Ownership options?

I guess I’ll classify this as a suggestion though it’s more of a question. I just bought the game yesterday and I love it and, even more, I’m excited to see what it will become. One thing right now that I’m wondering about is: is there a way to set ownership of a building or, at the very least, a bed? My guess is not since I can’t find it and there’s not exactly a huge plethora of menus available, but I thought I’d ask here.

4 Likes

Beds used to be owned by the first person to use them. The team has said previously that they’ll bring bed (and possibly other stuff) ownership back once they find a better way to do it.

2 Likes

Yep. Re-implementing this kind of stuff is on the list for the Trello roadmap board but currently classified as “we will get around to it after all this other stuff we need to do”.

2 Likes

oh I hope we can assign people what belongs to them. For example, I have a farmer’s house right next to the fields, I’d want the farmer to own that house (or everything in it… or just the bed…) but I’d have to take a lot of care to ensure he is the first one to sleep in it. If they just re-implement it as it was.Hopefully finding a better way of doing it means letting the player assign beds, furniture, and or houses. I do hope the ownership feature will include chairs too… its kind of odd for someone to barge into another’s house to have a meal…

This has probably been suggested, but here it is again haha

4 Likes

well, in some ways ownership of the entire house would be better. because making it so that every object belongs to someone seems to much like micromanagement, which is something TR wants to try and avoid in this lovely game.

1 Like

I believe their official statement is that if you want to micro you can. It gives you slightly better results or for your own pleasure. But if you don’t want to micro you don’t have to. So a hearthling will pick his own bed if you don’t assign him one.
Picking an entire house will be difficult if you have more rooms in a house. Or more chairs in a room.

2 Likes

well, in some ways it could be done in the “zones” ways ive seen suggested, though that just seems awkward and not very “fun”…

Might be awkward, but might be an option. The problem is how to implement it exactly?
For every single hearthling? For jobs? Are others allowed to pass? What if they need to take something from there or need to place something in there?

How to implement ownership in a fun and easy way is actually a very hard problem.

I remember Tom talking about the ownership problem in the old, long forgotten livestreams.
There was a suggestion about restricting door passage by selecting people from a list who get access. The rest are not allowed to pass through that door.
But it is very micro intensive, you have to set every door for every citizen. Also the overview who is allowed to walk through which door is difficult. Plus the earlier mentioned problems.
And that is all without taking the actual coding into account as it may bot be allowed to take up to much resources.
There was also talk about signs to make a specific building a carpentry or a blacksmith for example. Just by placing it on a wall. But I don’t remember the details anymore.

The easiest solution is just selecting ownership of individual furniture as far as I see. But in that case you can’t have a own house for your hearthlings.

2 Likes

well currently there are signs in-game, but i dont believe they do anything.

1 Like

Indeed, but there were plans to do something with it someday. :smile:

well, then in some ways using signs could be a way to make “ownership” of a house. you could assign each banner/sign to a hearthling and when its placed on a building it would make it that hearthlings building.

thought you dont always want a banner/sign on a house :confused:

2 Likes

Build house/ attach blank sign to it.

Adding residents:
Click sign on home/ brings up current hearthling settlers list and a Occupy list to the right of it. Along with an Add/Remove/Cancel/Confirm button.
click add/ click what hearthlings you want to move in then click confirm and it will shift those you checked into the occupy list.
Maybe have the sign get a set of random glyphs on the sign to signify its occupied.

Remove resident:
Click sign on building/ brings up current hearthling list and a current occupied list to the right of current hearthling settlers list/ click remove/ click heartlings you want removed from occupy list and it sends them back to Current hearthling settlers list/click Confirm.

Leaving sign blank (or no sign): Allows all hearthlings access to buildings.

Assigning beds: Hold left shift/click hearthling/click bed/right click. This can also apply to assigning things. You had a carpenter, made a work bench and he died :frowning: You make a new carpenter but you want him to use the same work bench instead of building another one…

3 Likes

i like your thinking @Soul, though i dont always want a sign on my hearthlings house :wink:

1 Like

That’s why I put in the Assigning beds and object deal :slight_smile:
So that way you can still semi “occupy” a place or thing w/o a need for the sign’s.

then you would have to make it entire houses also, because sometimes i just want my carpenter to live in a house, and i dont want a sign on the house :laughing:

that was the original problem…

Same deal hold left shift click hearthling/ click building, insta-ownership w/o the sign. Want to move him? Hold left shift Click same hearthling and same home… they are homeless again :frowning:

They could even put a lil icon next too them in the citizens list to signify they have a residency, and if you forget were exactly it is, click the icon and it will center on the home. If they own individual items, dresser/bed/table they can have another small icon to signify they own items (icon looks like a chest).

1 Like

You can also do an address panel or a letter box or a flag or something else at the blacksmith or at the weaver or at the carpenter.
Everything in the building belongs to the heartling who’s referenced by it.
With the possibility to reference more than 1 hearthling to an address object.

3 Likes

Hi. I’m not sure if this is planned or not, but, I would really like it if we can assign hearthlings to beds and/or assign them to specific buildings. Its kind of sad that i made an awesome blacksmith shop/house fully furnished with his anvil and all his smithing supplies, yet, my blacksmith is the only one who doesn’t sleep there or hang around there lol… anyway, love the game and look forward to its evolution.

P.S. Add custom patrol routes for military units? please? :stuck_out_tongue:

2 Likes

Welcome to the discousre, @Adam_Herndon! It is planned for assinging certain hearthlings to items and houses. Custom patrol routes are planned as well.

1 Like

Awesome. Thanks for the confirmation!

1 Like