Nihonjin: Japanese Themed Mod [On Hold]

I know that it might be quite a challenge, but have you thought to differentiate them as the devs are trying to do it, i.e. via different helmets? I like the idea of this flag, as for me it is very nice fitting to the setting… but I would see it more for a specific class than as a differentiator.

yeah… it might be a little harder to read from a distance, but even a color swath through one helmet vs. another might make them stand apart even further…

i like he flag distinction though! as for attaching them… they cant connect via a belt/strap around the waist or torso perhaps?

edit: protruding backwards from the waste/torso, to connect to the flag pole… is what i meant… :wink:

Sashimono were the historical solution to figuring out who was who on the battlefield, so I applaud the use here. Historically melee troops had them more often, but I don’t see any harm in giving them to all troops here. Maybe allow players to add their own Mon (if Stonehearth supports that sort of customized image)?

-Will

It is a solution I have thought about, however from the research I have done most common soldiers wore the same style of war hat no matter what class they were (if they wore one at all). I have seen a few uncommon shape variations that were pretty much just a round disk above the head or another style where the sides were folded inwards but I don’t know if they had any special uses, perhaps by higher ranks. I have a few armor books ordered that will hopefully shed some light on this.

Like this?

I could see how this might clash with certain armor color variations, but may be a possible addition.

One of the things I’ve had in the back of my mind. :smile: I was also thinking if something like that doesn’t work I’d created a few Mon that the player should be able to choose from.

Update

After hours of futile research and trying to come up with variations for the elite soldiers helmets I got a little frusterated and decided to put them on the back burner for now to start on a new project:

After being given armor, the samurai dressed in a simple, yet elegant, kimono will transform into these heavily armored warriors of feudal japan. :smile: Here I mashed up a few variations and in the center you can see Katsumoto from the movie “The Last Samurai”.

10 Likes

wow, those helmets look fantastic! subtle but effective variations… it will probably help to zoom out to see how these will read from the normal perspective too…

[quote=“SteveAdamo, post:27, topic:2289”]
zoom out to see how these will read from the normal perspective too…
[/quote]Not sure how far you wanted, so here are these:

8 Likes

wow, the helmets are distinguishable even in the second image… :+1:

So it seems like you can differentiate with helmets only :wink:. Good job.

WOW!! LOVE IT MAN. great work!

Fantastic work on the helmets! They ‘read’ great and look the part from all angles.

-Will

I agree. I think we need these at least, but if it’s practicable, we should totally have some of the more outrageous helmets, especially for heroes and your leaders.

I think there is also a real possibility for integrating classic Japanese folklore and mythology into the core concept of Stonehearth, because of the extreme prevalence of touchy spirits and gods in them. Your spiritualists and priestly types will be your go to solution to times when you foolishly offended the spiritual realm by throwing the balance of the world off by over harvesting, or not doing the right rituals, or just some intangible thing you didn’t even notice that made SOMETHING mad for reasons you are not entirely clear about, but must deal with.

I think their should be a possibility to get angry supernatural heat for randomly generated, minor breaches of protocol. It would be kind of funny.

Your other go to solution would obviously be your brave Samurai and other doughty heroes. Maybe Samurai aren’t the best solution for tricksy, nimble stuff like Tengu, or Tanuki, or Kitsune. Maybe you need the magical and NInja type of help.

And again, the battery of festivals and little things to keep things happy and in their proper order, that seems very well addressed by investing in religious stuff and nifty little shrines. You could even have a bit of a trade off by saying “am I more Buddhist, or more Shinto?”

Note: Just for clarity… The newer image I posted in the last update is of the Samurai Class which are the next step up from the Elite Spear-Men and Elite Archers.

The color swath down the middle of the Elite Soldiers or the Samurai helmets?

I’ve been focusing on the military tree as well as a few of the crafting classes but I’ve also had a few thoughts along the line of what you were talking about. Ninja will be in the game at some point (probably a tad more on the realistic side than today’s myths hold but they’ll still be a lot of fun), and I’ve been looking into tying some Japanese folklore and mythology into the mix with special quests and in possibly implementing both Shinto and Buddhist religions.

Ashigaru Update:

Taking a look back at the Ashigaru (Foot Soldier) tree I have fleshed out a few more ideas.
Ashigaru are going to be spit into three tiers:

Novice → Regular → Elite

Novice: The novice solders will wear simple clothing as any normal peasant would and would equip a simple wooden weapon. Here there different classes would be in specific clothing color and design for the models.

