Coop shouldnt be a stretch goal but should be a primary feature and PvP should just go away

Well here is why I bring up the The War Z thing. I thought flat out Coop was a core feature when in fact it is NOT a current core feature. Sure I know this is in development, but after everything that happened. Having the green light page say coop is very misleading. I just don’t want to see indie devs suffer through all the crap that The War Z devs were put through even though those guys deserved it. I am just saying they need to say coop is a stretch goal or something. Otherwise other people could throw a huge fit.

Both co-op and pvp should just go away and make room for more actual game content. *shrug *

1 Like

Actually COOP as a core feature would bring a lot more customers. People love being able to play with friends and create or destroy things.

That’s a weird thing to say.

Personally, the modability and Co-op were very promising to me, since you could try do someone’s challenges with your friends.

Coop is like the biggest selling feature for me…

1 Like

I strongly agree with Gazz, though, I purposely backed past the buddy tier for a friend. I don’t like the idea of something pushing single player content out for a ham fisted multiplayer features.

There really needs to be a sticky with official developer clarification on this, it feels like there’s another post like this every day.

Before someone thinks that I think they are doing a lack luster job on secondary features, I don’t. It’s an thought to any single player focus game I have.

[quote=“ernierock, post:10, topic:273”]
That’s a weird thing to say.[/quote]
Not at all.
On the first “page” of the Kickstarter project the devs state that "This kickstarter is to fund the single player version of the game."
Everything beyond that is gravy.

The single player game needs to be awesome so that there is any point in wanting to play it multiplayer.
“It has multiplayer” always reminds me of “It’s got electrolytes!” =)

Of course, it doesn’t hurt to structure a game so that multiplayer can be added without re-writing half of it and re-balancing 2/3 of the game. Game balance isn’t just about numbers. It starts with designing the angles of freedom, the way features scale and how they interact. The numbers are only the final touches.

1 Like

You really made it seem like they shouldn’t include multiplayer ever and keep developing singleplayer, which is something different than you are saying now, namely they should create a good base first.

Well not true PvP anyways since its just a NPC town that is a copy of an actual player so I really don’t think it would be any different (I’d be pretty upset if players can intrude into your game and wreck all your hard work). Down the road I’d imagine that some kind of “hardcore” mode will be added to give players the option to duke it out.

Hey Zarx. Stonehearth will definitely have co-op, it’s just a question of whether it comes in the initial release or shortly thereafter. If we reach our stretch goal, we can afford to hire more programmers to speed up development and get it into the initial release of the game. Even if we don’t reach the goal we plan on adding co-op play soon after release funded by the revenue generated from sales of the single player game. Sorry for the confusion on the Greenlight page, but we’re as excited about Coop as you guys are. Thanks!

5 Likes

@Ponder You mind if I snip this for the Q & A?

1 Like

You should definitely make a post about this on the Kickstarter page. It seems to be a common misconception and I feel like it would persuade a lot of the “I’m not funding unless we get the co-op stretchgoal” crowd to finally jump aboard.

Sounds like it wont interfere with the single player experience. Glad to hear it!

Judging by what they’ve said about it, the co-op multiplayer would be in the same style as minecraft. In that the world and everything in it is exactly the same, the only difference is that you have a friend in there playing with you!

Well I just wanted to let you guys know what it says like on it is worded and such on Green Light. You gotta remember people will take literally what you say about things. Like I had thought it had coop from the start since that is the way it was worded and had the tags on Steam Green Light. I am looking forward to this game, but I just know how the people on Steam can be so just wanted to basically give you the heads up. Valve has no problem taking your stuff down.

Not at all, @Geoffers747. Thanks for organizing that for us!

1 Like

@Ponder Thanks a lot, have put it in. And don’t worry about it, just doing my bit to help!

1 Like