Nihonjin: Japanese Themed Mod [On Hold]

I haven’t sat down and thought about it for very long, but that is similar to what I have thought about. Creating a module that would cause a Ronin to come, maybe a temporary visit during a tough battle to help bolster your military, and maybe you can try and convince the Ronin to join your clan afterwards.[quote=“freeboy99007, post:82, topic:2289, full:true”]
I was thinking Ninjas, other Samurai, the Mongols, Koreans or the Chinese might make better enemies.
[/quote]
I do have plans on having rival Samurai clans being one of the major opponents for this mod. Time permitting I’d like to have the Mongols make an appearance as well.

Some Ronin might make a journey into your village with the aims of taking on your best samurai in a duel to the death though. :wink:

covers ears

Ahhhh that’s like dragging your nails down a chalk board. :astonished: There are no plurals in Japanese. Just one of my pet peeves. :frowning:

2 Likes

I don’t know if motorcycles make the best enemies in a medieval fantasy game.

4 Likes

I just spent 10 minutes trying to find out how to use strikethrough on my post so I need you to just pretend that it works okay.

You mean like this? Just type < s > apple < / s > without spaces and replacing apple with whatever you want :smile:

swoons

just remember, with great power, comes great opportunities for comedy responsibility…

I think it’s @ManOfRet I have to thank for the ability to make people laugh until they explode mwahahahaha do this. Before that I’d thought it was just a moderator thing :smile:

GOOGLE HAS FAILED ME!!!

**starts to cry

You’ve lost me. o.o lols

Update

I’m working on a project for this coming weeks qubicle contest, the Japanese blacksmith’s workshop and I need your help! Besides the furnace, anvil and quenching trough, what are some upgrades do you think there should be for the blacksmith and what type of perks do you think they should give?

1 Like

a quick bit of googling reveals the blacksmith’s “striker”… an assistant who wields “a large sledgehammer, as directed by the blacksmith”…

A blacksmith’s striker is an assistant (frequently an apprentice),
whose job it is to swing a large sledgehammer in heavy forging
operations, as directed by the blacksmith. In practice, the blacksmith
will hold the hot iron at the anvil (with tongs) in one hand, and
indicate where the iron is to be struck by tapping it with a small
hammer held in the other hand: the striker then delivers a heavy blow
with the sledgehammer where indicated. During the 20th century and
into the 21st century, this role has been increasingly obviated and
automated through the use of trip hammers or reciprocating power
hammers.

@SteveAdamo so the blacksmith would become a two man team consisting of the blacksmith and his assistant the “striker” who would be reasonable for delivering the heavy blows necessary for forging larger swords and armor?

yes sir, i believe thats the general idea… seems like a nice advancement for a workshop, right? having your own assistant? :smiley:

If you havn’t seen a Japanese smith forging a Katana you should really look it up on youtube, such an interesting art. :smile:

A lot of sword-smiths in Japan have two assistants that hammer on the heated metal while the smith uses a smaller hammer to either indicate where to strike the metal or they strike the anvil to help keep the pace of the assistants swinging.

This is something I’ve actually thought about before, having two assistants being required once you reach the stage smithing Tamahagane (jewl steel) that’ll be required to create Katana for the Samurai class. I wasn’t sure if this would be to much of a drain on your worker pool by having three clan members required to make weapons. The assistants would help power the special furnace that is required to turn Iron Sand into Jewel Steel and then they would wield the hammers when creating the higher level weapons as well as possibly gathering resources for the smith.

Update

Black Smith Workshop Levels 0.1

Tier 0

• Basic Furnace
  • Basic Anvil (squre block)
  • Wooden Water Bucket

Tier 1

• Upgraded Furnace
  • Upgraded Anvil (Square block)
  • Wooden Water Trough

Tier 2

• Upgraded Furnace 2.0
  • Anvil
  • Stone Water Trough
  • 1 Apprentice
  • Armor Smithing Workbench

Tier 3

• Fancy Furnace (Added vent Hood)
  • Fancy Anvil
  • Metal Water Trough
  • 2 Apprentices
  • Fancy Armor Smiting Workbench
  • Tatara (Special Furnace to create Jewel Steel)

What’s everyone think of this? (Drafted up in 2 minutes lol)

1 Like

alright searching “Japanese smith forging a Katana” on youtube be back in a few hours.

