Stuttering and lag issues

Hello Stonehearth community,

Let me start of by saying I absolutely love the game. However, since a little while the game gets unplayable. I’ve reached 29-30 hearthlings and the game stutters so badly that you can barely see them move, even when you speed up time. I’ll put my specs down in a second, because maybe my pc isn’t good enough, but I doubt it. I’ve also used all kind of things like gamebooster, deleting temp files via something like CCleaner and running it in 32-bit mode; it doesn’t make quite of an impact. When I start up the game it’s OK, after a few minutes it stutters like crazy.

Specs-
Processor: Intel ® Core ™ i7-2600 CPU @ 3.4GHz
Videocard: GeForce GTX 560 Ti
8gb ram
1536 dedicated video Ram
Over 750gb of free disc space

I hope to hear something soon,

JGRIT

Your PC is fine, but depending on how you have your town structured, 30 hearthlings can be quite a load on the CPU. Playing at faster game speed will actually make the situation worse, too.

If you upload your save, we can use it for performance optimization.

1 Like

How do I do that exactly? I play it via Steam.

Hey @Albert - since we’re on the subject, I think this save might be useful for performance optimizations, as well:

http://discourse.stonehearth.net/t/hearthlings-ignore-haul-jobs/24143

@JGRIT - In Steam, Right-click on the game’s title in the left-side navigation menu, and select Properties, then click on the Local Files tab, and finally click the Browse Local Files button. In the directory that appears, open the save_games directory, and you should see a list of folders here. These are your individual saves. Find the date/time of the save, zip it up and upload it to the Discourse.

Pro tip: Inside each save’s folder there’s a preview image. This image is what appears in the game’s load screen, so you should be able to match the image to the save if you’re having trouble finding the right one.

Note: if you’re new to the Discourse, one of the mods will have to enable your ability to upload. Also note: file uploads are limited to 10mb. You’ll need to use something like 7zip to get better compression, or upload your file to dropbox, box, google drive, etc instead, if it is larger than 10mb.

I was directed by Justus, on Steam forums to post my saved game here too.
I have zipped it, but do not know where or how to post it here on the discourse forum ?

hey there @Ronch, welcome to the discourse :smile:

to find the save go to this file path,

C:\Program Files (x86)\Steam\steamapps\common\Stonehearth\saved_games

if you don’t know which save is the newest one, you can check the screenshot inside the save folder, then zip the individual save’s folder (not the entire saved_games folder) and upload it directly to the discourse either by using the upload button , or by dragging and dropping the .zip file.

if the save is larger then 10mb you could upload it to a site like googledrive or dropbox and provide a download link.

hope that helps/makes sense :slight_smile:

I was directed by Justus, on Steam forums to post my saved game here too.
I have zipped it, but do not know where or how to post it here on the discourse forum ?

I keep running into problems: I’ve zipped it with Winrar, but this site doesn’t support that extension.

If you have trouble uploading a file to Discourse, you can upload it to a free hosting site like Google Drive, Dropbox, etc and share the link here.

Hi 8BitCrab, and Relyss,
Thank you both, I’ve zipped it and uploaded it to DropBox, but now what do I do with it to give the developers access to it ?..or how do I post it here from my DropBox ?

Hi @Ronch,

I think this is what you need?

https://www.dropbox.com/en/help/167

2 Likes

Alright then, this is file 1; there are 29 hearthlings in a desert area and it begins to stutter after a few minutes, making it unplayable.

This is another/new one. 30 Hearthlings in a forest; no stutter, but the hearthlings just don’t wanna do things anymore. Maybe it’s too complicated with all the layers in the town?

1 Like

Thanks! I’ll mention @Albert so he remembers to pick these savefiles when they come back from the company meeting.

Zipped saved game…Workers stopped preforming, and game started lagging (a lot) directly after Alpha 17 update.

Windows 10 home 64 bit
NVIDIA GeForce GTX 750 ti
6 core ADM fx processor, 3.5 mhz, x64
8-GB RAM SATA
800-GB HardDrive
100-GB SSDrive (where game and windows-10 is installed) moved game from other drive to SSD when lag began after Alpha 17 update, it slightly helped game’s performance but still experiencing lag and ‘idle workers’ after several minutes into loading this and most other saved games.

1 Like

Hi megashub,
Yes, that is what I was looking for, Thank you.

1 Like

Thanks! We’ll profile these games and use them in our next round of optimizations.

No problem. Happy to help

Having similar problems; it isn’t just “slow”, but seems to perform smoothly for .5 seconds, then freezes for .5 seconds, at worst. Doesn’t matter if it is on minimum specs or maximum. The problem occurs at every game speed. Sometimes the problem goes away briefly when changing game speeds (up or down), or saving and immediately loading the save, sometimes a few seconds, sometimes a few minutes.

Task manager puts cpu loads (with almost nothing else open) between 20-25%, GPU load (according to GPU-Z) at 20-30% avg. 22%.

Have two games going, one “hard mode” and other on “peaceful”. Started the peaceful one after the hard one became virtually unplayable, but did notice that in the hard mode game that the problem got worse as enemies spawned, and problem would go away if ALL enemies on the map were killed. Started the peaceful game because thought I could avoid the problem. Hard mode game has 40 villagers, but the peaceful mode game started having problems at only 23 villagers.

The big game uses about 2.5gb ram, the other 1.7.

Specs (not overclocking anything):
i7-6700k
64gb DDR4 2400
GeForce 1080 GTX 8gb
950 PRO M.2 SSD 512gb

I can’t find any performance metric showing stress. No “lag” in any other games. No Stonehearth games have any issues till 20+ villagers.

To note, running Steam version Alpha 17.

Edit: I think I have greatly narrowed down the issue and feel a little silly I didn’t think of this before – Performance issue can be perfectly replicated by putting ~20,000 blocks into queue for mining; use “mine tunnel” on the surface and select 3 40x40x4 areas to mine.

I’ll update if I am able to replicate it some other way.

1 Like