(WIP) The Arcane Expansion: Wizards n' Stuff

It’s ok, we still love you @8BitCrab :wink:

Hope you feel “up” soon! If you need someone to vent/talk to, i’m there to listen, buddy.

4 Likes

Begin energy transference procedure: ////You Can Do it!!!/////
hope that helps/

3 Likes

thanks for the encouragement guys :blush:

here’s a couple things i forgot to show earlier,

research desk

the main workbench of the arcane researcher, even though it may look like a mess, the researcher knows exactly where everything is.

researchers sign

tried to make it look like a magnifying glass, not sure i succeeded…

encrusted blade/armor/helm

while mining you have a chance of finding pieces of encrusted armor and weapons, the researcher can “identify” these to make rare armor types

heh, even though it wasn’t meant to be, this is more of an update than my update from earlier…

10 Likes

WOW it looks amazing. Though the magnifying glass looks a bit like a key… perhaps a vial would be a better sign?
Keep up the awesome work!:smile::smile:

edit: something like this?

I like the idea of the vial. I’d choose the second one, because it’s simpler. The signs are not that big and the upper vial has more details, it might look weird.

But what am I talking, I have no experience in pixel art/voxel editing :smiley:

The sign is maybe a bit too similar to the cooks spoon no?

i’ll try it, but that doesn’t really fit with the researcher or convey that they are about research, a vial makes it look more like they craft potions…

well… yes and no, i mean, the color is completely different on mine, and the magnifying glass is pointing the opposite direction of the spoon… so even just with the colors i don’t think you would get them confused.

i’ll play around with a few more designs, my first attempt was a scroll/book but that didn’t turn out.

2 Likes

I see what you mean about the book;

It looks like I’m selling window fixtures…

Tried making them !! excited about research…

Instead, creeping bunnies…

Crystal ball?

Or creepy one eye? You decide!

When in doubt, whip your wand out?

Good ol’ magic swirly thingy, at least you are my friend…

Because all magic clearly starts as math!

ALL HAIL THE MAGIC CRAB!

I hope this terribly pathetic attempts at least made you smile a little.

9 Likes

haha, while i love them all, though they still hold the problem of not really conveying research, but rather they make it look like the researchers are all about magic…

here’s a quick design i tried, a piece of paper and quill, the color needs tweaking to stand out more, but i’m actually pretty happy with this one.

and here’s the best i could get with the vial design. i’m happy with this on too, but it still makes me think more of potions than research…

5 Likes

Is that research desk animated? Cause it should be! :stuck_out_tongue:
Spinning the crystal, maybe bobbing up and down.

2 Likes

though it probably won’t end up animated, but the crystal lamp will glow and have a particle effect, similar to my forest-rune lamps :smile:

1 Like

I love the use of desaturated colors in your models, @8BitCrab :slight_smile:

They look great! I’ll follow your progress on this mod. If you need any help, I’m happy to listen.

2 Likes

thanks :slight_smile: i always try and desaturate the colors i use to make the models look worn out/old, and to fit in better with the stonehearth color style, though sometimes i think i go a bit overboard with desaturation :worried:

The most common thing people think of when you say research is people in white lab coats playing with vials filled with funny colors and smoke, so that might explain the idea a bit more :wink:

I do like the idea of a magnifying glass as well

anyways, I am sure you’ll make it look awesome :slight_smile:

i guess that’s true, but i don’t think people would generally jump to that image in a fantasy/medieval setting, but rather to library’s… maybe that’s just me though…

1 Like

i totally get the idea. the thing is that getting the right icon for a researcher is difficult e.g. the book is taken by the herbalist. or are the researchers an expansion of the herbalist class?

dont enchantments require runes or something? perhaps try something like that?

I don’t know… when I think of a researcher in fantasy setting, I usually think of an alchemist meddling with weird chemicals and stuff.

wait, the book is taken by the herbalist? or do you mean cleric?

they’ll most likely be a “standalone” class, promoted from worker

interesting idea, but i’m not sure how i would get that across… just put a strange symbol on the sign?

well… when i hear the word “research” in a medieval/fantasy setting i think of a library stuffed with knowledge… to each his own i guess…

An interesting thing about Japanese culture is that the word for discovery, hakken 発見, from my understanding is that the first Kanji represents a person walking though the gates of a temple where archives were kept.

So I jump to a similar image as you. :laughing: But maybe it’s just you and I then :wink:

1 Like

could be cleric. don’t quote me on that lol :slight_smile:

i’m just gonna throw some ideas out there so here goes:

• if standalone perhaps something of a prerequisite rank would be nice as enchantments and stuff will be OP imho
  • maybe expansions are a better option. → researcher promotes from herbalist/cleric because it would make some sense as to the knowledge they get. in other words, a herbalist kinda learns everything about plants, but when promoted to researcher he wants to learn more of the arcane in the plants etc. etc.
  • replace herbalist class with researcher class. Keep the herbalist stuff but add all the arcane of an enchanter.

a quick google search of runes got some interesting options. also it has some good synergy with your runic lights mod :slight_smile: