Unable to load game?

So I took a small break from Stonehearth and decided to then play Stardew Valley (And other games) as it recently had come out. I loved it and then turned back to re-visit Stonehearth and now every time I try to launch the game, nothing happens. No new window or anything related to the game in the Task Manager either.
Can anyone relate to this or try to help me out?

Hey @Pringles, welcome back! Couple of questions, let’s get to the bottom of this:

Do you remember what version of Stonehearth you last played?

Can you confirm if you are playing from Steam or Humble Bundle?

Do you have any mods installed?

Can you upload your stonehearth.log and crash.dmp file from the game install directory for review?

1 Like

I believe that the last version I played was Alpha 14? I went on Stonehearth a couple of times roughly at the start of February before the huge gap, I can confirm that I play Stonehearth via Steam and there are no current mods currently being used. crash.dmp (58.8 KB)
May I ask how to get the log if possible?

The log file would be in the same folder as the crash dump. If you don’t see a file explicitly named stonehearth.log, that is likely because Windows is hiding file extensions. If that is the case, there should be 3 files named Stonehearth. We are looking for the Stonehearth file that is listed as “text document”. You should be able to open it via Notepad.

1 Like

I’m hoping that this is the log. stonehearth.log (4.6 KB)

1 Like

Thanks @Pringles! Couple of things to try:

1. There are mods installed on your system. Could you please check what files are in your mods directory? There should be only 4 files, radiant, stonehearth, rayyas_children, and rayyas_children_ui. Anything else is a third party mod, please remove this while we troubleshoot.
  2. It looks to me like it may be crashing on your video driver, but I am not certain. @Albert or @not_owen_wilson can likely confirm. These lines seem suspect to me:
renderer.renderer | GLFW Error (65544): Win32: Failed to set video mode on adapter \ (error: -2)
renderer.renderer | Error trying to create glfw window.  (size:(1920, 1080)  fullscreen:true)
renderer.renderer |  Display device 0: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
renderer.renderer |  Display device 1: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
renderer.renderer |  Display device 2: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
renderer.renderer |  Display device 3: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
renderer.renderer |  Display device 4: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
renderer.renderer |  Display device 5: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
1 Like

It seems that I was wrong about the mods, as I thought it was part of the default mod folder,[quote=“jomaxro, post:6, topic:21051”]
renderer.renderer | GLFW Error (65544): Win32: Failed to set video mode on adapter \ (error: -2)
renderer.renderer | Error trying to create glfw window. (size:(1920, 1080) fullscreen:true)
renderer.renderer | Display device 0: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
renderer.renderer | Display device 1: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
renderer.renderer | Display device 2: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
renderer.renderer | Display device 3: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
renderer.renderer | Display device 4: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
renderer.renderer | Display device 5: AMD Radeon R9 200 Series
[/quote]
I just post this code to @Albert and/or @not_owen_wilson ?

@Pringles, Albert and Chris get a notification when they are mentioned. They will likely post here sometime next week when they see this.

1 Like

Alright, thank for helping me through this. :grin:

#It now works!!!
I is happy. Thank you so much for looking into my problem. :blush:
EDIT: I am now extremely sad, I managed to open it once and now it is back to as it was previously, not opening. :sob:

Yay (or not…).

So now your issues sounds like one I have, sometimes. I have an older laptop (over 4 years now) with switchable graphics (Intel & NVIDIA). If I attempt to run Stonehearth on my laptop normally, it will crash. It usually takes 4-5 attempts to get it to open, at which point it works just fine. However, when my laptop is connected to an external monitor, the game opens without any issues. I did some troubleshooting with @Albert a few months ago, and we determined that the game was crashing when the computer was trying to switch from the Intel integrated graphics to the NVIDIA discrete graphics. Unfortunately, we never found a solution, so I try to play when I am at my desk with my monitor, or otherwise I just open the game repeatedly, and eventually it works. If your case is the same as mine (switchable graphics), there might be enough info here for more troubleshooting this edge case. I talk to Albert offline on Monday to follow up on this.

1 Like

Thank you so much, I will be sure to try and do what you attempted on your laptop. I really appreciate the help you guys have given me during this process. :smile:

Google shows 2 main things. There are several reports from different game forums about this. GLFW error 65544 seems to be the system not able to detect a monitor. Also found “Some pre-installed Windows graphics drivers do not support OpenGL. AMD only supports OpenGL ES via EGL, while Nvidia and Intel only support it via a WGL or GLX extension.”

Did you update your drivers for the graphics card or monitor sinds you played stonehearth the last time and the time you played it when the issue occured?
If not perhaps update them,
if you did update them perhaps restoring the old drivers to see if that fixes it and then update again. Could well be that the update did not go to well that time.

1 Like

@not_owen_wilson - Can you think of anything he should try to give us more information?

3 Likes

To get you excited, Stonehearth finally managed to successfully load up, allowing me to play the game! Upon hearing the wonderful new in-game sound track, a large smile has now formed on my face. I am hoping once I am done playing this and close the game, I will be able to reload the game fine. I’ll be sure to update you if anything happens. :smiley:

Second Attempt: After reloading the game, it worked again! I will keep this thread updated if anything bad happens. For now, here is a little something which happened after the Goblin clan attacked;

It seems as I was building my walls, the Goblin chief managed to magically get stuck in my wall via the scaffolding when it was getting built.
Again, thank you so much for looking into and recommending possible ways to fix my problem of the game not being able to load up! :blush:
The Reason why it did NOT work: I may have found why Stonehearth was not working. I read a similar post to this where someone edited their user_settings.json in Notpad++ to modify the start up settings. As soon as I disabled fullscreen manually, it seemed to work. Again, thanks for helping me through this process!

2 Likes