Stutters ingame

@sdee
They just started after the update for me. I got the steam key so i have constant updates right away when i start the pc. And the day before the update it was all still fine for me.

Update: I can reproduce this! No idea the cause yet, but the hunt is on…

3 Likes

Don’t worry about the spots unless they have appeared just now. I have them since the first graphics test, I guess it’s related to graphics card or something (my screenshots usually look horrible due to those dots and the lack of shadows (and AO) for the objects in game…)

@sdee, I suspect something. Do you remember the build that fixed the Vista bug :wink: ?
When we could find the mining menu but it wasn’t implemented, (that’s Alpha 6 I guess). So I tend to think it’s fault of the terrain (mining capability) :confused:

but it could be anything… It’s a weird stutter, different from normal lag.

2 Likes

@Relyss, do you, perchance, have an AMD cpu?

Nope. Mobile Intel 4 Series Express Chipset Family.
Integrated graphics card (it’s a laptop).

Drat. Hoping this was AMD-only…

1 Like

Ok, so after the Vista fix, but not before? That’s helpful, thanks! :slight_smile:

Edit: Paging @Albert in case anything occurs to him. :slight_smile:

2 Likes

Alpha 7 they became apparent.

1 Like

What are you running the program on? Apparently it seems like it is just Windows 8.1 and Vista so far… I’ll try to run Stonehearth on my Windows 7 build and see what happens.

1 Like

Ah you dont have to do that
I have reported the problem on Windows 7

1 Like

I’m having this problem too on an NVIDIA GeForce card, the game stutters but the camera still pans and moves smoothly. I have an NVIDIA GeForce GTX 870M and can play games like ARMA 3 and Rome 2 maxed out with no lag. The stutters are really annoying, especially since I only get about 5 minutes to play the game until it crashes anyway :S

If the camera can still be panned during the stutter, then it’s a freezing bug that was reported a long time ago (I’m doing research).

Edit: Ok, I found a video from end of November that shows a complete freezing of the game (except the camera, and it wasn’t due to pathfinding). Here it’s mentioned some possible causes for this kind of situations.

On the other hand, there’s this report here which was merged to a memory leak bug, but it’s slightly similar to our stutter.

This quote is a proof of my guesses (when the Vista bug was resolved):

The fact that some people experience the stutter when moving the camera, makes me think that the cursor didn’t detect a valid panning surface, but people who can move the camera while the game is freezed make me think we’re talking about different bugs.

In conclusion, I think this needs further investigation, so we should try reproducing and recording this new stutter of Alpha 7.

3 Likes

After playing again, I can say in my case the stutter is that I try to move the camera and everything is freezed / the camera doesn’t respond; after some seconds the camera responds to my previous action and the hearthlings can move again.

I’ve experienced it when farming a large field+mining, when it’s bed time, when it’s lunch time, and at the change from night to day (but that’s probably a different bug), usually when trying to move the camera.

I don’t get them right at the start of the game, nor every time I move the camera, so perhaps it’s a kind of lag when there are several things going on at the same time. I think the bar was mostly green and partially blue during the stutters.

Hope this helps (looks like it’s not that easy to reproduce)…

2 Likes

I get it only when I’m building

Some things I’ve noticed.

1. The map stutters when moving my mouse across it, like maybe skips 4-5 tiles.
  2. Loading screens are relatively faster? I’m not complaining just pointing out things I noticed.
  3. Before placing the settlers flag the game runs fine. No FPS drop or anything.
  4. As soon as I put down the settlers flag the stuttering happens.
  5. Turned everything down to the minimum settings as low as they can go and still see the stuttering.

I still can’t find the cause, but maybe someone can, just trying to help replicate the problem.

5 Likes

We (which is to say, the stunningly brilliant @not_owen_wilson) is looking into this now. Thanks everyone for all your repro tips! :slight_smile:

4 Likes

This is how you can see how good the game is. Not by simply playing it. How fast the makers work on trying to get rid of the bug :smiley:

Thank you!
And Merry Christmas!

We’ve isolated the problem, and a fix is in, but didn’t make the latest unstable push. The next push will have it (unless something terrible happens!) Long story short: the new version of Chromium we use to render the UI doesn’t update in the same way as the previous one. When we tell it, “hey, you have new data, re-draw yourself!”, the old one would be like, “Okay, I’ll do that while you’re doing other stuff.”, which was great. The new one is, like, “Okay, I’ll do that right now, and you can just sit there and wait”. The fix was to get it to behave like the old one.

I’m really sorry this didn’t make it in for our pre-Christmas push, but hopefully in just a few days, you’ll finally be free of stuttering. Until then, have a happy holiday!

3 Likes

http://data1.whicdn.com/images/49065540/large.gif

2 Likes

Sorry for the necromancy BUT I wanted to “build” a mining quarry with a 40x40 field and the game was stuttering while mining this out.

GTX 760
8GB Ram
Intel i5 4670k 3.40Ghz

2 Likes