Unable to recruit certain classes without crashing

Yeah, in 129 and 130, any new villager will result in a freezing crash, 100% of the time for me. I’ve had it happen with a new worker, a new footman, and a new carpenter, so I don’t think class has anything to do with it.

1 Like

wow, thanks for all the confirmations, sleuthing and additional repro steps folks! :+1:

2 Likes

Man, if we could get a 131 or 132 or something, that fixed just this one bug, the game would be extremely playable right now. I’m still getting the bug where sometimes I can’t save a new game, but that’s not too terrible since reloading the last save is a reasonable workaround if you try to save often.

Overall, I’m able to do everything in the game that’s possible to do. I’m building a nice big settlement, I’m just running low on people to build houses for.

Hey everyone, we’re looking at this now, and it looks like multiple bugs are contributing to the problem (dudes spawning on incorrect terrain, vs AI errors with certain classes when certain other activities are happening vs spawn after load).

Can you describe, in greater detail, what causes the bug to happen for you, and what the consequences are for your situation? For example, what kind of crash are we talking about? Just a red wall of errors? Hard crash to the desktop? Game freezes/new person is frozen? I’ve fixed at least one save/load error, but it can’t possibly account for all the things you’ve described, so more repro situations are very welcome. :slight_smile:

Edit: @not_owen_wilson and I just nailed one that is carpenter specific, so keep those repro scenarios coming! If you want to really give this code exercise, go to linear_combat_service.lua, turn the respawn timer all the way down, and then replace the goblin_thief/brigand with '‘stonehearth:scenarios:immigration’. We’re also interested in how big your explored radius is at the moment of the error.

4 Likes

This is the link to the bug I got in 129 and 130. It was full game freeze then crash to desktop upon accepting a new villager.

2 Likes

@sdee - I fixed the errors printed out by majstealth (immigration_scenario) and Froggy (farmer_crop / create_controller / unpack). I was going to mark these in Trello today, but had to leave for an emergency. With the fallow crop being fixed, I think we might be able to mark this thread as resolved for the next build.

7 Likes

YOU GUYS ARE MY HEROES :blush:

3 Likes

Well can’t wait for the next update then :slight_smile:

Well ppl joined my village over a 100 times (in different games ofcourse) yet they never seem to bugg me out :smiley:. My only crash problem since the latest build is playing for more than 20 days or haveing a couple giant buildings…

The way I work around most buggs and find to be very effective is:

• save A LOT !!!
  • after a save, restart the game and reload, I think it somehow empties some game-caches which will allow the game to run with less errors and thus more smoothly
  • keep double saves in case one corrupts :frowning:
2 Likes

@Albert, Woo, thanks! The fix also helped us get to some other issues, so awesome all around.

4 Likes

the boss has spoken… time to mark as resolved? :smile:

or are their still lingering “recruit class, crash game” issues?

2 Likes

i did not get an update yet - so how should we tell?

1 Like

sorry, that question was directed to the team… we won’t see any updates until a new build is pushed… :wink:

2 Likes

Changed to Acknowledged; we can change it to fixed when it’s no longer a problem on your machine. :slight_smile:

3 Likes

it would help, if we would get an updated/fixed version to test it cough

let me make that clear, i dont want a second rust with sometimes 10 updates a day but maybe a weekly wouldnt hurt IF there are some fixes ready

Have faith, be patient… all will come

2 Likes

well for i am now a year in this boat, there should be no doubt about that, but as long as we are discussing this lone bug, there were at least 5 other threads about the exact same bug, and we all know how magnificient the thread-search-capability is these days

Heh… Don’t we all know that

Specifically, if I click the accept new villager button (forget what it’s called, but on the event panel), I get the notification that a new settler has joined, and the game immediately freezes. A moment later Windows has a pop-up saying the game has stopped responding, and a short time later the game window disappears and I’m back to desktop. This is what happens for me each time with several different classes.

1 Like

I know it’s acknowledged (and maybe even fixed) but a few minutes ago I had a carpenter’s head join me. Game continued to work fine (well, except for the head :stuck_out_tongue: ), but here’s some a big, stitched-together pic with all the details:

Note the wall o’ text error popped up as soon as I accepted the migrant('s head). She (it :stuck_out_tongue: ?) wouldn’t move etc, and couldn’t make a workbench etc.

3 Likes