1 Like

better than i could have put together in 20 minutes, so… yeah, i like it quite a bit… :smile: :+1:

Just be wary that your workshop doesn’t end up too ‘busy’ - it’s cool to be able to fit a workshop in within 7x7 spaces, as @Tom did on a livestream.

If you can fit all of that in though, fantastic :smile:

I’m fairly sure that it wont be able to fit int a 7x7 space, especially with the addition of the Tatara. The blacksmith workshop I have in mind is going to be pretty much the fusion of three separate classes (Blacksmith, Swordsmith, and Armor Smith) that I had planned but I found that that was just too many classes.

I could make it fit into a 7x7 space if I remove the Tatara but the smelting of Iron Sand into Tamahagane is such a huge part of Japanese sword making idk if I could get myself to remove it…

One solution to this is that you could create a separate workshop for the Tamahagane smelting process, as it is its own processes in the real world and takes up a lot of space. This would actually work quite well if I wanted to add a little realizm to the process and made it so smelting processes takes three in game days, takes a lot of raw materials and gives a lot of Tamahagane, so you won’t be smelting all the time. The blacksmith and his apprentices would run both workshops, but the Smelting workshop would only be part time.

Two workshops would be fine if it’s a big process and you feel it merits it’s own. There is the alternative that the player can just build a bigger building and have a bigger building too, however you can’t rely on it. I think two would be fine though.

Live streaming at 5:00pm EST (1hr and 45mins from now)! Planning on doing some work on the blacksmith’s workshop and maybe revisiting the Kasha monster model. Have anything you’d like to see? Let me know!

Update: Live in 10 minutes! Anyone having issues with chat?

Post Livestream Update: Thanks to everyone that showed up! Also would like to give a special thanks to @Pandemic for giving me some tips on color shading and allowing me to use his color maps. Spent a little time after the stream adding a little more detail to the Smelting half of the Blacksmith workshop and I’ll give you a little sneak peak of it:

The center object is the furnace that smelts the Iron Sand into Jewel Steel. Next to the furnace are walls that protect the bellows and apprentices from the heat of the furnace. On the outside are two “teeter totter” type bellows that will be powered by the blacksmith’s assistants (which will be complete with funny animations).

To Do List:

• Add Air Pipeing
  • Finish Inside of Furnace
4 Likes

Temporary Hiatus

I would like to apologize for my lack of posting lately. :frowning:

The chief instructor of my martial science system has came out of retirement and is re-organizing and upgrading our federation. Within the past week multiple last minute events have been poping up and I’m going to be in a lot of conference calls for the next few weeks. So between this, work, and school I am going to have to take at least a few weeks away from modeling and brainstorming for my mod. I can’t specifically say when I’ll be back up and running but I don’t think it’ll be more than a few weeks before things settle down a little bit.

I’ll make sure to stop by and check out the fourms quite a bit though. :smile:

Quick Update: Mod Reorganization

Just wanted to post a quick update just to let everyone know I havn’t died (or lost my fingers during Iaido training @SteveAdamo)

Life hasn’t really slowed down, it’s actually gotten busier. I’ve been thinking and for the time being I think it would be best if I shift my Mod’s progress a little bit. I will still design a Japanese themed mod(s) but as of now it is not going to be a full game overload like my previous goal.

New Goals:

1. Japanese Themed Modules
  • Ronin: A ronin may randomly venture into your village. What will he do? Join your ranks? Challenge your warriors to a duel? Ask you for assistance and gain Japanese tech as a reward?
  1. Japanese Foods and Items

2. Japanese Building Variants

These are subject to change and the list is a work in progress. As I slowly get work done the pieces may fit together to eventually become a full Japanese mod. But for now the goal after beta is to begin to add modules and a little Japanese flare here and there.

5 Likes

Good idea to move on with small steps. That might be also easier from a motivational point of view (as you see faster that something happens). Maybe you can also think about modding one of the existing NPC-camps… turning it into a small japanese village?