[Dev Blog] Job Progression Update

Love it. As long as the Weapon is still a sword, it’ll fit with the style of the job system.

I like your suggestions… especially as they are inline with the overall approach we’ve understood to this point… :+1:

Then each unit’s gear will determine some passive bonuses, and occasionally grant new abilities. For instance, you may decide that you want a strong defensive front line, so you promote 10 footmen and just 2 archers as the main damage dealers behind them, but you can choose to arm those footmen with swords, which do extra damage, or maces, which have a chance to stun on hit.

2 Likes

One thing that I’d like to see is a difference between “skills” and “tactics” or “commands”. As @Tuhalu said (which was a very good point), in regards to abilities being available through equipment:

Say, for example, you have a squad of footmen carrying swords and shields. I assume that there’ll likely be a “defend” sort of option eventually through shields, where the soldiers raise them up while they move, taking less damage but moving slower. If this was tied into a learned “skill”, you wouldn’t be able to tell which units actually have it by sight alone–they all have shields, but they can very well have different levels. The result is that these lower-level units might get creamed by the line of enemy archers you were trying to approach and defeat, since they couldn’t perform the same skill as the others.

Rather, what if there were skills that could improve the effectiveness of these commands? To make it a little simpler than “one skill for every single possible command”, the skills could pertain to levels of commands. When the skill is obtained, all “Level 1” commands are improved in their own various ways–“Defend” could be one of them, but it’s only available to shield-bearing units.

If they did something like this, I think it would be a little easier to incorporate new modded-commands and strategies into the skill tree, without too much added script. Granted, I’ve never done coding, so maybe someone else would know more about this?

1 Like

RE: Passive abilities - I really like how Final Fantasy Tactics, and FFIX handle passive abilities - in that abilities are tied to equipment, characters then learn those abilities - in terms of SH though I can see that becoming horribly messy and micro as your population grows - unless you simply have passive abilities that span classes and a certain amount preventing some sort of mega stack of passives that render units invulnerable - maybe that’s desirable? Who knows.

I’m also not sure how well that would fit into the whole “if you want to you can dedicate time to an area to maximise gains” philosophy simply because I imagine the gains from focusing your energies on managing unit abilities would be quite astronomical?

RE: Footman ability suggestions, nothing groundbreaking here:

• Block buff - improves block rate by x%
  • Double Strike - Enables the footman to strike twice in quick succession randomly
  • Battle Hardened - Armour and health benefits - increased by x%
4 Likes

at lvl 1 u get bonus hp
at lvl 2 u can chose to get bonus dmg or def

if at lvl 2 u go atk:
at lvl 3 u can chose to get bonus hp or bonus dmg from light armor
at lvl 4 u can use two handed wepons (axe, club, sword) and u can chose 1 kind witch get bonus to dmg
at lvl 5 u get bonus dmg
at lvl 6 u can promote your footman to barbarian

if at lvl 2 u go def:
at lvl 3 u can use all kind armors (light, medium, heavy) and u can chose 1 kind witch get bonus to def
at lvl 4 u can use shields (heavy and light) and u can chose 1 kind witch get bonus to def
at lvl 5 u get bonus to hp
at lvl 6 u can promote your footman to knight

if at lvl 3 u go in light armor (def or atk branch)
at lvl 4 u can chose to use bow too ( if u do, footman can only use light armor )
at lvl 5 u get bonus to speed
at lvl 6 u can promote footman to archer

barbarian later could be promoted to berserker

archer later could be promoted to scout, royal archer or crossbowman

knight later could be promoted to heavy knight or paldin

i hope all is clear. sry for bad english , but i try do my best.

4 Likes

hey there @psotek … welcome aboard! :smile:

it seemed fitting to move your post here, as @Tom was asking about feedback on the footman’s progression in this dev blog… and fear not, your English was just fine! :+1:

1 Like

What ents? Didn’t you notice that it is a boss? I would expect the other recently added monster, but neither of these have their animations ready yet, apparently. So, no luck for the moment. :expressionless:

About job skills, I’d say some professions won’t have the same quantity of skills as others, and with the upgraded jobs you have to think for more advanced skills, trying not to repeat much of them between branches and the overall system (if passives were to be kept at some stage, and 4 jobs had speed boost as a passive, plus the attributes, there could be a Flash settler around there, though the actual system has no problem with this - only one active job and no skills are kept).

I totally agree with @Tuhalu suggestions for the footman. The ability to equip more advanced gear and weapons (that can deal more damage), and an ability to notice enemies at a longer distance would be great :smile:
It doesn’t have to be always the typical damage/defense/health boost, it can be many things, like the ones @Geoffers747 suggested.

1 Like

My ideas of level based buffs

Footmen:

• More Health
  • Health Regen speed
  • Backflip attacks
  • HIGH LVL = Feared By Enemies

Weaver

• Faster Spinning
  • Uses less thread (less wasted)
  • HIGH LVL = Ability to make tapestries/ better ones which merchants will buy for lots of money

Carpenter

• Can make wooden statues
  • works faster
  • HIGH LVL = Can make wooden tools that are as good as stone or iron tools
1 Like

Wait, who said that leveling up would unlock new sets of recipes (for the crafters)? :frowning:
Is that done associating a required level to the recipe to assign a visibility status to it on the workshop? :open_mouth:

1 Like

It was mentioned by the team in the development blog’s comments. Someone asked about skills for crafters, and they replied:

“We have plans. The obvious one is “new recipes.” The other ones will have to be a surprise.”

As for how this will be incorporated and balanced (to avoid potential grinding to reach the next tier of crafting recipes), we’re still waiting to see for now.

