25 June Live Stream: Coding some UI in in HTML and JS

Some highlights…

… this tools are now used to generate the UI:

• Ember.js
  • Handlebars.js
  • jQuery UI
  • Bootstrap

The office is found and will be adjusted a bit to fit better the requirements of game development. Once it is done, we might see a video introducing it to us.

And some additional information:

• Crafters will have a pipeline where items are placed which should be crafted next.
  • Items in the pipeline can be put on hold and re-prioritized.
  • Crafting-windows should have 2 views, one with explaining text (for the beginners) and one with icons-only (for advanced players).
  • For the Beta the building and crafting system should be up and running.
  • Other features might not be available at the beginning of the Beta and will be added bit by bit until release.
  • It is planned to have a mod-management system in place.
2 Likes

Is it just me that has this weird feeling of excitement?

Nope! I guess Steve is also looking forward to the Beta :smile:.

But seriously, I really do love the streams. Even if I have the feeling that Tom might make better use of the time (in iterms of producing the game). Gives me a bit the feeling that we are “involved” in developing Stonehearth and that the community matters to Radiant. And in addition, what is presented to us makes sense… like the style without circles (and cows ^^) or more code-like the use of existing frameworks. I just really do hope that we will get a nice interface for modders, to keep it simple and motivate as many people as possible to start modding.

1 Like

Wait, What? I swear they’re normally incompatible due to conflicts, oh well must be wrong. Watching now anyway.

truer words have never been said… :smiley: well, other than “yes, i recognize perp #3… he’s a friend of mine… i’ll take custody of him officer… come on @Geoffers747, let’s get you cleaned up”

i get the feeling the team is just very excited to showcase their progress, and engage us on as many levels as possible… it really helps energize the community… :+1:

while im not aware of said conflicts, this is indeed what SH is using…

1 Like

Googled to double check and I’m right that there is normally CSS and JS conflicts. Apparently there’s less since bootstrap 2 but they’re still there, my quick look only revealed datepickers as a confirmed conflict but there is workarounds and hacks. Be interesting to see how they handle it.

i think they were using bootstrap for the buttons though, correct? i’m not sure they would be using the datepicker content…

Exactly, they only use some of the tools in a very limited fashion.

The Parrot of Death has come for your soul…

here’s my capture from the first 45 minutes of the stream… @Geoffers747 can scarf this up for his Q&A thread:

random bits and pieces

• coding up ui in html and js (< 400 lines of code)

• there are predefined categories across all unit types; if a unit can craft something within a given group, it will be displayed

• there will likely be multiple ways to view the list of available recipes (only text, text + icon, only icon)

• current working list, subject to change

• weapons & armor

• food & drink

• furnishings

• construction materials

• decoration

• when you click an item to craft, the working queue of items will be displayed, which can be managed - ordered, scrolled, paused

• chrome window on top of gamescreen

• entire UI is written in HTML and javascript (with CSS for styling) … with jquery UI and ajax framework (ember) used to update portions of the interface in real time - no reload required

• within the HTML, there are blocks of code (handle bars) that shove dynamic content into the HTML; the dynamic content comes from in game data (people, blocks of wood, etc.), which is exposed via URLs

• jqueryUI for accordion; bootstrap for widgets and tooltips (skinned for fantasy theme)

• mod writers will expose data in lua, and the game with autogenerate the API (the drill downs to various chunks of game related data)

• (first cut) beta will focus on building and crafting (in a much more complete state), with farming, combat, etc. to roll into the game after beta and before release; beta will be updated quite often before release

questions

(did not capture the repeated questions about alpha, beta, content updates, core programming languages, etc.)

