Use of backpack space inconsistent

Use of multiple backpack slots for hauling items seems very inconsistent:

1. When you loot several items, the hearthling that goes to retrieve items almost always picks up multiple items, stowing them in their backpack (which there currently seems to be no way to view) for later delivery to a stockpile.

2. When you have harvested or mined items on the map that need to be moved to a stockpile, hearthlings will almost never (if at all) use their backpack to move items to the stockpile, instead hauling 1 item at a time, regardless of item type or distance.

3. When a trapper gathers items, they sometimes use their backpack to haul multiple items, but not consistently.

4. A crafter (smith, weaver, etc) that requires multiple items for a recipe will never use their backpack to collect the items, instead hauling them one at a time to their workstation.

5. As far as I can tell, builders never use their backpack to haul construction materials.

Expected behavior: Hearthlings use their backpacks to load up a full load of items before hauling them to their destination.

this isnt actually a bug, just the mechanics of the game.

[quote=“Telarin, post:1, topic:13099”]

1. When you loot several items, the hearthling that goes to retrieve items almost always picks up multiple items, stowing them in their backpack (which there currently seems to be no way to view) for later delivery to a stockpile.

2. When you have harvested or mined items on the map that need to be moved to a stockpile, hearthlings will almost never (if at all) use their backpack to move items to the stockpile, instead hauling 1 item at a time, regardless of item type or distance.
    [/quote]the reason for that is because using the backpacks are just for looting, and the loot tool activates the backpack, so that enemy camps get looted faster.

3) When a trapper gathers items, they sometimes use their backpack to haul multiple items, but not consistently.
[/quote]this could be due to the fact that higher level trappers gain 8 slots, before that they only have a few.

4) A crafter (smith, weaver, etc) that requires multiple items for a recipe will never use their backpack to collect the items, instead hauling them one at a time to their workstation.
[/quote]to my knowledge crafters dont have backpacks, and even if they do they wont use them, due to the fact backpacks get activated through the loot command

5) As far as I can tell, builders never use their backpack to haul construction materials.
[/quote]again, due to the fact a backpack is just for looting enemy camps, and wont be used unless the loot tool is used.

hope this cleared some stuff up for you :smile:

I actually mentioned the looting inventory discrepancy in a previous thread:

Looting resources equals faster harvesting?

1 Like