AN idea for a difficulty increase/cool moves

Basically the idea I want the present is new enemy behavior/abilities

So after let’s say 10-15 days in stonehearth enemies start to respond to you and learn a few things about you.

For example say you are playing on hard mode and you wall your whole city in on day one to prevent enemies (I am going to refer to them as mobs) from coming in to humble abode then around like day 10-15 goblins may learn to figure out how to make basic ladders out of bones or wood to climb your walls. This really shows that the world is responding to your actions.

Another example is for instances maybe you have a lot of archers up high to shoot down on invading enemies so they can have a better line of sight and maybe after like 5 or 6 failed attacks (archers killing them off) from the orges/orcs they will learn to move around your town in ways where they have overhead cover or they can disrupt that line of sight

I don’t know if it would be fun but just throwing it out there for discussion

Well, with demolition being a thing now, it should be possible for buildings to be destroyed by enemies… if nothing else, we can expect that from enemies like Ogres or bigger Elementals in the future.

1 Like

Exactly things like this that make you have to change the way you play

U mean turtle in? Cause enemies.get into the base quite easily allready

Goblins do spawn with a wood stockpile. Would be cool to see them build ladders to reach you.

Would even allow for them to spawn farther away if height difference is a problem. Each night they’d check like a random variable and if it succeeds they build a ladder that would allow them to reach you or get closer to. So if you settle your town atop a mountain you could have goblins spawning at the bottom of the mountain and slowly build ladders to reach your hearthlings. Not only would this make goblins a bigger threat but more paths to reach you opens you up to being attacked by more monsters.

1 Like

I would say: don’t create a new problem until it is ready to be solved.

I would love building destruction as a feature… BUT
I would want an easier way to ‘repair’ damaged buildings without having to destroy the whole thing, and put down a template (that is: IF the original design is saved) and build everything again.

iow: no (human) chore please. Hearthlings, however, can take however long it needs to be the repair, as long as it does not involve more input than pressing a “repair” button somewhere. (even better when it can be set on auto in some option, so that damaged buildings gets repaired as long as there is materials)

Until this is ready, no building destructions please.

Hearthlings can already detect a “damaged” building, in the case that say an ogre breaks the door down or some other piece of furniture gets destroyed. So clearly, the templates are already built to work that way, and if enemies are able to bust through walls then I don’t think it would be too far off for hearthlings to be able to automatically replace/repair those blocks; just like they do with furniture.

I agree, giving the player more busy-work is never a good thing; but it seems as though Radiant are already including the kind of tech they need in able for hearthlings to automatically repair such damage.

I reckon that would be really cool as a late-game feature – you build a wall, the enemies breach it, and then your soldiers hold the gap while workers or masons rush in to handle the repairs.

I’m also a big fan of @Aviex’s suggestion regarding ladders. I agree it’s the perfect “low level” threat – on their own, not an urgent worry; but if you ignore them then eventually you’ll have much bigger problems to contend with. Of course, they can also be turned to your advantage too… aside from the fact that the goblins are providing access to new areas; you could always use the ladders as choke-points or place traps and turrets where you know the enemies will be coming up/down.

Eventually I’d also like to see flying and swimming enemies; and maybe even “tunneling” ones (I think that having them dig up the terrain would be a bad idea, but maybe they can just move through dirt blocks with an appropriate animation?) More than just having enemies which can break through walls, I eventually want to see enemies which ignore that kind of defence entirely; and require different strategies to deal with their attacks. I mean, I’d go so far as to have spirit-type enemies (ghosts, shades, etc.) which both fly and ignore terrain; so the only way to defend against them is either the appropriate magic-based attacks to defeat them, or else to build some kind of magic wards to keep them at bay.