how is your C++ interacting with the HTML UI? - 18:48

• its not so much the C++, but the data you expose in the mods; ex. you would expose a list of music into the UI via a known URI

can i play my unity web player in a multiplayer game? - 20:48

• no, addons like that wont work, because of chromium; anything that is standard web compliant should work though

how will it work if i want to reuse some of the shown elements? - 26:27

• they would like to ship all UI code in the clear; failing that, they would like to provide a subset (widgets, stylesheets)

will there be pictures of the item in the crafting menu? - 27:11

• yes, multiple views in fact (text, text + icon, only icons)

will we need to make parts to build bigger contraptions? - 28:38

• yes, but they want to be careful about how they do that (require intermediate goods); too many is unfun and awful; yes, they will be present, but will show up more towards the advanced crafting game

will there be a mod management ui? 29:06

• yes, and there will be standard places for where content would fit best in the UI (similar to WoW UI modding)

can we ride the wombat in the game? 31:25

• the wombat will probably make its way into the game

can we get more information on how the modular buildings are going to work? 33:01

• buildings are made of components that can be customized: ex. roof, retaining wall, floor, wall, columns, horizontal beams; imagine building on graph paper: you can customize the floor layout; pick materials and styles for walls; pick roof variants, etc. having the component pieces like this enables the “blowout” view which was demonstrated in the first look prototype video

prefabs possible / can we build a mod that providese a complicated design (collesium) that the player can drop into their world? 42:30

• yes, in lua you could manipulate (maybe) everytign the player could do; alterntively they would like for players to be able to design their own buildings and save as a plan/blueprint, which can be used to stamp out the same building over and over (and then eventually share this design with their friends)

do you think making your project in unity would have saved you time? 44:12

• no, the problem with unity was the need for lua-based modding

will we need mammoths to move large quantities of material? 45:14

• it’s a great idea; they are talking about using carts, etc. as well
5 Likes

I was asleep(I live in Europe) when the stream started, but I was watched it today. The first half hour was awesome, to bad you didn’t do more UI. Really nice with ember.js, handlebars, jqueryui and I also saw less. I’m familier with all of them except ember, but I checked it out today, really cool. Hopefully you will have some more UI and Mod coding stream in the future.

1 Like

agreed… i absolutely love seeing a photoshop mockup come to life in an application (or game, in this case)… would definitely like to see more as the UI advances… :+1:

Only an hour into it, but I’ll have to echo the sentiment for more HTML, scripting and actual code. I know 70-90% of the audiance does not know one lick of HTML or Javascript but for those of us who do, we will be your core modders showing others how to do that.

As for the recaps, did I miss you guys saying that what will be in the Beta has been declared? Basically two things:

1. Buildings
  2. Crafting

That’s it for the Beta. What was unsaid about that is that the mod engine will be in Beta, perhaps that is a given at this point.

No combat in the Beta was also mentioned, but if modding is in the Beta, we can add combat.

1 Like

Can we rename this thread to ‘Flash Stream 25 June Discussion’?

Every time I see this at the top of discourse I think there is another live stream and I get all excited! It’s like an excitement rollercoaster :frowning:

1 Like

Well, as far as modding being “in the beta”, I doubt that they’ll have the modding distribution and syncing framework that they plan on having by release, though that might appear at least in a rough form (If not from them, I’m pretty sure a basic solution will appear within the community). As far as “whats in the beta”, the initial, first download of the beta will be mainly the building and crafting aspects of the game, and more will be added as they update towards release.

I’m doing this on my phone foggy so i don’t wanna take any responsibility for what happens.

Hmm. Not sure if it’s foggy, your phone is foggy… or I’m foggy? ‘< Insert Fry.jpg >’ :wink:

Edit: Thanks for fixing that Joffers xD :heart:

his phone was foggy… i took the liberty of cleaning it, and updated the title to include the “theme” of the live stream, as well as the OP with a link to the archived content…

yes, i’m quite the :angel:

2 Likes

I hate you, and I hate @SteveAdamo. That is all.

My phone decided your name would be better without the ‘r’ so, sorry about that! I tried my best,but yet again, it fell extremely short of Steve’s astronomically high standards. What’s a girl to do.

I changed ISP yesterday which left me with no internet for what can only be described as the worst 24 hours of my life. The sweating and the shaking have stopped, and I’ve emerged from my corner to spread justice around the place.

4 Likes

@Geoffers747 The king is dead, long live the king!

See… there are not many people for whom the devs are skipping the desktop tuesday. Hope next time you change the ISP, you will do it on another day of the week :wink:.