Music! Nine themes for Stonehearth [New track: What May Come!]

Nice idea some Romen music :smile:
@Omnus if you have time why not. You can try to make a epic romen theme :blush: but I think I don’t need music for my mod maybe for a trailer :wink: but this will be important for the distant future.

@Lum thanks, that’s very nice!

@Moe2212 your mod ideas look really awesome! It would be fun to write some music for mods once they are more fleshed out. I can see the Roman mod having some very “epic” music.

1 Like

Cool thanks. If you maybe already noticed this is my first mod so I need time to make all this. So you will have more than enought time to think about awesome music :wink:

1 Like

@Moe2212 sounds good - I’m looking forward to it.

Everyone - I’m gonna be taking a trip back home to visit my family for a week or so. I won’t be able to write any new music during this time, but I’ll be around the forums occasionally. Thanks for all the generous support! See you soon-ish! :wave:

3 Likes

Hey everyone! I’m back from good old Indiana - and back to writing some more music. I decided to try writing a piece for the title screen. In creating this music, I wanted to keep a few things in mind:

1. With a voxel game, there’s a tendency to get caught up in the “cuteness” of the art style and try to emulate that with the music, but I wanted to avoid that because it can start to sound like “Saturday morning children’s cartoons” and I think Stonehearth deserves a mature, but appropriate soundtrack.

2. I also wanted to avoid getting too “pop music” - I purposely keep drum sets, filter effects, and things like that out of the music to make sure it feels like you’re playing a fantasy/medieval game, but still has a modern feel.

3. I thought it would be neat to have the title screen music have a sense of “anticipation”, which I hope you’ll hear.

Hope you enjoy this newest one, thanks for listening!

3 Likes

Welcome back!

I can safely say I’ve missed listening to whatever you provide us with :smile:

Loving the new piece, definitely has that hopeful feel to it.

My only criticism (not really a criticism as I have little musical knowledge) is that the horns at the beginning sound too ‘sharp’? Or a bit too abrupt? Just my thoughts on it anyway!

indeed, welcome back @Omnus:smiley:

this absolutely gives me the feeling of setting off on my journey… very nicely done! :+1:

i would have to parrot @Geoffers747’s comments about the opening horns though… i understand the need to start off strong, and lead into the rest of the track, but up to about 00:25, the horns are very “strong”…

in comparison to when they are re-introduced around 00:40, which to me sound better…

then again, i havent a shred of musical talent, so take my comments with all sorts of salty grains… :tongue:

1 Like

This song is really relaxing and it would be perfect for the game. I can hear this in a loop and it wouldn’t bother me.

wow, great job! i really like the swamp and Underground one.

1 Like

I like them all of them, they where all amaing.

1 Like

Thanks @Smith, I’m glad you enjoyed them.

It looks like the devs may have gone a certain direction with the music already, and I have been working on other projects. Nevertheless, I’ll keep the music up on YouTube for the time being!

Cheers!

1 Like

Hm… if I did understand it right, in one of the last live-streams Tom mentioned, that they did not decide yet on the music. But not sure on that one.

i dont recall this being mentioned either… i also dont recall anything specific about the music for beta, which is approaching in a measly four months… :wink:

… I would have to re-listen both weaver-streams, but in my blog I have highlighted that there was no decision made yet on the music.

Yes, your music is good but I think it’s still too intense for Stonehearth. The ideal music would be light and minimal and these are not really minimal or light at all. Take Minecraft’s music; it features 1 instrument with one set of music (no overlays/backing) which is perfect for indie games, especially those such as Minecraft or Stonehearth that are very openworldy and free.

@SteveAdamofound it @ 59:20 “No decision on music yet.”

2 Likes

you sir, just earned a few more internet points… well done!

http://www.cwu.edu/~jonase/goodjob.jpg

Well that’s good to know. I was basing my assumption on the fact that they’ve used other originally composed pieces in their livestream videos (for the intros). Thanks for the link @voxel_pirate!

@Zooka128 The intense stuff was written very early on - you may not have listened to my more recent tracks. Most of my tracks are very light and minimal. You seem to be suggesting that tracks with 1 instrument should be used for open world indie games, simply because they are used in Minecraft - I can’t really respond to that because it seems nonsensical. Surely an open world can have some minimal orchestral music that employs multiple instruments. I believe a rich game like Stonehearth deserves an equally compelling soundtrack.

I really like your new track. Well, it isn’t really new as it was released more than five months ago.

So, ummm, yeah.

Thanks EpicDwarf! I’ve moved on to some other projects now, but I appreciate the comment!