[Dev Blog] Desktop Tuesday, General progress, terrain, and live stream tomorrow!

First: SO AWESOME +1. I love this, it looks both very Stonehearth-ish, it looks unique, and frankly it is better to play with that kind of terrain. Coincidentally, I’ve played two recent games that dealt with just this subject matter: Godus and Cube World. Godus - 90% of the gameplay involves clicking and “smoothing out” terrain to provide a flat space for your villagers to build and live on. Turns out this is horrendously unfun in a “Never want to play a computer game” again sort of unfun. Sounds good, plays terrible. Very thrilled that Stonehearth will cut the you-know-what and just give us various flat spaces to build on. Second - Cube World - Incredible game, but I did kinda get… I dunno, not tired, but not thrilled with, the constant 1-block terraced hills (it is sort of nauseating for me with motion sickness to run around them). It fits that game, but it would be the wrong fit for Stonehearth. Also - games like Gnomoria - super fun, but really hard to terraform hillsides into cool edges for building.

I like the mindfulness behind the trees, creating groves based on age and location. Mechanisms like that when added up really come together to make a rich world. I hope we can see more of this mini-biome logic? Such as simple ecosystems around lakes and ponds (plant life, animal life). Looking forward to springs, rivers, lakes, etc. A sea would be fun too :smiley:

I knew I’d like Albert. Terrain is where it is at.

Second: @ManOfRet [quote=“ManOfRet, post:17, topic:3124”]
Ah, but what if it is night, most of your men are asleep and unarmed, and a trogre (troll/ogre) attacks? What then?
[/quote]
Ye gods man, don’t you know most attacks will happen at night? @Tom has even said this somewhere. You’d best keep your defenses up at night…

But really thou - the debate that splits the Gnomoria community is the “to wall off” or “not to wall off” strategy. The same will happen here (in a friendly way of course). Do you move 100% of your village to a non-assailable position, or do you play “as intended” with vulnerable areas to defend. @SteveAdamo is clearly a non-waller. You @ManOfRet may be a waller…

2 Likes

Well, as I’m an enterprise man, I believe that where there is risk, there is reward (typically). Such as better land for farming, easier access to minerals/animals/whatever, etc. Also, your men have to sleep at some point, right?

1 Like

i deg to biffer… i am quite the waller… “bigger-n-higher” my papi always used to say…

i believe in tiered defenses… around my farmland, i’ll have moderate defensive structures (wood fences, lighting, limited personnel)… my town proper however would have an advantage of elevation, bigger-n-higher walls and more substantial guards… :+1:

yes sir, but units can work in shifts…

I’m getting quite a good mental image of what your ranch must look like :smile:

1 Like

hahaha… oh lord, not this again… :stuck_out_tongue:

dont all fences look this formidable?

2 Likes

terrain looks good.

I put my town in to see the scale of it.

But really made me wonder the ‘one square mile’ seize of the area. According to my calculations is much smaller.

terrainwidth is roughly 10 x 12 treeswidth
1 tree is about 3 stonehearthians wide
360 x 1,8 m (average human length) = 650 m
which is about 0,42 km^2 and is only 0,16 mile^2 :blush:
On a human scale that is.

1 Like

you beautiful, beautiful voxel geek… thanks! :+1:

1 Like

Hmm. I did my own calculations and got around 610m, nowhere near the 1600m it needs. In fact a quick calc suggests it would need to be around 300 trees wide (they’re big trees at about 5.5m across). Even assuming it’s the small trees I still only get around 210 for the count which would only be 1150m at most. The mistake I can see is that somewhere someone screwed up a scale.

Hm… if I take a look on the screenshot of the terrain and try to estimate its size in trees that would be at least 50-60 trees in lengths and width. Your town alone is around 8 trees wide… or do I get something very wrong? :disappointed:

@voxel_pirate
I did the tree estimate :wink:
the red arrow points at the row of 12 trees. There are 7 visible ‘12-tree wide’ blocks (white boxes) and estimated 3 more out of sight to cover the terrain width. So 12 trees x 10 boxes = 120 trees.

@Xavion I am positive those are the same trees of the last picture, not the small ones.

1 Like

Thanks, now I got it… so I did understand something horrible wrong :wink:.

Remember, though, the entire game is basically a caricature (exaggerated proportions). So, assuming that the torso is that of a normal human’s, plus the nonexistent legs, we would come out closer to, hmmm, maybe about 2.5m? That wouldn’t change it that much, but hey, it’s worth considering.

Where was the live stream? I can’t find it…

@Ramcat Was not recorded / archived due to some changes Twich did. Next streams should be archived again.

1 Like

@Ramcat, dont listen to him… it was @voxel_pirate’s fault…

quickly, everyone glare at him! :unamused:

resumes killing time until today’s update

2 Likes

[quote=“SteveAdamo, post:35, topic:3124”]
resumes killing time until today’s update
[/quote] I don’t know if that’s possible it’s about 9:00 where I am and it isn’t on the blog

its 6pm in CA, so we might be going to bed hungry tonight… :smile:

Curse you time zones!!!

Meanwhile in Australia*

Damn live streams are always at 1am or something

flick over to the forums to see its 4pm

:notes:CELEBRATE GOOD TIMES COME ON!:notes:

Why would you confuse me like that?! I’m just a penguin!

1 Like