Naturally this is getting towards end-game content here; evil spirits which ignore your mundane defences wouldn’t come out until you’ve contstructed basically impenetrable defences anyway. As @Yosmo78 said originally, the idea is to make the player adapt to the enemies’ adaptations, so that there’s no single strategy to defeat all enemies. At the end-game levels, an invasion isn’t just a handful of zombies but a coordinated siege with a Giant Zombie to break down walls, some archer skeletons to help the zombies get into attack range, a Necromancer summoning reinforcements, and spirits hitting you from unexpected angles… as a player, you should be able to deal with all those things easily if they attack individually; but keeping on top of the different attacks is where strategy comes into it. You can’t just leave your anti-ghost wards out in the open, or they might get destroyed by the Giant Zombie or even the Skeleton Archers; and you can’t rely on your archers in a tower to do all the work because something will eventually make its way up to them…

1 Like

lol. I am not as optimistic as you regarding the repair part. furniture is still currently fundamental different from building structures. Them being able to replace destroyed furniture will prob not use the same system as the ones for structures. Unless the game engine is upgraded extensively (any dev who knows, please comment. I would LOVE it if you say I’m wrong!)

But as long as the problems I mention have ready solutions, I will welcome any new features as it will help increase the size of our “playground” :wink:

2 Likes

U sure are a man of many words Yeti. Every post u make has approx 1000 words.

heheh, yeah sometimes I try to keep it shorter… but most of the time (especially when it’s related to ideas or suggestions), I see no point in letting the ideas sit unused in my head. This is a forum for discussion; so I like to throw a lot of discussion points out and see what sticks lol!

With large, complicated ideas like going from “invasions” (more what I’d call a raid at the moment) to a full-blown siege, there’s a lot to talk and think about. I see writing as a thinking tool – we put our ideas into words not just for others to read, but for ourselves to read and reflect on as well. Hopefully the Devs or other players take those ideas and run with them… sometimes, simply having to put words on the page in response to someone else is the best way to start thinking about alternative ideas, or how to fit one idea into another, or so on.

I know what it feels. some people however use more words then others. As i can read in your last post now, u use alot more words just to write down the simple thing. “I’d like to communicate and give on ideas that are inside my head.” Doesnt matter tho. Everybody is different :wink: just is alot to read on the early mornings or late nights :wink:

somthing i’d rather skip reading

I recently had an idea occur to me that fits right in with this. Goblin thieves and maybe wolves, after a certain level should be able to jump low barricades like fences. They’re not a big threat but it would force you to think differently. Also, maybe a mob that can climb up cliff faces or walls will be a cool mechanic to defend against.

In the future I easily see every mob out there being able to break down doors, as they should be able to, and then ogres will be able to slowly smash through walls. This could give us a reason to pick certain materials for reasons other than aesthetics. Stone would clearly be tougher to break down than wood.

Another interesting late stage mechanic could be fire. What if burning arrows actually set wooden structures on fire? Of course this really could only be implemented if they ever figure out water mechanics, but it could really change up the game. Like wooden roofs? Too bad, they’re all gonna burn down after a volley of fire arrows. On that notes, I wonder if they’ll ever introduce arched arrow shots. Being higher up would realistically give archers a farther range. It would actually make having the high ground a useful strategy.

2 Likes

If a furniture instead of being destroyed entirely was changed back into its “ghost” version, similar to when you go to place it in the first place. Then hearthlings would go to replace after it’s destroyed if you have it in your inventory.

Making a crafter craft the furniture if you currently don’t have it is a bit different of a scenario but could also be done.

If you meant something different about replacing furniture then let me know.

hi, thanks for the reply.
I was not talking about requirements on the furniture system itself, but was referring to the likely fact that the building structure is using an entirely different system, so we currently do not have say: building structure partially damaged/destroyed and it will be replaced by “ghost” version which can be “repaired” by hearthlings etc.

However, if there are just two things I wanted to add to the furniture system now, they will be

• an option to toggle auto-replacement,
  • some way of removing ghost furniture

well, just nice-to-haves currently :slight_smile:

1 Like