Regular: As technology increases novice solders will be upgraded into regular solders using stone weapons. Class models will be even more styled where archers might be wearing just robes and a headband while spear men might be wearing some sort of hide armor.

Elite: As simple peasants solders began to evolve into a more formal military they were provided with light metal armor and metal weapons and uniforms began to standardize. Here all Ashigaru will be in very similar armor that by default will be the same color (I hope to create a system that’ll allow you to choose armor colors for each class if this system doesn’t work for you.) I’d like to have slight variations to the different class helmets (Ex: Archers have a wider hat brim) but they will likely be very similar design. Different colored sashimono (and possible a stripe down their helmet) will designate which class they are.

I hope this helps to explain why I’ve been pushing towards this style of uniform Elite Classes. The commanders and Samurai had more more money and authority so they could afford to create and maintain their own armor. The foot solders however at first had to bring their own weapons and scrounge around for armor. As the military began to formalize Daimyo had armor with their clan colors mass produced and handed out to solders no matter what weapon they carried.

So don’t worry, there’ll be a little room for class variation, especially if you decide to change their armor colors.

First draft of the Ashigaru class models:

Novice Yari Ashigaru / Novice Yumi Ashigaru

Yari Ashigaru / Yumi Ashigaru

Elite Yari Ashigaru / Elite Yumi Ashigaru

Added some variation to them so they each look distinct. Not quite sure if I like the face plate on the second tier spearman. Changed up the Elite Archer’s armor a tad, added a brim to the hat along with a quiver. Decided to try using using the under armor clothing’s color to also help differentiate the classes, so only the color of the armor itself will be the same between all classes. I’m kind of liking this approach. Thoughts?

P.S. Idk why the third gif isn’t working, kinda lazy to fix it now. :sweat_smile:
P.S.S. Nevermind fixed it. lmao

1 Like

I think it’d look better if they all had hats on. Maybe different types of hats, but they don’t feel ‘ashigaru’ enough without those wide-brimmed hats. At least in my opinion.

Also, any plans for Loan Sword Ashigaru, Monks, Ninjas, or Ronin (though I suppose if you have Samurai, you won’t have Ronin)

I’m still looking into different types of hats, have a book about ashigaru coming in hopefully Saturday that might have some more information about them. Might also give the second tier the same hat but make it a light tan color to symbolise that it’s made of straw instead of iron. The look I was trying to achieve without the hats is that they are just peasants who just picked up some simple weapons to defend their village. Most likely the first tier won’t have helmets even if I figure out a few other helmet designs.

I’ve been debating about the Loan Sword Ashigaru, but I’m not sure since most Ashigaru didn’t use swords, or they used them as a backup weapon. Monks I have planned with the addition of religion, as well as the Buddhist Warrior Monks. :smiley: Ninja will probably make it into game as most like a spy/scout type unit. I was thinking Ronin are a possible way to bring in a few Samurai into your city, especially during the early game since my plans are to make the Samurai unit pretty powerful but very difficult to make.

I am going to be taking a few days away from modeling, my tendinitis from a past work injury is starting to come back a little. :frowning: I decided to post what I have done of my latest work though.

Meet my first attempt at a Japanese Dragon:

The body itself seem a little bland, as it looks a bit odd without having scales, not sure how to go about fixing that yet though. The tail is giving me a little issue as well.

4 Likes

not bad! at first glance, that reminded me of the dragon from The Neverending Story… :smile:

Haha thanks! Now that you mention it I do see the resemblance. Now I want to watch that movie again… :smile:

i meant it in the highest regard, as that is one of my childhood favorites… all sorts of cheesy now, but good for a nostalgia trip…

your version has some more formidable eyes however… :wink:

That’s what makes childhood movies the best! I still have to figure out how to shade it a little more though. Haven’t found any good solutions yet, especially since I limited myself to about half an hour of modeling a day during recovery . Hmmmm…

On a side note I received a book, entitled Japanese Warrior Monks, a few days ago and despite a little pain I decided to make a few models. Not perfect but it’s as much as I could handle before the wrist aches started to arrive.

Sohei, translated to Monk Warrior, were a band of monks highly trained in the martial arts. Armed with their naginata, they started as simple Buddhist temple guards but slowly began to grow into a strong military power that even imperial government began to fear. They have sometimes been known to ally themselves e samurai to help bolster their ranks.

2 Likes