.

The axis v(v1, v2, v3) of a rotation is encoded in a quaternion: x = v1 * sin (theta / 2), y = v2 * sin (theta / 2), z = v3 * sin (theta / 2).

If w is 1 then the quaternion defines 0 rotation angle around an undefined axis v = (0,0,0).

If w is 0 the quaternion defines a half circle rotation since theta then could be +/- pi.

If w is -1 the quaternion defines +/-2pi rotation angle around an undefined axis v = (0,0,0).

A quater circle rotation around a single axis causes w to be +/- 0.5 and x/y/z to be +/- 0.5.

or Quaternions and spatial rotation - Wikipedia

Congratulations. You successfully distracted me from what I was supposed to be doing by conning me into learning about quaternions. At least I’m pretty sure I get how they work now, I’m still unsure as to how they get a point of reference for the rotation around the axis but that’s it. Easier than it looked once I figured out what it was representing, then it was just fairly basic stuff for the basics. Haven’t looked much into manipulation though but eh.

See, I am far to lazy to even try to understand them :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:. The good thing is that tools like Blender do offer you a function to translate the rotation into Quaternions… so this or that way, no need to know the details for me.

I quite like maths myself, the gifted thing probably helps. I can still get confused by advanced things though, like the quaternions. The cyclic non-commutative hyper dimensional imaginary multiplication threw me for a little bit, still don’t get the point of it though as I haven’t found where it’s applied. Probably in transforming them somewhere.

Isn’t jargon fun? You actually get to use a phrase like cyclic non-commutative hyper dimensional imaginary multiplication and not have it be completely meaningless, overly wordy and disheartening for sure but at least it’s still technically correct.