Co-Authors Can't Update Workshop Mods

If I add someone as a co-author to a mod on the workshop, even if they have the same exact folder with the steam_id within the manifest they can’t update the mod through the workshop. This means they can’t make updates independently from myself. The same goes if I’m a co-author I can’t update a mod that the main author isn’t working on anymore by myself. This is kind of an issue right now as I was going to try and update the Box O’ Vox split mods starting with the stand-alone Necromancer Mod but seem to be unable to. I can’t really rely on Owl to have time to download my update then update it himself, he’s quite busy with real life progression currently. More power to him, honestly, but if I’m to update and maintain the mods how do I do that?

That is so stupid, I thought that co-authors would be able to do that. If not by default, through some permission given by the author. Searching the issue reveals it is being asked since forever…

2 Likes

Is it an issue with Steam Workshop and how they manage the mods? or something Team Stonehearth overlooked? I’m really defeated over all the work I just did if I can’t do anything with it.

Yes, unfortunately it is a silly behavior that people has been requesting for ages to be fixed ;-;

I found that recently too, when adding co-authors to ACE. I was hoping that I could authorize some of them to push updates, etc; but nope. :forlorn:

Edit:
I forgot the important part, it is Steam’s fault.

3 Likes

Well I might be able to get to Owl’s house next weekend and obtain access to update the mods.

This is why I wish Radiant would just have their own privately hosted server for modded content. If you purchased this game through any other place other than Steam you’re forced to download mods externally anyway. So why can’t they just host a private sever for mod content so anyone with any version of the game can access it?

Tmod Loader for Terraria has a private server to host the multitude of TMod loader mods for the game and it’s not even an official mod manager or anything like that from the guys that made the game.

You do realize your second paragraph basically contradicts the first one, right? :smiley:

1 Like

I do agree that it is a small downside that players not using Steam have no idea whether or not to update the mod they grabbed a month ago. Steam players simply get the update once it’s updated. Non-steam players could end up playing a mod that has had several updates that they are missing out on. It is what it is though I suppose.

I cordially invite you to write our own Smod Loader for Stonehearth to solve this annoying problem.

3 Likes

how does the 2nd paragraph basically contradict the first one? I was simply pointing out that a third party group was able to make a private server to host their mods on their said server for a game they personally didn’t develop, and yet Radiant can’t do the same with their own modding community? They have a mod menu built into the game, with online play that supports cross-platform support. so why couldn’t they host their own servers for mod management?

I can’t do that :frowning: i’m not a programmer myself.

Unfortunately, Radiant no longer actively develops SH. Of the things they had to do at the end, a mod manager was last priority.

yeah i know…but it would nice to see it regardless.

Pretty doable, albeit not exactly pretty. Building it on top of the HTTP hack I made would even make a mod manager written in lua/JS possible - with just the barest of methods being in native-land.

I also happen to have something akin to a very simple, stupid mod repository website laying around, written in C#/ASP.NET Core.

3 Likes

@RepeatPan, if you are interested in continuing the mod repository, I have experience in C# and would be willing to help out.

I’m not sure if there’s a big enough demand for Stonehearth mods in general to warrant this kind of project, to be honest.

Uhm lies? Considering the game itself wasn’t technically finished to completion before release there is plenty of demand for this kind of project for mod management and mod content. ACE is so big that it was announced and supported by Radiant basically on steam’s community news. If they announced it than that brings the modding scene to the forefront of the community’s attention.

And it’s definitely needed at this point for like i said, those that own the game through other means beyond steam because they don’t have access to the workshop for easy mod management and upkeep on their content. a universal mod repository and management tool built into the game would 100% be useful to EVERYONE playing the game.

1 Like

I couldn’t agree more to a “global” mod repository for all players to keep up to date with the mods.

That was my personal opinion, I didn’t wish to make a statement or something. However, exactly because the game is done - and the way it is “done” - I see a huge expiration date on it.

ACE might be big and official and all that, but it won’t help. The game has serious issues that in all likelihood will not be fixable with just mods. Design issues that not even ACE can fix. We’re talking about the memleaks, the performance, or the design of core components here. Radiant pushing ACE here isn’t entirely out of good will and their commitment to modding either - it keeps the game seemingly alive, although it’s already dead. For uninformed outsiders, and even those inside, this move can easily be seen as shoving the support and maintenance to the community - which is cheaper than maintaining it yourself. Free, in fact.

The point about a global repository would still be that, since it is not officially endorsed, you would necessarily split the community apart. There will be those that use Steam (because they don’t know anything else, or because it’s convenient), and there will be those that installed the client (in whatever form) of the common repository. Mods will have to be uploaded twice to effectively reach all users - not exactly elegant and a nightmare for modders. It can result in a fragmentation of an already quite small community (avg 600, max 1700 players on Steam).

So you have few dozen mods, a few thousand players, and it’s pretty clear that mods won’t need updates because the game has changed something. The only thing you would need a repository then is for two cases: Install a new mod, and update a mod in case it had a functionality update. With the exception of ACE, I don’t think this will result in an awful lot of downloads per player… which makes the effort put into a repository not really worth it.

1 Like

I hear that.