The Quandry of "Too Cute" vs "The 5 Year Old"

True that.

I tried mincraft, just couldn’t get into it, and my kids won’t play building games, just like to watch lol.

I played Landmark, Had a pirate’s tavern going up. (Have pics of it). Then went out of town for 9 days, and I only payed enough copper for 8 days, so when I got back it was gone :frowning: stopped playing from that point.

been 7 days or kid friendly games since lol, Oh and LoL (League of legends)

2 Likes

first of all, welcome aboard @Vexed! :smile:

second, its heartwarming to have another gaming parent join the ranks … :wink:

finally, I wonder if (being Minecraft players yourselves) your son would be OK with breeding the critters? would it be better if you could make some new baby foxes before … ahem … thinning the herd? :smile:

4 Likes

LOL OMG to cute @Vexed, when I read this:

I instantly thought of an NFL/NBA/MLB type thing were the Peta Folks come to your door and try to “draft” your little one to their ranks for the future, to funny, but it does warm ones heart to know the future will have those around still with the empathy for “critters” in the back of their minds, a tribute to your parenting.

4 Likes

agreed… :smile:

I just hope @Vexed’s children steer clear of this discussion… :wink:

4 Likes

This is a good opportunity to teach your kid that his food comes from real animals.
Those tears will dry after watching it a few times.

Either they will learn or turn to a total vegan :smirk:

1 Like

Hi thanks for the welcome and we’re really enjoying what we’ve played in Stonehearth so far. Very well done and the new content is going to be great!

Animal breeding is one of my little one’s favorite activities in Minecraft. Two pieces of wheat, hearts appear, then a baby! Ah if only life were so simple, right? :wink:

I find Stonehearth to be a very nice crossover game for us from others which we can enjoy together and he can grasp the concept of and help in our building and planning of a village. He already understands all of the interface and what the hearthlings do. He can’t read yet so obviously I have to help him with the trading, messages, and job assignments, etc. He absolutely adores the daily updates and when we get three green checks (he knows what each one represents) he cheers along with the applause the game gives. It’s perfect. Thank you Radiant, you hit a home run with this one and I can’t wait to see the rest of the game!

8 Likes

again, some very heartwarming feedback… thanks for sharing! :+1:

I am sure the team would love to see this, so… paging @sdee! :smile:

7 Likes

Thank you! I am glad there’s still room for empathy and child-like sensitivity even in the gaming world. As parents we struggle with what might be ‘too much’ in the digital world (whether that’s cartoons, games, iphones, etc) and what can actually enrich our children’s learning and enjoyment. A careful balance is important. I nurture his love of games which he shares with me along with making sure we get outside and explore the ‘real world’ too. :wink: I’ll save the issues of PETA and other organizations for when he’s older, haha.

3 Likes

Agree, many times parent just use the medias for a baby sitting tool, getting involved with ones children even with games is a huge binding agent and allows for better communication in the future.

3 Likes

Because leaving a link to it won’t drastically increase the chances of that happening.

4 Likes

kinda was my train o’ thought on that also…

Remember to separate the kid from the Mom in this train of thought. The way I explain things in a game are much different than the way I read forums and engage in adult conversation. No chance of my child reading about leather chairs and income sources from animal hides. He’s only five and can’t read yet anyways. hehe. :stuck_out_tongue:

*edit: I’m all for better sources of trading with excess animal hides. I’m a practical gamer and a Mom with heart.

5 Likes

Let me just say “YAR matey”

1 Like

Just wanted to say that the Team finds this thread awesome motivation for a Monday morning bug-fixing session. :slight_smile: :slight_smile: :slight_smile: Thanks so much @Vexed!

10 Likes

Maybe there should be Hearthlings who are vegans or vegetarians meaning you would have to work around that or risk losing a worker or two to starvation. It would just be a cool little thing to have randomly generated aspects of a Hearthling’s personality. Stuff like large appetites, love of pets or allergy to them etc.

4 Likes

wow that would be awesome, it would add so much more depth to the game.

1 Like

I’m glad it was motivating. You have a tiny fan in my 5 year old for sure, and Mom thinks it’s great too. Good job to all of you and have a good week working on it! :slight_smile:

2 Likes

It would mean you would have to think about which Hearthling to make a Hunter in case you end up with a Hunter who refuses to kill anything and other similar scenarios like a pacifist soldier.

2 Likes

Too cute is right. I have a 5-year old as well. I’ve just added a new tannery shop to the game, so next build (if you’re willing to wait), you can buy that leather, jerky, and fur pelts.

You’ll still need to make all those critter happy meals if you want to level up a Trapper to a Shepherd, but at least now you’ll be able to make armor without the slaughter of the innocent. :smile:

Also, meat has no special value in the game. Go vegan if you wish!

9 Likes