Starbound Gaming Thread!

Keep in mind that it is still early beta. But yes, it’s worth getting (SO FAR). Heck, I haven’t even gotten off the first planet and I’m already having loads of fun.

Been playing since late yesterday. Looks very, very sweet. Still a little rough around the edges, but the devs are on top of things. I put about 300+ hours in Terraria and I expect no less of Starbound. Looks great.

Can anyone tell me what the game is all about? :smiley: Like a short summary?

i was only able to play for about 30 minutes last night (for some reason, i couldnt launch the game … was finally able to run as admin)…

when i got in the game however, it was all worth the wait… the UI is very polished, and easy to use after about 5 minutes of playing… the music? absolutely fantastic…

the game is pretty brutal though (depending on the planet you initially spawn near)… i was only able to construct a weak wooden structure just as night fell, and the nasties started to roam the landscape… can’t wait to dive back in this evening…

are you familiar at all with Terraria? its very similar to the title, and is basically a 2d sandbox exploration/building/crafting/survival game… :smile:

1 Like

Thanks Stevey, unfortunately Terraria wasn’t able to suck me into the hype as I didn’t find it as enjoyable as other games I was playing back then, so I might have to pass this one as well.

take heart, it seems there are quite a few similar initial reactions (if i didnt like terraria, i wont like starbound)… but they do have distinct differences… my advice, watch some LPs and see what all there is to experience in the game…

it really is quite fun! :smile:

Ok, thanks for the advice :slight_smile: I’ll go and check it out ^^

1 Like

Already sunk >15hrs since yesterday.

The first update has improved/fixed quite a few things as well.

curious… how do you get the update? i ran the launcher last night, and didnt notice any patching, etc.

do you have to initiate something through Steam?

The update didn’t come until late last night so you might have missed it. It should update automagically… make sure and launch it through Steam.

1 Like

Is there a way to equip a 1 handed item in my left hand, and another in the right hand, at the same time? Such as a 1 handed sword and shield. It seems like the game should allow it, but 100% of everything I do ends up in my left hand and no amount of clicking / toggling on that GUI changes this.

Also, googling starbound things gives 0 results on anything useful. Not used to a game like this :confused: Even gnomoria has a wiki how-to.

1 Like

Press L or click the book on the right hand side, there should be an entry on basic controls and keyboard shortcuts, there is a way as far as I know … I’ve had the flashlight and axe out before so it should be doable?

Maybe not with a weapon … Not sure

I noticed the axe and flashlight combo as well… It may have something to do with what’s in the slot directly to the right of the R slot…

via steam update. That didn’t go so smooth with me though. Worked out okay in the end :smile:

Sweet, thank you :slight_smile: I am now able to hold 2 things. Also - is there a way to change my beam-down “spawn” location? or is this just always the same as a punishment for death?

i was looking for something similar… i dont think thats an option (at least, not yet)…

Two things: you can dual wield by equipping two “one-handed” items in the L and R slots. I’ve done it with daggers and it works well.

Second, you can’t change spawn, as far as I know.

I believe that scrolling your mouse wheel changes the left or “primary” hand while Shift + scroll wheel changes the right or “secondary” hand. Don’t quote me on this though…
In other news, I’m already loving this game! So much fun!

Actually, pressing ‘X’ switches to your hand object(s) and ‘Z’ switches them from L to R, and vice versa. That only applies if the objects are 2-handed.