Game refusing to start - fullscreen mode issue

I’m not sure if I’m the only one getting this but in order to play the latest patch i have to un-install the game completely delete all the files out of the steam folders and re install the game from scratch losing all saved files. if i close the game for any reason i have to redo this to get it to start again.
there is no error messages or anything it just wont start

The only explanation that I can think of is that something went horribly wrong when you installed the game
Horribly wrong

sorry you’re having this issue! for what it’s worth, can you try deleting the Stonehearth folder entirely, and then reinstalling?

what are your system specs? OS, graphics card, etc

1 Like

if those were save files from before the stable alpha 10 build they shouldnt be played anyways, as they would be super buggy and wouldnt run smoothly.

2 Likes

if that were the case it installs wrong every time i have tried reinstalling it at least 5 times

i have done that multiple times and it is the only way the game will run. once i close it again i have to repeat this.
Operating System: Windows 8.1 Pro 64-bit
Processor: AMD FX™-8320 Eight-Core Processor
Memory: 16384MB RAM
Graphics Card: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
it really shouldn’t be having any issues this only started with alpha 10

Are you using the x64 version of Stonehearth?

Actually i just noticed that the issue is with full screen mode.
the game works fine restarts fine and everything till i activate full screen mode and restart it then nothing shows up

paging @sdee … thoughts on this one?

Hmm, first we’ve heard of it, so thanks for calling it out! So, I presume you’re playing regular A10, installed through Humble Bundle’s downloader? And everything works fine until you put it in full screen mode, and then when you restart, exactly what flavor of nothing are you getting? Do you even get to the splash screen?

i am running it trough steam and yes i believe it is the regular as i don’t have it set to run the latest version. I do not get the splash screen. I get an icon showing that its trying to load and the screen flashes black, then nothing.
cant even find it in the task manager.
i found that if i delete the user_settings.json from the files the game will start again. till i try to put it into full screen mode again

are you running the 64-bit or 32-bit version of the game?

[quote=“berserkskullz, post:11, topic:12542”]
user_settings.json
[/quote]hmm… @sdee is there that when enabled/disabled could cause problems?

1 Like

it is being run in 64 bit

2 Likes

Well… if your problem is with full screen mode, then deleting your user settings file would make sense, since that’s where we store whether or not you want to be in full screen mode. So deleting your user settings file would put it back in non-full screen, and would enable it to start.

Paging @not_owen_wilson!

1 Like

yes that is what i am doing and i wont be using full screen to play until the issue is no longer an issue

2 Likes

Just a small note to any new players i have been messing with the settings and have come to the conclusion that selecting the full screen setting will break your game, and thus make you delete the files within your computer and have to uninstall from steam.

Actually you can change the full-screen setting back to false by editing the user_settings.JSON File.
Its located here: C:\Program Files\Steam\steamapps\common\Stonehearth
for my computer… :smile:

This is a bug… But its avoidable. sort of.

2 Likes

firstly, welcome to the discourse @TheCrimsonKing :smile:

secondly, as @zigworf said you can manually change it back to windowed mode in the user_settings.json, and i do believe the file path he gave is also correct :blush:

3 Likes

We had an entire topic on how to change the screen resolution… :expressionless:

But the bug seems back for you :worried:

2 Likes

Just down loaded stonehearth after months of not playing and this bug happens to me as well. the application loads fine in windowed how ever in full screen it fails to launch.
changing the values in user settings file and the .json file have no effect.
the game tries to launch (thinking cursor icon shows) but then nothing happens.
on looking in the task manager stoenhearth never actually launches as an application it stays as a background program( while trying to load) then drops out with out launching the game.