I know, I know, it was rhetorical :sweat_smile:
What I was wondering is if it was related to the job skills or not. Crafters are different from other professions, they have a workshop and recipes… The trapper’s UI is just a little confirmation panel. Crafters are a subset of the job set and have many things in common, so I don’t know how will they work (concerning their skills). If they’re going to have similar skills, or the skills will be mostly for unlocking new recipes or whether unlocking the recipes won’t be a skill but related to other attribute or perhaps their exp range will be wider to make them harder to level up… :confused:

1 Like

How about something like this…

Practice sword : promoted to Footmen class (restrictions : Starting armor none (can equip Padded), can only wear up to Leather armor, can only equip Practice sword)
Lv1 Buddy system - if near ally say radius 10 blocks Defense increase by 20% (of wearable armor), Lv2 Conditioned: Increase body by (#) equivalent to 10%, Lv3 can equip Leather armor, Lv4 Over head strike - can perform a over head downward strike to enemy dealing 15% more damage (can only trigger every 3-5 seconds), Lv5 Graduate: Can get a promo (Based on weapon) Wooden war Axe = Axemen (maybe later advance to a Warlord?)/ Wooden Mace/War Hammer = Macemen (maybe later advance to a Barbarian?)/ Wooden Shield = Fighter (maybe A shield master or a Duelist?)/ Wooden spear = Spearmen (maybe later advance to a Lancer?)

When you reach Lv5 and you change the weapon (the former Footmen holds) This will Promote them to a new class type with new skills to learn. Once promote to a new class type this will reset the xp back to zero (but if you re-equip the practice sword they will get those skills back possibly lvling 1 more time to get a title of town guard? and can equip a wooden shield?).

I consider a Footmen to be your basic melee type in training, So I think every melee type combatant needs to learn the basics first in order to achieve the more advanced forms of the class, In other words you would have to get your hearthling to a Lv5 Footmen in order to get to the more advanced classes first.

2 Likes

Srry was trying to rpley to the topic in general not a specific person :frowning:

Don’t worry about that :blush:

Mmm let’s say that Footmen at lvl 5 unlock Lancer (for example). So as long as you have a lvl 5 Footman among your settlers you would be able to promote all the settlers you want (of any job, and including that same Footman) to Lancer…

Good to know that we have to get the talismans, because otherwise you would grind to the top of the branch using only one settler to get the best damage class and then make an army promoting everyone else to that class…

This is just a thought. I know balancing combat and take into account the differents styles of playing would solve that hypothetic case. =/
If you have only one Footman sometimes you risk of being attacked by a goblin horde and might not survive. That’s when you have to choose your strategy carefully.

:sweat: I hate when I end up answering myself on my own post, I feel like I’m talking to myself aloud saying stupid things

3 Likes

Maybe it’s an idea to have the ability to choose between 2 different or even more skill branches once you hit a level. When you have chosen a branch you progress further in that particular branch and gain that new ability, what ever that may be.

Once you promote him in a certain branch he will automatically equip the new tool/weapon, or you have to make it. It could be a simple and easy way to learn and to oversee what they do.

And if some one doesn’t do their suppose to do new job/ability, he probably hasn’t got the right equipment. In that case he performs a skill lower, because he is still equipped with the lower “tier” level tool/weapon that forces him to do so.

Once you equip him with the tier higher tool/weapon he can perform his new ability.

2 Likes

I like that idea. Maybe not the exact implementation, but the concept of your footman being skilled at working together. It is more interesting than “this guy is higher level, so he is tougher because reasons”.

4 Likes

I really wanted a team system, where the get better and more in sync… They buff eachother, might block hits for each other etc…

1 Like

Yeah, Still fairly new to the game (only had it for 3wks now :P) trying to understand the system better.

hmmmm…

Lv1 Buddy system : When footmens health reaches 25% will issue a assembly call to nearest footmen to assist them. If nearest footmens health is below 50% will disregard the assist call, this will trigger another assembly call to next closest footmen (rinse, repeat till a footmen answers the call or no footmen meets criteria/or in area of influence). If no footmen meets criteria, original Footmen will get a temp <1 per encounter> Def bonus of 25% for 30sec (cannot get another bonus till encounter is over).

Lv2 Footmens Charge : At initiation of a fight will get a 1 time charge bonus : Will locate nearest enemy, just outside of melee range will leap that distance and perform a aggressive strike (increasing damage <50% chance to hit> by 10-15% of first hit). If initial target is dead/fleeing and health of footmen is above 75% they will target a new enemy that is closest to them and can still utilize the Footmens Charge ability (since new target). If engaged by another enemy will continue to engage them till defeated. If health below 75% will engage normally.

Lv3 Squad Leader : To be determined by Highest lvl of footmen *If 2 or more Footmen meet criteria use simple roll system to establish 1st/2nd/3rd ect,.squad leaders (No more then 4 squad leaders per grp).

The Leader will pair with the lowest level footmen (basically a pet that will follow the leader :)) *If 2 or more footmen meet the lowest level criteria use simple roll system to establish 1st/2nd/3rd ect,. “Pet”, that will fight along with them. The “Pet” so to speak will only target what the leader targets. The Squad Leader will get a encounter boost of 25% health bonus (no more then 1 pet per leader). If no pets are available “Odd man outs”, cannot get squad leader abilities and will be available as a “Pet” if needed

Lv4 Leaders Remorse : If the Squad leaders “Pet” dies during the encounter, The Leader will get a temp rage bonus increasing all attacks that the leader does by 5% for 30sec (can only trigger once per encounter).

Lv5 Duty Bound : If a “Pets” Health is 25% or below, Squad Leader will take all damage that the pet may receive till it’s own health drops below 50%. If health already below 50% will not receive “Pets” damage.

Could go longer, but have no clue how many lvls the Dev Team may want to have per class.

2 Likes