[Dev blog] Desktop Tuesday: What to Expect from Stonehearth Alpha 1

@Llewellyn don’t give up. A community needs all kind of people and there is nothing wrong with having a different opinion. I also don’t think that the devs want to see here only people who love everything they do (not blaming anyone to do that though :wink:). Constructive criticism will help to improve the game for all of us.

I am not in any way saying that you can’t express your opinion. But similarly you can’t express an opinion and expect it to stand their unquestioned.

The whole point of the discourse is to engage in discussion and work through problems/ issues constructively.

You expressed your opinion, and I replied with my take on it all. There needs to be a consideration of both sides. It is obviously easy to come in and say “this is wrong because of this” or “I disagree with this”, the test comes when your opinion is reasoned, questioned, other points of view are introduced, and you reassess your thoughts based upon everything you have been told.

As @voxel_pirate has said, we need all sorts of people and constructive criticism is a must have.

3 Likes

nothing of substance to add here, other than healthy conversations are indeed encouraged …

my take on all this? wait and see for yourself what is revealed in December … judge their progress, and comment on their work, once you have it in front if you…

just my humble opinion, of course… :wink:

Well, I’ll be the one to say welcome to the forums! :stuck_out_tongue:

There’s no point me revisiting what @Geoffers747 said, so I am simply going to elaborate on some points.

The reason they’ve not made as much progress as predicted and perhaps you could say ‘broke a deal’, was to keep to another. By this I mean the fact that they’re delivering an Alpha having offered a Beta. Honestly I don’t see it matters too much, the name implies the amount of content that will exist and the state of bugs etc. but I think their Beta had Alpha-like qualities planned anyway. It’s still being delivered on time, which is great. But the reason they haven’t made as much progress as they would have liked to is because they’ve been reworking several systems to make them more moddable.

And to be honest, I feel a lot of progress has been made. Just to expand @Geoffers747 list, crafting, one of the core features of the game, now exists, having not existed at all in May. This is a grinding process, but they’ve made it even more so in order to save much more time later, as recipes will be easier to add in for them or mod in for us (and that’s actually done by exactly the same process). Building has been reworked since May, so it is now better than the pre-alpha videos showed. The engine, which has taken up a lot of the time, is now mostly there, certainly to support running the game and its core features. Tom’s collection of models is staggering, proven by the fact that in the Template thread there are 44 models, and nobody even considers being close to having half. Of course we aren’t shown everything in the streams either, this law enforced by Tony ;), to make sure we haven’t seen it all by release. Food and sleep are both systems that are on their way to being done, and Day/Night is practically finished.

You’ve got to give credit to Albert for doing random world generation so quickly. It took like just 2 months! And that’s a fairly chunky system, and will very much be needed.

Combat is actually not in the Alpha 1 because it is being reworked, so that it is better. I’m not sure whether the combat in their KS video actually worked in-game at all, I don’t recall hearing it either way. Combat was not good enough in their eyes, so it is not being included as it is not finished. There’s no point including completely obsolete combat, risking breaking other systems.

I can’t say I agree with your ideas that it’s progressing slowly, but oh well. :stuck_out_tongue:

1 Like

I would just like to say to everyone who isn’t happy with the progress of the game. Please remember that when this game was in Kickstarter it was being made by 2 people. They have expanded their team to 6 now. By comparison Hearthstone by blizzard said they were working on the project with a small team of 30.

Further in order to make the game more customizable they have reworked almost every aspect of it. As stated in a live stream (don’t remember which) they are taking extra time to make sure that each aspect is mod-able instead of just making a code in 5 minutes that works.

When we started backing this on Kickstarter and pre-ordering we all knew the game was not complete and was a dream. Be happy that they are working on it, be happy that they are trying so hard to keep the promises they have made, be thankful they aren’t pushing back the release, finally just be excited as the game is almost here even in an early stage and you can start playing it and be a part of the development process of this game.

3 Likes

Well, everyone else has pretty much said everything I was gonna say in my 2 page counter-explanation. :smile:

But there is one thing I simply must say: Would it be better for them to rush through and give us all (or most) of the game content not as best as it could be - or for them to take their time and put all of their effort into everything they work on (even if it does take time), and next year - where ever the release date falls, we get a “perfect” polished product that will have us captivated for ages. And them taking their time to make everything simple to be modded, will ensure that after the game is released - and we’ve gotten tired of the original content - we’ll have a ridiculous amount of player-written content that we will NEVER be able to complete all of -leaving us with a endless amount of content. This alongside of regular updates from the devs. I personally think that they should take all the time they need to make sure everything is the way they planned for it to be and every aspect of the game moddable - so that in the end we have the game we wanted - the best it could ever be.

1 Like

Wait, when will Alpha 1 be released?

… Second half of December.

indeed! im sure i read that somewhere…

3 Likes

I have just been blocked from liking your post Steve, having apparently liked too many today.

Instead of bothering to wait 4 hours and coming back here, I’ll just leave this instead :thumbsup:

1 Like

Alternatively you could just leave.

Forever.

1 Like

Ouch,

@smokestacks let me know if you need help pulling that knife from your back it looks pretty deep.

2 Likes

Whoever shall pull the sword from @Smokestacks shall be the rightful King.

3 Likes

Nah, then I would have to model a King avatar and I like my G-solder from FFVIII.

i just snorted cranberry dressing… please dont make me do that again…

1 Like

Wait… what?!! Where did you get cranberry dressing?

From that shady drug dealer down the street.

actually, from my sister-in-law… she makes the best dressing…

then again, she has been staying out later these past few nights… i wonder…

2 Likes

Wow, I leave for one day and the thread got that sidetracked?!? Geez, even my occasional political rants don’t have that effect.

Alright, to continue on that topic, I know for a fact that coming back to High School will treat you the best. Especially for your sister-in-law, Steve, she would do REAL well nowadays, considering her… lateness… these past few nights.

1 Like

I for one would like to hear more about @SteveAdamo’s shady drug dealing sister-in-law who peddles cranberry sauce.

Failing that, I’m quite happy with the features they have announced so far and look forward to seeing some of the proposed mods start to take shape.

2 Likes