The entire computer slows down once you've reached around 15 villagers

I can play Fallout 4 and Witcher 3 with low to medium graphics in my laptop pretty smooth with over 45 fps. However, as soon as I reach around 15 villagers and items are maxing out, the game brings my entire computer to a grinding halt. Usually it ends with Stonehearth crashing on me.

Can someone please help me fix the problem? Thank you very much.

1 Like

Welcome to the forum, @D41V30N :slight_smile:

The game is not fully optimized yet. Which are your computer specs (OS, CPU, RAM, Graphics Card…) ?
Which graphic settings are you using in the game?

Processor: Core i7-4720HQ @ 2.60 GHz (8 CPUs)
RAM: 8 GB
Full Display Device: Intel® HD Graphics 4600 @ 2160 MB
Render Display Device: NVIDIA GeForce GTX 960M

I wonder if it has to do with your mixed graphics or if it’s a memory issue.

Do you have a crash.dmp and / or stonehearth.log files inside C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stonehearth that you could upload?

Also, the savefile that crashed your game might be useful in diagnosing your case.
To upload a save, locate the folder in
C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stonehearth\saved_games (assuming a default Steam install), zip the individual save’s folder (not the entire saved_games folder), and upload it. If the *.zip is less than 10 MB, feel free to upload it directly to the Discourse. If larger, please upload it to a cloud storage site like Dropbox, Google Drive, File Dropper, etc. and post the sharing link here.

1 Like

Try to lower the maximum number of lights and shadows, this should help.

1 Like

The autosave of a newer game overwrote that specific save game, but I quickly started a new Peaceful game and built it up to 27 citizens (the game started to lag way before 27 citizens).

While the game was lagging, I tried to build structures, made mistake in calculation and when I tried to remove them, they’re not able to be removed. These bugs show up:

BUG 1
release-687 (x64)[M]
…onehearth/components/building/building_component.lua:727: attempt to index field ‘entity’ (a nil value)
stack traceback:
[C]: ?
…onehearth/components/building/building_component.lua:727: in function ‘_compute_total_structures’
…onehearth/components/building/building_component.lua:130: in function <…onehearth/components/building/building_component.lua:117>

BUG 2
release-687 (x64)[M]
c++ exception: lua runtime error
stack traceback:

I have attached the save game with the post.
Stonehearth Lag Issue.7z (6.2 MB)

Don’t know why, but I didn’t get your building error, I got other errors (which mods were you using, @D41V30N? )

I didn’t notice much lag, but there are things that usually help:

• Reducing the maximum number of lights and shadows in the Graphics settings in-game (as @groms said).
  • Don’t have many items scattered on the ground, make containers for storing them (as you made on your savefile).
  • Save and reload (or even exit the game and restart it), from time to time.
  • Don’t use the building view mode that shows the inner walls for long -> , it needs to make many calculations and can produce serious lag when the city has many buildings.
  • Don’t make huge mining zones on one chunk, make smaller ones and mine them one by one.

In your case I saw some struggling from the pathfinder due to the trapper zones being far away, but it just happens from time to time.

The game still needs more optimization in several aspects, it’s something that the team keeps working on step by step on every alpha. When you experience lag, it can be due to many reasons.

2 Likes