Solution for bad fps on good pc?

Hello, so this is my problem, I don’t know if it’s normal, if it comes from the game or from my pc but, in my game where I currently have 23 small worker
, and where I don’t have too much construction , I only shoot around 50-60 fps, and I find it really strange, because with a config like that I told myself that it would run perfectly, but no … part of my config:
RTX 2080TI 32GB RAM DDR4 I9-9900K

I’m on windows 10, and the game is in 64 bits. i have put the graphics option on Ultra.

So if you have an idea or a solution, thank you in advance.

its mostly core speed, but you should be fine on that end (i see you have a K version core, did you overclock it yet? since base core speed for one core is what this game is all about)
that said, SOMETHING in this game also keeps FPS down, even on beastly machines with nearly no hearthlings. idk what.

Hey, I’m really sorry not to have answered before, I had some small problems, anyway, no, I haven’t overclocked it, currently, I have 32 hearthlings, and I shoot between 45-50 fps max. I know it will get worse over time, but I love this game too much for this detail to make me stop … There is no mod or way to counter this problem? thanks a lot for your help :slight_smile:

there are a few candidates, based on different PC builds and ways of playing, which can account for the “mystery FPS drain”

• poor sync of data read/write speeds – e.g. if the processor is fast but the HDD or RAM is slow, then the processor can only “pull” data for use as fast as it can be read from memory. In this case, RAM speed should be fine; but there’s no HDD/SSD listed and this is a surprisingly common bottleneck I’ve seen.

• The main thread being used to run the game is the same thread as the one that’s running the computer’s operating system. This is likely to be an issue with the processor’s configuration, and often there aren’t even exposed settings to choose how the computer allocates the cores in the processor; but the ideal scenario is that the computer uses one core to run the OS in the background and a whole other core to run the game. From my memory, changing this is possible but you need to know what you’re doing.

• there’s always the good ol’ “junk data” problem, which I think the OP has made a reference to already with that whole “gets worse over time” comment. There is sometimes “invisible” junk data though, things like tasks that sit around waiting for a missing resource so they can be completed. These tasks won’t read as “junk” to the computer but they’re functionally the same, sitting in memory just eating it up and never going away. A common example (and one I often do even though I know about it lol) is simply “set and forget”-ing a maintained recipe list for the cook, especially for ingredients you don’t commonly have in stock. Recipes get “halfway made” and then sit waiting for the remaining ingredients, or even if they’re not started the game still has to sort through all the recipes you’ve told it to maintain when selecting what to make next. Situations like that, unfinished building projects, and large piles of items waiting to be stored all speed up the rate that the PC’s memory fills up. So in short, if there are tasks that aren’t getting completed it’s often best to either focus on completing them ASAP or simply take them off the to-do list (note for hauling/storing items this generally means destroying the excess items, or selling off your stored items to make space for the ones laying around, because as long as the items are in the world the game will look at them every time it’s handing out hauling tasks even if it doesn’t assign a task for them because there’s nowhere to haul them to.)

@Aznargd re: your question about mods: the More Map Options mod is always a good place to start, specifically the Small World option. Reducing the world size dramatically improves the performance, and honestly most players will only use 1/10th of the normal map (even in multiplayer the smaller map size is big enough for a couple of towns at once.) Any of the mods which add large chests make cleaning up items much easier and faster. Also remember that you can put a container near the items to be collected, let it fill and then move the full container to save your hearthlings a lot of walking back and forth (and thus your PC a lot of work in figuring out their paths there and back again!) If you find you’re getting a lot of pets from your trapper/need lots of hearthlings constantly working and the AI is what’s slowing your computer down (easy to tell because the “resource monitor” bar will be fully yellow/gold for AI and pathfinding respectively), then mods like Food Not Friends or some of the new golem mods will help reduce the number of pets and/or replace some workers with golems (golems have much simpler “brains” than hearthlings and don’t need to look for food or beds, so they’re much “cheaper” for your PC to run.) If you find that enemies are constantly building up around your town, then Easy Mode Difficulty reduces their spawn rate, or the Ballista Turret Mod can help reduce their numbers so you’re less reliant on walls/mazes which add to the pathfinder’s work.

1 Like

here is the entire ref of my pc, I admit that I don’t really know anything about hard drives, so maybe the ones I have are not really good: /

Edit: I didn’t buy it here, it’s just the technical sheet
, and thank you very Much for your help, and for the time you spend for help me :smiley:

Since you do have a K version core, you could take a look at overclock Ing, relatively easy cheap (free) way to get more bang for your buck hell sometimes your motherboard can do it for you

Ok, so I’ve looked at that page and the RAM listed there is reasonably good, and both of the storage drives (which are SSDs) are really good, so memory reading and writing speed are not the issue here.

The computer comes with a “gaming centre” application built-in, you should check the settings on that and what settings it uses when you’re playing Stonehearth – you can use it to set up the way that programs run in the background so you’re not wasting processing power on other things, and probably also do some basic memory management too. I wouldn’t be surprised to find that by default it tries to spread the work out over multiple cores (which the game doesn’t support), so setting up this program to assist with “maximising” a single core instead would probably have a big difference for Stonehearth and some other games which need a lot of processing but only run in a single thread.

Your computer has plenty of power, but I don’t think that most of it is getting used by the game. Hopefully that built-in control centre lets you fix part of that situation by a) turning off/pausing background things (like animated desktop wallpapers, fancy Windows UI effects, other programs and background jobs) when you’re playing the game, and b) explaining to the computer how best to use the available processing power.

1 Like

Oh ok! I was not even aware of the famous software, that might explain something, in several games I am quite “disappointed” with the performance, I thought it came from the game, while maybe not in fact … Anyway, thank you very much for your help, I will watch it as soon as possible, thank you again!

2 Likes