The big "assertion failed" collection

Hello everyone,

I’m plagued by the assertion failed bug that has popped up in the forum repeatedly, going back to december 14. I thought it was time to squash that bug. :slight_smile:

If any of you have also been afflicted by this, please report here, so we can collectively try to pinpoint it.

Bug behavior: Right after loading a savegame, the game crashes with a pop up titled “Stonehearth Assertion failed” that reads

Assertion failed: c > 0 && c < ReadBufferSize(C:\rb\ihome\root\SH-OB-BUILD\stonehearth\source\include\protocol.h:138)

The game is unresponsive, there’s no UI and you can’t move the camera.

Environment: I’m running Stonehearth 0.17.0 (current as of june 9th), starting it from out of Steam. Due to me using WINE (1.7.53-steam_crossoverhack to start Steam) to run it, it is the 32bit version.
Starting a new game always works, it’s just loading a savegame that results in that bug. You can find my savegame here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21005498/auto_save.zip
My logfile is here: https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21005498/stonehearth.log

System
I’m on a 64bit Linux Mint machine, running on an Intel® Pentium® CPU G3420 @ 3.20GHz. My graphics are NVidia GeForce GTX 750.

Hypotheses

  • Could be Linux related (please verify/ falsify, other people)
  • Could be 32bit related (also, please verify/ falsify)

There are also other assertion failed-errors, which may or may not be due to similar circumstances.
Thanks to everyone joining in here!!

PS: I’m aware that a Linux version is only planned, so I can’t expect the game to work for me. Alas, I think it’s still worth to look into, (a) because it might help the Linux version once it’s out, and (b) because this might be an issue unrelated to Linux, which I’m trying to find out.

your drivers are a couple years out of date; try updating them: Drivers | GeForce

Good call, I’m now on version 352.63 (which is the newest that is being distributed via the repositories). I still get an assertion failure, alas a different one:

Stonehearth Assertion Failed
Assertion Failed: type == obj->GetObjectType()(C:\rb\ihome\root\SH-OB-BUILD\stonehearth\source\dm\receiver.cpp:42)

The new log file is here:
https://dl.dropboxusercontent.com/u/21005498/stonehearth.new.log

This part seems interesting:
2016-06-09 12:52:01.050786 | server | 1 | simulation.core | finished loading game
2016-06-09 12:52:01.050923 | server | 0 | sysinfo | Memory Stats: Finished Loading Simulation
2016-06-09 12:52:01.050945 | server | 0 | sysinfo | Total System Memory: 7.740 GB (8310661120 bytes)
2016-06-09 12:52:01.050967 | server | 0 | sysinfo | Current Memory Usage: 0.000 B (0 bytes)
2016-06-09 12:52:01.050981 | server | 0 | sysinfo | Total Address Space: 4.000 GB (4294836223 bytes)
2016-06-09 12:52:01.050995 | server | 0 | sysinfo | Available Address Space: 4.000 GB (4294770687 bytes)
2016-06-09 12:52:01.051008 | server | 0 | sysinfo | Used Address Space: 64.000 KB (65536 bytes)
2016-06-09 12:52:01.085879 | server | 2 | network | server allocating new send buffer (total: 0)
2016-06-09 12:52:01.419043 | server | 0 | simulation.core | took 333 ms to flush streamer
2016-06-09 12:52:01.722993 | server | 1 | simulation.remote_client | started buffering client updates. (seq:206 ack:196)
2016-06-09 12:52:04.215524 | server | 0 | ai.execution_frame | (409066 Wooden Door) [stonehearth:top] ai slow start is 0
2016-06-09 12:52:04.258933 | server | 0 | simulation.pathfinder.bfs | using fast tile iterator!
2016-06-09 12:52:04.898212 | client | 0 | app | Assertion Failed: type == obj->GetObjectType()(C:\rb\ihome\root\SH-OB-BUILD\stonehearth\source\dm\receiver.cpp:42)
2016-06-09 12:52:05.132499 | server | 0 | simulation.core | took 1035 ms to update game state
2016-06-09 12:52:05.132546 | server | 2 | simulation.core | game loop exhausted before any jobs processed!
2016-06-09 12:52:05.142166 | server | 1 | simulation.remote_client | stopped buffering client updates. (seq:206 ack:200)
2016-06-09 12:52:05.195276 | server | 1 | simulation.remote_client | started buffering client updates. (seq:254 ack:200)
2016-06-09 12:52:07.222153 | server | 2 | simulation.core | game loop exhausted before any jobs processed!
2016-06-09 12:52:09.296222 | server | 2 | simulation.core | game loop exhausted before any jobs processed!
2016-06-09 12:52:39.803133 | server | 1 | lua.memory | lua shared heap size: 55.831 MB.

What’s up with that wooden door, I wonder…
I’m now off for the weekend - I just tried to start a new game to rule out that this error is due to incompatible versions somehow. I played a short while (had a LUA error when I tried to place a garden lamp on a wall segment), and when I tried loading, I got the original assertion error again:
Assertion Failed: c > 0 && c < ReadBufferSize(C:\rb\ihome\root\SH-OB-BUILD\stonehearth\source\include\protocol.h:138)

Hm. Still looking for people that have similar errors, I’m very interested in your setup and any similarities.

Hm, seems to also affect other linux users

I’m sure a dev will roll around and enlighten us soon :slight_smile: