A24.2 now on steam unstable

http://www.stonehearth.net/release-notes-798/

http://www.stonehearth.net/release-notes-798/

9 Likes

We fixed a large memory leak on the client in this release. If anyone is still seeing large unbounded memory growth, please let us know.

13 Likes

Will this assist with hearthling numbers/AI slowdown or is that separate?

Edit - Also a quick initial feedback. The layout/spacing of some of the new dialogue is not great. The first word of a new sentence starting at the very end of a line for example. In general Iā€™m not a huge fan of the way quest dialogue works right now, perhaps having the text centred on the screen might help (even though it invades the players gameplay space more) For speech I think having the text fade in at reading speed would also give a better impression of active dialogue, as opposed to just being text windows to be thrown at the player. Having the character doing the talking animated would also do wonders for making the interaction seem more alive as opposed to ā€œclick here to continue gameā€

3 Likes

No, AI performance is not affected by this change (except in very unlikely extreme low memory cases). Weā€™re planning a performance pass in the coming months.

4 Likes

Itā€™s separate. We still need to do a performance pass to optimize the simulation speed.

3 Likes

Wall placeables can only be placed in player made walls now, not in terrain. Is this a bug, a side effect of something else or is intended?

1 Like

Getting a bit hyped to see this quicker turn-around between content updates come into play! While I realise that a lot of this has been in the pipeline for a while, itā€™s great to see that backlog slowly clearing.

For players who have been missing the days where each alpha brought new mechanics and tools to (directly) play around with, I think the next couple of updates are going to be quite fun.

4 Likes

@jamiltron, maybe related to your changes to placeables?

Iā€™ll take a look.

1 Like

I would love text fading and especially would love the 'ling talking with a mumble like audio clip playing, simulating them talking. Iā€™d hate it being the middle of the screen though, as it would feel too invasive.

5 Likes

I love the idea but after playing a couple of times it could get annoying.
Maybe a toggle able option?

1 Like

Like it so far the music that starts tho when you have named the town tho i guess is a place holder it just jumped in from quiet to loud :smiley: good to see some town progression!

1 Like

A simple click on the text window to ā€œskipā€ to the end of the text fade is a good alternative to this as well.

3 Likes

Or like with Frostfeast, where you have the option that lets you just skip through all the chatter and go on with the quest

3 Likes

Due to me being unable to go to unstable, I watched the video you made about A24. I actually like the sudden change to stonehearth main theme. It is with the declaration of your outpost that the game really starts, and the sudden music reflects that.

2 Likes

So I got some time to play around with the new Unstable and Iā€™m really liking the new flow that has begun. The large lull between planting your town and the goblins bugging you is gone (which is great for those early days of ā€œWhat exactly am I doing out here again?ā€) and I like that once you reach the Hearth phase, you get goals to accomplish along with building up your town.

The early happiness buffs are nice, but felt like they lasted too long? I like them as an early helper to get your Hearthlings moving faster (thanks for the hover tooltips in the morale bar, btw). This is partially offset by new Hearthlings coming in without the buff though, so maybe itā€™s fine as is.

Iā€™m also in agreement that the static text boxes could use a little love, obviously low priority at the moment, but at the very least some scrolling-fading (and eased) text would be a nice touch. I donā€™t think hearthlings need voices or sound, but attaching some of the more subtle conversation animations to the speakers would add a lot to those missives.

@malley Love the little celebration animations. And i think i noticed what looked like a ā€˜merryā€™ hearthling humming to themselves next to the fire? Cute.

Noticed Bugs (Iā€™ll see if reloads fix these tonight)

• Create custom building button doesnā€™t work at all
  • Sometimes ghost items on the cancel command donā€™t go away

Thanks for the awesome update! Keep up the good work as always.

5 Likes

This is quite a huge update. Some feedback after a night with a bit of cheating so I could get to the new content faster:

• Having to unlock the ā€˜premiumā€™ items via quest makes many nice items restricted to only one kingdom. Makes sense while making me a bit sad.
  • I think Iā€™d prefer to see the locked recipes with ā€˜Unlocked by Questā€™ text displayed instead of not seeing them at all. Preferably put into separate crafting sets, not mixed into the current ones so I know which quest I have to complete to unlock them.
  • Some of the new assets are misaligned.
  • Some of the ā€˜premiumā€™ doors and windows are listed under decorations so they cannot be used properly in the building editor.
  • If Pine Saplings are added the plant reproduction system will be complete (yay!).
1 Like

I wonder if this will fix an issue Iā€™ve been having where the workers when I have 24 citizens just forget what theyā€™re doing.

Still having problem with idle workers with the newest unstable build.