[Dev Blog] Desktop Tuesday: Biomes!

Nice work Winnie!

Wonder If they will generate a road/trail and cave system at some point… The possibilities!

NPC Kingdoms, Towns, Villages…

3 Likes

thats planned, not sure about the others though.

2 Likes

The biomes look beautiful, but I have a question:

Are the biomes meant to be experienced in separate playthoughs or in one game? This isn’t a game like Minecraft–travel is quite difficult. They are very nice, but if they are meant to be experienced many at once, either the biomes will have to very small, or some time will have to be spent on traveling options.

1 Like

[quote=“greene, post:27, topic:16017”]
Are the biomes meant to be experienced in separate playthoughs or in one game? This isn’t a game like Minecraft–travel is quite difficult. They are very nice, but if they are meant to be experienced many at once, either the biomes will have to very small, or some time will have to be spent on traveling options.
[/quote]i’ll just directly qoute @SteveAdamo from his earlier answer

2 Likes

oh, but what about potatoes? potatoes can grow even in the harshest of climates. why do you think the irish love them so much lol

but then again we don’t even have potatoes yet. awww.

there should be a quote of quotes option outside of ctrl+x/ctrl+v, but whatever

do not underestimate the power of the OFFICIAL RADIANT FANBOY

in real life, desert and arctic wastelands are referred to as wastelands because they are uninhabitable. as no food grows there and the environment is extremely unforgiving, with even access to water being severely limited or non-existent altogether, no one lives in those regions. although, at least with the arctic you could hunt animals for food, with the desert you’re just out of luck.

however, even though no one LIVES in those regions, we do have arctic and desert bases and stations. why? deserts, for example, have oil (australia has a city in a location that people normally can’t live in, except all the houses are built underground where it’s cooler. and that city is the number 1 shipper of opals around the world). non-resource-wise, the arctic has great conditions for conducting science. they each have stuff that you just can’t get access to being in a friendly biome. and stonehearth wasn’t intended for you to just build 1 city and be done with it. you’ll eventually want to make 2 or 3 cities, and even some outposts, and extend your reaches farther and farther, meet different races, other civilizations, and even other players (MP). maybe you’ll work together, maybe you’ll fight to the bitter death, either subjugating them or simply wiping them out altogether. point is, eventually you’re gonna be eyeing that rare ore, and you’re gonna want to claim it for your kingdom, but find that it is deep in the mountains where the temperature is freezing at its warmest. either make due with what you’ve got, or make an outpost and send some men to work at the outpost, and try your hardest to keep them from dying.

grasslands should be ideal for living in, and every other biome SHOULD penalize you for not settling in grasslands. if you’re gonna be making a town, you’ll want to put it in the grasslands. however, mountains are easier to defend have give you access to stone for building walls and towers, forests give you dense access to wood, rivers give you automated power via watermills, hills give you windmills, and certain crops are better suited for different environments, and altogether there’s just too much you will be missing out on if you just choose to sit in your little plains.

the grasslands are easy to work with. but not necessarily fun. you want them for towns, but not for castles, not for resource collection, and arguably not even for trading.

5 Likes

Great work on the new terrain generator. I look forward to seeing further progress in later Alphas.

I had fun coming by the Radiant booth at PAX this last weekend, and I even made a topic about it: Radiant at PAX Prime It was great to see you guys there and the booth always looked crowded whenever I walked by. I also thought your booth design was well laid out, with the two screens showing off Stonehearth and Rising Thunder with live gameplay from the demo units. I chatted a bit on Friday with either Chris or Brad (I’m terrible with names, but I know it wasn’t @sdee or @Tom) and even talked up the game to a few people who were discovering Stonehearth for the first time. I think I convinced at least three people to buy it after telling them a bit about the game when I noticed them looking at the screen. I’m sure Radiant will see an uptick in sales in the near future.

6 Likes

Question: Will snow then become a block type? Harvestable and used as a building material? Or crafting? Igloos were mentioned, and there’s no way you can get away with NOT letting snowmen or snowballs be a thing.

Which raises another question: Weather like snow and rain. Snow can just leave a trail of blocks (or half blocks if you go that direction), both restocking harvestable piles to build with or threatening to trap, cover, or weigh down structures. We’d need shovels. Maybe a way to melt snow into water?

Rain would obviously give a growth boost to plants and possibly make unprepared settlers wet, cold, and maybe prone to a cold?

I realize I’m thinking ahead WAAAAAYYYY too far ahead, but I’m just curious if I’m thinking in the same direction as our glorious game creators or not. It’s fun! I’ve always been an “idea guy” with absolutely no skill to back it up. :laughing:

3 Likes

to add to that thought, it would be a good addition to make too much rain cause flooding. and also thunder storms, giving a chance of lightning striking, which could cause fires if your not careful.

just my random thought to add to the discussion.

