Which one do you prefer RC or Ascendancy

RC or Ascendancy because i am very curious which one the community prefer also i don’t know how many people know what RC stand for so RC is Rayya’s Children

I would like to prefer Rayya, but for now it is too shallow, seems like a re-skin only. There are a few other (modded) kingdoms rising too, but none is complete yet.

2 Likes

Ascendancy feels more fleshed-out and satisfying to me too. The Rayya’s story is interesting, but their gameplay is bland by comparison. Perhaps it’s because in the early game they rely more on foraging – I would have expected that to be really interesting compared to “place down 3 farms and you win at food”; but since it’s so easy to transplant food and herb sources near your settlement it becomes a simple chore to create your “garden” while you wait for the chance to buy a farmer’s hoe. Of course, if you take the starting loadout which includes one, then it’s even easier to get started out. As soon as you can farm acacias, Rayya’s major difference from Ascendancy disappears, and at the “end-game” the two factions play identically.

With the Ascendancy you get the sense that building a lavish town is the end goal; so every new building feels like progress. With the Rayya’s Children, it feels to me like there’s something missing. Perhaps once we get diplomacy and expanded trading the Rayya’s Children strategy will change, so you’re more likely to make alliances and trading partners to rely on rather than trying to produce everything yourself. At the moment though, RC feels like Ascendancy with extra steps.

5 Likes

I don’t really know, I’d say both.

I like both and usually switch between them in playing.

1 Like

I have to agree with YetiChow. It will probably get better as the game gets more features.

1 Like

Currently I like the ascendancy best, but mainly due to most features and mods being focused towards them. If/when seasons, and irrigation effecting crops gets implemented (thus drastically changing the differences between biomes), my opinion will probably switch, since I normally, in games like rimworld, like the dry, nomad style more compared to the produce mass food to survive winter setting.

1 Like

I dramatically prefer RC maps because the mesas are great building sites. So I tend to play RC to go with the maps. That’s probably an irrational decision though.

2 Likes

Not irrational at all – the RC are built for the desert map, just as the Ascendancy are built for the forest biome. While it’s totally possible, even viable to play them on different maps; the Desert of Pal Mun is an easy place to get started and has good thematic links (e.g. colours, shapes and logical design links) to the buildings and decorations available to RC. It’s just more of a snug fit; the same as how the Ascendancy look more at home in a dense forest with some imposing mountains to mirror their dense cityscape with a few imposing edifices (e.g. a cathedral or keep.)

1 Like

I’m going to say Rayyas’ children, it is better with building, and I can make custom trees easier since the desert is more likely to have dead plants, I won’t have to worry about leaves, which cannot be made with the given colors. Also I like the mesa’s mountains, though if this where more “realistic” and had accual terrain that sloped evenly, instead on big cliffs, than I’d prefer Ascendancy.

At this point i prefer ASC since they have the color contrast of the green and grey in the temperate biome (Oh and i love working with wood irl, so it warms my soul when the carpenter sets up his bench :jubilant::heartpulse:)

The times i have played as RC i always end up feeling dictated on the building style, by the original templatevisions and have to use a bit more energy to create buildings that are uniqe, but i like the sand colors combined with the dusty blue. I hope that the sand goblins will come soon…

But my absolute favourite is NA even though they arent in the game yet… I want to build mountain towns, that is really a hope i have for NA, hanging ropebridges between mountain peaks slippery from ice… :slight_smile:

I wonder what the colorscheme will be?

2 Likes

Ascendancy by a wide margin at this point. They are more fleshed out, I like the colors…and a forest village/town/hamlet just appeals to me far more than the desert.

However i’m with @Fornjotr, i’m very much looking forward to the Northern Alliance, snow biomes have always been my favorite in games.

1 Like

I totally agree once NA is available that will be my favorite one because i saw some info on it a while back and they look amazing and it will be fun building a mountain town

1 Like

ASC- I love the landscape and the building asthetic

I’ve been a huge fan of Rayya’s Children ever since they were implemented, I swear. My grandmother is from New Mexico, and just, ooh, RC gives me so many warm and fuzzy memories of her house. I just love how warm the color scheme is, and I love the terrain generation, and the music, just, I love everything. I keep trying to go back to the Ascendancy, but I keep getting pulled back :merry:

2 Likes

Rayya’s, just for the music. Which reminds me, I really want to hear the Northern Alliance music. I know Raj showed a preview during a stream a long time ago, but I want more!

2 Likes

I really like RC because they can make the tea pot. I like using it in my towns.

I like Ascendancy for starting with a carpenter and being able to get a shepherd fast. Though the carpenter gets boring afterwards because he dosen’t make anything other than furniture.

2 Likes

You are defently not alone on that boat! Hi ho sailor :jubilant::heartpulse:

1 Like

I’m actually going to say RC already!

Their building style feels much more unique and fleshed out (even though they don’t have a lot of unique decorations yet). Their play-style really jives with their environment well - yes you could just forage for everything but the whole point is to trade for stuff you want/need, and their job tree as well as their environment both really encourage a trade-focused play-style. It’s really interesting to start without a lot of wood but without a need for a lot of wood (which also is much historically accurate considering the civilizations they’re modeled after), and then to grow your trading power in line with a growing demand for wood (better furniture still requires it - also similar to their historical civilizations) and you need it for smelting ingots. I also like how exciting it is when the trade caravan has something you really want, like for example a farmer’s hoe early on because that means you can improve your food production while the carpenter is still sooooo out of reach. Overall I think it creates a really unique experience quite different from other village-building games already, and I can’t wait for it to get even more fleshed out.

2 Likes

I think Acendincy because, it seems like it has had more time to grow and developed and reach a point were it is not to hard or to easy.