Banished - Released Today (18th Feb)!

You ever work your fingers to the bone in a hurricane Son? plantin’ spuds all the while knowing that the blight will take them come spring and the young 'uns will be wailing cause their bellys are empty.
No thought not.

mother nature and time the greatest end of level boss there is

2 Likes

I have… I ended up stabbin’ the young 'uns to death because they would’nt shut up, the good news though is that once they were dead there was enough food for me!!!

1 Like

agreed… as @TobiasSabathius mentioned, the pace just seems … pleasant…

and it will be interesting to see what happens when you make the inevitable wrong choices… “why did i need 4 acres of plums again?”

slowly backs away from the thread

1 Like

I think focusing on the city building is fine for a Beta, to work out all those intricate mechanics, but for the game I want to play in the near future (and will have time to play) I want a little bit of everything including combat. Basically, I want a 3D Dwarf Fortress and of everything I’ve seen Stonehearth is the closest. But like SimCity and others, Banished could easily do well and have a lasting life as a city builder simulator without combat.

I really like the ideas of weather and sustainability: for example the idea that you have to have enough clothes to keep warm, but those clothes could come from a number of places including trade, maybe plant fibers, maybe animal. Like you could probably over-hunt sheep and not have enough wool to make your own clothing, so you’d have to rely more on trade, which oh by the way brings in more disease that stacks on the cold effects and could eventually give you a rough series of winters. Or chopping down trees leads to smaller forests and therefore less deer to hunt.

I think I read something about having to rotate crops for fallow fields. I do not like that; too far into micromanagement for me. I like SH ideas of water and fertilizing and skill affecting yield, I even have an idea for weeds, but not actually having to leave areas fallow and get into that calculation in my mind. I also liked the random infestation. Maybe that could be tied into weeds for some kind of maintenance idea; let it go too long without maintenance and you’ll work harder to reclaim it than if you had maintained it. At least he had an infestation warning pop up to take him straight there and manage it.

I like a variety of crops. I don’t need 20 different types of nuts, but it is great to have maybe “a stone fruit”, “a citruis fruit”, a “nut tree”; category-level variety. Hoping we have that with SH, and I think we will if not at release then via mod.

The trade was easy: it was straight up. I’d like to see skill factored in, so early on you’re probably going to struggle to get equal value. Or if you piss off a certain group their traders aren’t as amiable.

UI: I’d like to see warnings show up in a different place than the rest of the menu, maybe the other corner. Like Crusader Kings 2. They need to be obvious and unavoidable (unless you choose to hide them).

here’s another recent interview, with PCGamer:

http://www.pcgamer.com/2013/09/04/interview-banished-developer-talks-player-choice-in-the-indie-city-builder-sandbox-game/

2 Likes

I saw a lets play of Towns and this game kind of reminds me of Towns

several updates to catch up on the latest development, ranging from cemeteries, bug squashing and feature creep to audio and executables… :smile:

follow mode activate!

He recently updated his expected release date from Dec 2013 to very early 2014. He has finished the game and been testing it with a group of beta testers. I have been following his blog. He has gone to extraordinary efforts to find and remove bugs from the game. He has tweaked the game based on input from his test group. It sounds like when this game is released it will be completely finished. This seems almost foreign in today’s market of most games being released in beta, or even alpha stages. Actually I’m glad it’s delayed, I don’t like it when I have two games I’ve really been waiting for come out at the same time. I like to give each game my full attention, when it’s a real good one.

2 Likes

Just an update - the release is set for February 18th!

Nice little dev update here for those of you who are interested :slight_smile:

http://www.shiningrocksoftware.com/?p=2066

1 Like

I will play this game as well on my channel… looks like everyone has the same taste as me in this community xD

Check out my introduction to the game:

I’m always interested in hearing more about this game, however I always seem to forget about it… thanks (again) for the reminder!

1 Like

New Video

Edit: Quit impressive the entire engine he made by this one also every thing else.

2 Likes

thanks! I’m hoping he provides the means to throw money at him (at some point) as well…

He has. Release date is february 18. You will find it on Stream (but no preorder yet)

sorry, i was aware of the release date… i meant the option to actually pre-order though… i want to give this guy money, and secure my copy…

im impatient…

can i pay now?

3 Likes

You can pay me and I will make sure to forward the money to him. :wink:

He didn’t add a pre-order option, just direct buy after its released which means that February 18th will be spent refreshing the Banished Steam page.

1 Like

hey folks… it looks like one of my new favorite YouTubers (quill18) has a series on Banished! :+1:

I’ve been trying to get the game before release but I guess I’m too small :frowning:

well, take heart… it wont be much longer now! :smiley:

just finished that first 30 minute session… yeah, day one purchase… :money_with_wings:

Yeah but being a youtuber, sometimes getting a game early means you could potentially get the money you paid for it back within a few weeks :smiley:

With Stonehearth I made a vid before anyone else on entire youtube so I got on top of search (and I still am)
My dad forced me to think about everything in money first :frowning:

I’m a little worried that Banished will be left behind cause Luke said he would leave the game alone for a bit and work on other projects. I hope he will not do that once Banished starts selling like crazy, theres possibility to mod it heavily!