3 Likes

If thunderstorms do become a thing, I hope the hearthlings are smart enough to get indoors. I would hate to lose a valuable member of the settlement from a lightning strike.

2 Likes

this would also introduce new traits, such as hearthlings being scared of thunder, meaning that they wont do work or anything whilst there is a thunderstorm. or in some cases perhaps some will love thunder storms and choose to stand outside rather then indoors.

3 Likes

Also, maybe weather wizards? Guys who redirect lighting during a storm to attack enemies?

2 Likes

to tie this in with biomes, there is something called a “floodplain”, which are typically around rivers, with the most famous being the nile river. flooding is difficult to deal with, but if you plant soon after a flood, your harvest will profit greatly, as the flood brings in rich soil. not sure if this will be a thing, as it’s hard to program, though.

I’ll admit I’d be the one who’d sit out in a thunder storm. but then again I live in bloody san diego where it never rains and it’s blistering hot year-round. I love the rain, and thunderstorms are just that much better lol.

BUT MY HEARTHLINGS BETTER NOT WUSS OUT JUST BECAUSE THERE’S SOME THUNDER. I’LL BE SO MAD lol. “GET OUT THERE AND WORK” “but there’s lightning!” “YOU’LL BE FINE, THERE ARE HOUSES TO BUILD AND TREES TO CHOP!” “aaaaah!”

or maybe one who calls a thunderstorm to begin with. but I’d probably abuse that to have my town in constant thunder 24/7/365 lol

2 Likes

like the dhovakiin… Strun Bah Qo!!!

sorry, couldn’t help it…

for those who dont know, thats the “storm call” shout from skyrim…

2 Likes

I’ve been struck by lightning in Minecraft a couple of times building during thunderstorms. I don’t want my hearthlings to take that sort of risk in Stonehearth. At least Stonehearth doesn’t have lightning-infused monsters… yet.

4 Likes

well imo i think there should be that chance, i mean its not like you wont see that they’re a lightning enthusiast before embarking, same goes with the easily scared trait (the hearthling traits are shown on before embarkment)

also, just random trait names that i thought up, pretty bad, but pretty good for the fact that i’m tired…

1 Like

I have never once been struck by lightning in minecraft, hell I think I’ve only seen 1 creature struck by lightning, and it was either a chicken or a cow. I’ve had wooden buildings catch fire from lightning, sure, but I myself have never been struck even while working on said buildings. I think the fact that you’ve actually been struck either means you have terrible luck or lightning just really hates you lol

I myself have bottom-tier luck, but I guess the rain loves me as much as I love it, and thus never suffer more than unlucky fires (which even then is rare because rain puts fires out, so the lightning would have to hit underneath something to catch it on fire).

besides, no one’s ever died from a little lightning (xkcd: Conditional Risk)

well, in MC, if lightning strikes a pig, it’ll turn into a zombie pigman. so maybe when struck by lightning they’ll turn into zombies? jk, that’s too unforgiving, considering not even everyone who is struck by lightning even dies (and some are struck repeatedly and still come out fine, although very woozy) https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=fSWNrwVmY68

now I’m imagining a knight fully decked out in the best full-plate in existence, with the infinity+1 sword, charging in front of his army to meet the next army, when suddenly he is struck dead by a lightning bolt, and both armies just stop in their tracks and stare at him before running from the battlefield lol

They should fix the custom building tool instead of adding stuff. I cant build anything without it bugging out and force me to start a new game… even saved blueprints cant be placed in the world. They game is unplayable atm…

1 Like

They 're not going to chase bugs with all the team !
New stuff 's part of their job too …

2 Likes

I sort of agree with Peanut. I’d like a nice mix of fixing issues and getting new features. The games not unplayable though. You just have to get around certain issues when building. Always custom, low roofs, no furniture in your blueprint.

1 Like

the game is not meant to be playable right now. frankly it’s more playable than it really needs to be right now, considering the game is an alpha.

alpha games are unfinished games. they do not have everything the game is supposed to have, and are often not even considered games because of how much is missing. this is the phase where everything is put together in the first place. fixes are only meant to get the individual parts to work together

beta games are finished games that are buggy. while everything is there, it may not work properly, and it’s prone to breaking. while it’s playable, it won’t always work as expected, and this is the phase where everything is fixed for final release.

while I understand that the building tool not working properly is frustrating (I’m a builder and I can’t build anything but roads, and even roads give me issues), I’m also not expecting the game to really even be a game right now, as most of the features that will be in the final release are simply not here right now. what we’re here for is to find the bugs and incompatibilities for the devs, and to provide insight towards the direction their game is supposed to go.

3 Likes