"Fine Items" Filter

When a carpenter gets to level 3, they can craft “fine” items that look different. (Beds, tables, etc.) You should be given the option to choose if the carpenter is able to make these items, though. First of all, the chairs and tables look very uneven if used for a dining hall, and second, if someone comes and asks for your carpenter to make chairs/tables in a certain amount of days, the person will not accept “fine” items and you will have to make sure those things you crafted aren’t fine. If they are, you must craft more. What a waste of wood!

10 Likes

I agree–apart from the alternate appearance for aesthetics, the Fine items actually come off a little less useful than their regular counterparts, at least for the moment. Maybe if there was a way that the Fine items could be chosen? For example, during a batch of regular wooden chairs, let’s say one of them will end up being higher quality–this one would be put off into an “ongoing/pending project” category or list, where the player would get a message or an icon notifying them of the opportunity. If the player wants the fine object, they just click “approve” on the list, and it gets upgraded.

If they always want it to automatically upgrade or reject it for the normal item, there could be an option for either at each respective workstation, or maybe for the individual projects for that craftsman (yes for the four chairs, no for the two dining tables queued).

10 Likes

Personally, I think that they look really cool. It’s nice to see some variation in the items. But, if your trying to make a bunch of beds, it’s definitely annoying when one stands out from the others.

Even though it would be nice to be able to choose if they make it that way, it’s kinda of nice when they do it all on their own. It makes them seem more alive, and just having fun and progressing with their job. (If that makes sense). :smile:

2 Likes

My opinion is that just like the comfy bed is made from a mean bed plus bolt of cloth, the Fine Comfy Bed should be a specifically craftable item made from a Comfy Bed plus some other resource. This would remove the randomness of it all.

Maybe they could just make it an extra item? You Que 10 wooden chairs, The carpenter makes all 10 wooden chairs to fulfill the obligation, then creates the 11th being a ‘Fine wooden chair’. -Or- like you said it gives you a option to make the special item as a extra. That way you still get all that you want and still have the random effect (or Inspiration effect).

I personally prefer the randomness of it as it stands right now. I like the idea of certain items and things being unlocked only by skilled workers getting lucky. It makes them more special overall.

Generally, you just make another item if the fine one doesnt match. Pretty straightforward, and its not like the items cost a lot of resources to make. Wood is abundant to the extreme right now, so it really isnt a big deal. Once moral gets implemented into the game, or more detailed measures of wealth and such, then the fine items get significantly better and they will feel like more of a reward.

1 Like

I agree,but if a “Trader approaches” and asks for 3 simple wooden chairs, you would tell your carpenter to craft them and go off to do something else. When the trader returns, if one of those chairs were “fine”, he wouldn’t give you the reward he promised.

2 Likes

Been caught a few times with this exact scenario. Then I generally manually delete them to save space.

1 Like

Traders take a while to return, though, so I’ve always been able to check that I have everything in time.

2 Likes

The description for a level 3 carpenter is “Artistic Inspiration” and I think it should stay that way. Take away spur of the moment inspiration from an artist and you have an unhappy worker drone.

I always ask my crafters to make a few more than I really need and check inventory often. I see resource management as part of my role in the development of the villages.

3 Likes

I concur! Yeah it’s a pain when one is trying to make a certain number of items but this adds some randomness that requires you to be on your toes :wink:

I tend to look at it this way - (not saying anyone is right or wrong sigh I guess we all have opinions… :smile: )
I gave my Carpenter a order “Make me Ten Wooden Chairs!” <- insert God/Goddess voice :stuck_out_tongue: they start working away.
When he makes the 5th or 6th Wooden chair, a Moment of inspiration hit!," If I do this and change that, hmmm", poof he makes a Fine wooden chair! Yay! “Alright! back to work on finishing this order, The powers that be need a total of Ten Wooden Chairs not 9 and my work of art!”(finishes all 10 Wooden Chairs plus a cool piece).

The Random/Inspiration factor is still working but that inspirational moment gets you a extra with it. I have no clue about anybody else but if I tell a worker to make 10 Items, don’t make me 9 plus a improved one. Make me 10 (of the original) + the improved item and we will see what we can do with the Improved item later.

Either way its not a big issue and won’t make me stop playing type of thing. I just think any of these ideas would be a nice add on later.

2 Likes

I would like to at least see a notification when my crafters have made a fine item. I often don’t notice until I look through my inventory a while later.

2 Likes

Yeah definitely. That would be a nice feature also.

I solve this by making a “maintain X” order rather than a “craft X” order. Then they’ll stop only when they’ve made enough of the non-fine type.

3 Likes

I do this as well.

Then I just sell all the fine dressers for fat stacks.

2 Likes

While this is a solution I have resorted to as well, I think it would be nice at least if Comfy Chairs could be made from Fine Wooden Chairs, perhaps guaranteeing they’ll be Fine Comfy Chairs (or at least increasing the odds). Perhaps these traveling traders could be willing to take Fine items, as well.

2 Likes

[quote=“mrxak, post:17, topic:10311, full:true”]
While this is a solution I have resorted to as well, I think it would be nice at least if Comfy Chairs could be made from Fine Wooden Chairs, perhaps guaranteeing they’ll be Fine Comfy Chairs (or at least increasing the odds). Perhaps these traveling traders could be willing to take Fine items, as well.
[/quote]Traders not taking fine items is actually a mistake. Currently, assigning value to items is done manually by TR (and they are human, and miss some). In the future, it may be done programmatically, or, at least, there will be a programmatic way to check for missing values.

2 Likes

I’ll just add my few cents here. Since Stonehearth is largely inspired by DF, there is also an inspiration for solution with your fine items issue.
In DF, sometimes dwarf can occupy workshop for the sake of creating an artifact, legendary item, something like that.
In Sh it could be done this way: after Hearthling reaches level 3, artistic inspiration can become a thing, which means, that player will be notified ‘Heathling is inspired! He wants to create a fine item. Proceed?’

In a coding way of saying (sorry if not completely correct, my JS skills are rusty):
if (Hearthling_Inspired = 1 ) {
then print (‘Hearthling_Name’ is inspired! He/She wants to create a fine item! Proceed?)
if (ok)
then (create fine item) ;
else (create regular item)
store fine item possibility in cache
craft fine item button = visible
}

something along these lines, hope it’s understandable! :smile:

1 Like

How about being able to choose to craft fine items but haveing a chance for it to fail