[Dev Blog] Desktop Tuesday: Biomes!

Looks like this will be a new feature sooner than we thought!

YUUUUUUS!

Although, now that I come to think of it, those cacti could use some work…

8 Likes

Looks good :stuck_out_tongue: I think laketown might be a step closer to being a reality @Beatrice

5 Likes

first of all… welcome aboard to Winnie! :smile: :+1:

Hi everyone, this is Winnie, Team Stonehearth’s intern

second… WOOHOO!! those biomes look absolutely gorgeous!

5 Likes

Yep, that sounds really promising! Hope to see snow on the trees, rain/storm/lightnings, sand storm and whatever to give an even greater value to biomes!

1 Like

Only thing i am not fan of are the cacti, they seem too big for my taste. But everything else looks fantastic! Good job, biomes are one of the things i w8 most for, please keep up with your magnificent work!

Sorry, Steve, you’re a little late on that one…

Thanks for all your help, Winnie! The Biomes are off to a fantastic start! It will be the start to adding a whole new level of layers to the game and hopefully the mechanics.

4 Likes

yay! biomes! cant wait for those to be implemented, A 13 perhaps?

3 Likes

Other tree names Acacia, Willow were in a secret file revealed a few streams back, so, honestly, this didn’t surprise me too much. It is a lot sooner than I expected, though, and those pictures sure look nice!

2 Likes

Glad you’re all enjoying the preview, but please don’t expect anything playable till we have more time to refine the look and the gameplay! It would be sad if you went to glacier biome and corn grew just as fast. Happy to take ideas as to how the game might change in different biomes, though!

8 Likes

well one things for certain, in the cold biomes you should need to get your hearthlings winter coats, otherwise they would freeze!

also, @sdee should we make a separate thread for suggesting “biome needs”?

4 Likes

My dream of a castle raising from the water on a snowy landscape suddenly feels closer. Thank you for your work :smile: I’m so happy. But I’ll be patient, Those images look great. Wonderful work.

Have fun, Kyth.

4 Likes

Most of the new models are just placeholders. Tom will probably spend a few live streams polishing up the new assets for the game.

4 Likes

Im more happy to see more natural looking terrain. Glad to see that the terrain generator is getting some love.

3 Likes

aye… and alternative housing options as well! :smile:

Glacier Biome: Snowy, icy lands with unique building mechanics for igloos and frost forts!

3 Likes

Man, I’m loving this already. I can’t wait to be able to build desert empires and create cities around oases… The one thing I’m curious about is biome changes; will the world be all one biome, or how will the biomes “blend” into each other as they change through the world?

2 Likes

this my friend… and it shall be as glorious as it sounds… :smile:

4 Likes

starts questioning @SteveAdamo’s limitless knowledge of what the devs plan…

5 Likes

gently nudges the thread back on topic

I’m curious as to whether it’ll be “halfway” biomes where you see some plants/animals from each region, and a combination of the weather effects, or how that’ll end up looking. I can’t wait to see how this all shakes out!

4 Likes

Actually, that brings up a question.

Will we eventually see a larger limitation on materials and what they can be made into? Specifically, in relation to the idea of Desert biomes.

Say I only have Sandstone blocks, will I be unable to make the slate roofs then, and instead be able to make a completely different set of things? or will it just be turned into generic whatevers. Im just curious, because the idea of a pueblo-style town would be fun to do, and I like the further granularity between resources.

4 Likes

Before all it would be great to define what biomes will be implemented. In the devblog we get a hint for a desert and a snowy biome but is the second some kind of arctic biome or just a season (winter) of the actual temperate default biome? That’s would not be the same at all! If we get and gran north/arctic biome, we can forget the actual crops! Also, in one you can still have liquid water, in the other it’s ice, so no more flowing water at all! (or really sparse).

In a desert biome, water would be really rare and almost no plants could grow. But the biome could affect not only plants and cattle but also the hearthlings themselves. They could be much slower under high temperatures for example (around noon)…

4 Likes