Nihonjin: Japanese Themed Mod [On Hold]

nice! the folks on the outside look like they might be wearing coifs?

Pretty much, they are a type of headcowl. The next two variation I plan are to make is a headcowl that will go over the mouth as well, along with one with just a simple headband. Also an interesting point that is probably not very noticeable, the green on the chests are meant to resemble samurai type armor that is worn under their kimono.

Update (8/7/2013)

: Well sadly to say I haven’t had much motivation lately to make more progress on my designs. I keep looking at some of my old models and realize how non-inspired they seem.

I however do have one thing in the works, a submission for this week’s quibcle contest. Be prepared for a japanese folktale monster to make a visit. . .

1 Like

I would suggest dulling the colors a bit, they are really bright!

A gigantic sake drink that feasts upon humans?

But monks are bright ball of peace… ermmm… war and killing. Yeah i’ll add that to my to do list.

If only I were talented enough to capture the essence of that monstrosity! Not exactly, I’ll give two hints though Fire and Stealing Dead Bodies :wink:

oh good grief, i cant wait to see what you’re cooking up… :astonished:

1 Like

I dunno, fire and dead bodies don’t make the best casserole.

1 Like

You obviously havn’t tried my aunt’s famous recipe then. :wink: bahahaha

2 Likes

Update: Have been busy searchin for another part time job. Re posting my subscription from the last quibical contest inncase anyone has any comments or suggestions. It’s sorta a WIP.

We stare at the wise old man as he tells us this mythic story and
utters one last warning to us.

“The dead must be buried with haste, let them rot and the Kasha will
come to take them to the gates of Hell! Do not interfere if this shall
happen, or you may as well end up being a midnight snack!”

Didn’t get much time to finish up the model, it’s only half done but I
decided to submit it anyways. Hope you enjoy it anyways. :smile:

2 Likes

Well Avairian, you have certainly been doing a great job on this mod. Others as well as myself will be sitting on the edge of our seats on the mod download pages once this game comes out, in desperate suspense as we wait for you to upload this mod for our gaming pleasure.
I might also suggest that you look into some building models, such as modular castle and defense works. That would be quite interesting.

2 Likes

Thanks GeorgeCrecy! I believe I have a few 1st run basic house models somewhere that I was messing with. I’ll have to dig them up and take a second shot at them. I also found a nice cutaway image of Himeji Castle that I’ve been wanting to re-create.

I’ve been absolutely swamped at work the past week so sorry for the lack of updates and the half finished Kasha model. We’ve been preparing for corporate to come in and rate our store, so it’s has been a few weeks full of long hours of cleaning, scraping grease and losing my mind. Tomorrow is my one day mini vacation and I should be back to modeling after that. :smile:

Guess I can post the very first house variant I worked on. I am kinda liking the colors for it as well as I’m semi satisfied with the first attempt at a thatched roof.

Still a WIP but let me know what you think, I don’t mind heavy criticism either. :wink:

I like the shape of it and the look, however do think the roof needs work. It’s shape’s fine but I’m just not keen on the way the two colours mix.

I hope you meant it when you said you wanted criticism :smile:

I know what you mean. Not quite sure how to get the thatched look and this is the first attempt, might try making the two colors a little closer in shade as well as a different pattern. The shape was my main goal anyways so I’m glad you don’t find that horrendous. :stuck_out_tongue_closed_eyes:

Tear my models up if you want! :wink: I want them to look the best that they can be and I know I’m not a master modeler.

I certainly think a closer shade’s a step in the right direction. As for the shape, I find it quite the opposite of horrendous! Will we be seeing billions of variations of roof, as Radiant have done? :smile:

A million maybe, but a billion is just a little to much for me! :wink: I have four shape variation types already planned out in my head, then you have material variations and color variations and so on and so on and so on. . . .

Ashigaru (Footmen) Update: I just returned from my Iaido class with two, amazingly illustrated, bilingual books on the history of Japanese armor that my Sensei let me borrow. @voxel_pirate, you should hopefully be happy to hear that there is a chapter in each book that showcases countless types of Ashigaru and Samurai armor and helmet variations. That means that the level 1 and level 2 Spearmen and Archers should have their own unique style. Be prepared for some wicked looking helmets in the near future. :smile:

Update #2: This was rushed and is the first run at this type of helmet style but I just had to share it. My only reaction to it is pretty much summed up by this: :astonished:

This has to be the most hilarious/epic helmet I have ever seen in my life. :astonished:
Comments? Or criticism of extreme hatred? lmao

8 Likes

I am liking it a lot! I’m not sure I know of many bows with such an offset grip however, unless he was planning on a trip to an Alps ski resort with another of those…
Also, does this lovely book have a name, so we can look it up?

you might want to consider shading and “roughing” up the colours a few degrees in certain areas. IT stops that flat colour look. just think about showed areas

the house has a nice roof design, as has been mentioned… but the colors just blend together, and you lose much of the detail… i would definitely adjust the color palette, and add some varying colors in the walls, etc. to add some depth…

the helmet im liking as well (design wise), but again, perhaps you could try introducing some variations on the metal sides, similar to what you did with the “ear flaps”… :+1:

I guess it might be a challenge to model it… but I would love to see some pagoda-style buildings :wink:. Also great to hear that you have found some inspiration. My personal opinion is that it would be great if you can implement different types and they are different enough to be kind of a signature for each class. That would be close to what vanilla Stonehearth is going to be (from what we know) and make your mod more accessible.

Haha yeah it’s a Japanese thing, it’s called a yumi. There are quite a few interesting theories as to why the bow is asymmetric, i’ll leave you to the research if it intrests you. :wink:

That was my plan for version 2.0 :smile: With my tendinitis still in the recovery stage it seems that I can only finish the model without much shading before my wrist begins to hurt. :frowning:

A challenge it will definitely be. I had tried that type of roof pattern once but I had scrapped what I had done, I think I know how to fix it though. It’ll be a more complex model to work on once my wrists feel a little better.

Exactly what I started to do here. The helmet style here for the Yumi Ashigaru has a completely different look then the one I have in mind for the Yari Ashigaru. I also began to experiment for leather armor as apposed to iron armor Also the biggest signature for the Yumi Ashigaru will of course be the quiver on their back. So the first two tiers of Ashigaru should all have their own signature look.

The last tier of the foot solders still may look extremely similar like I had shown earlier, as the Samurai had began to formalize the Ashigaru to be uniform. However, if I take this path I’ll make it so they have a little bit of a signature, plus give the ability to change the look/color of the class (army custimization 101 :stuck_out_tongue:) if the player would rather take a slightly less historical approach to this. What you think about this approach @voxel_pirate?

2 Likes

I hope you can forgive my doubt. I hadn’t noticed the asymmetrical grip of the Yumi bow, as I was thinking I was more familiar with it than I obviously am.