So who else payed more for the game than they feel they are getting

Let’s wait and see when support truely dies what we are left with. As of A20 it’s been significantly more enjoyable and anyone not able to play did miss out in my opinion. I too was frustrated earlier but calmed down a bit. It was just such a beautiful vision and some key things are being left out ( or so it feels like ).

7 Likes

How long are Kickstarters going to be able to ask for a refund, I put in 60 bucks. I enjoy the game but it feels sort of like a shell of what I pledged for. Class cuts and stuff are fine but I feel like its just the same exact play through everytime.

Goblins > Lizards/Necros > Kobolds, hit 20 odd Hearthlings and my client slowly chokes out my PC.

I am not quite ready to abandon ship, I want to see how it is at ‘launch’ and if enough that was promised was kept/refined/fixed before I opt in for a refund.

2 Likes

It was my understanding the refund was for the folks that are unable to play because it’s not getting ported to Linux.

If you’re playing and enjoying it, great! Asking for a refund after playing through it is kinda like eating the whole meal then complaining that you want a refund because it was good, but not what you expected.

2 Likes

Well I mean I and others were also promised certain features and functions as part of our contributions as we aren’t getting that.

They can take my game away if I want a refund, but if I go to the auto shop and I’m told 100 bucks replaces all 4 tires and I only get 3 replaced. Yeah I want that 4th new tire or a refund.

2 Likes

I love this game, I paid $25 for it. My only wish is that they had charged more as it might have stood as more incentive to Riot to let the team spend another full 6 months on it.

I’m happy to see the community picking it up though. I have high hopes that the game will continue to improve over the next few years. It already has a super super solid foundation thanks to all the lovely people at Radiant (thanks @sdee and all y’all!). It’s unfortunate that we are at this point, but at least the community is inheriting a well established foundation that we can add endless content to (rather than a flaming pile of pooh that is best just left in the dustbin of history…)

4 Likes

:confused:

I mean, it’s not really a good comparison. If you get 3 tires, your car isn’t going to be usable. Where as we have a functioning game that is simply missing some features (which the modding community is trying to supply.)

That being said, I’m kind of just splitting hairs. I totally get the concept of “I didn’t get what I signed up for, gimme back my money.” But…I mean, maybe give it one more month to see where the community is going with this? We’ve got some strong contributors lining up to get cracking on this thing. If we’re patient, we may actually end up with more than was originally promised.

Kind of like someone coming into that tire shop, throwing on the last tire and then aligning them as well for free, right? Right? (okay, I’ll shut up now.)

3 Likes

It is the same principle though, I paid for things, or in this case features that I did not receive. If they get the game to a stable point I would gladly keep the game and not ask for a dime.

If the game is still half-finished with bugs PLUS the stretch goals that we met that are being cut, I would expect a refund. I paid Radiant to build this game, it shouldn’t have to fall to modders to make this game what EA and Kickstarters paid to have Radiant deliver.

Understandable, but a Kickstarter campaign is a gamble that works on a “good faith” system. I mean if Riot is down for handing out refunds for the Kickstarter folks that are playing through the game completely, saying they’re okay with the cuts, they enjoy it, but want their money back cause reasons that’s on them. It doesn’t affect me either way. Was just saying I believe that offer was specifically for the folks that backed for Linux, I could be wrong.

While they are adding the last of the new content by the end of this month, there are actually gonna be a few folks staying on till the end of the year. They’ll be improving performance and fixing bugs. So performance wise they’re gonna be working on that for more than a month.

2 Likes

Yeah, hard to argue with your sentiment. I don’t feel the same way, but I think the way you are looking at it is perfectly valid. I think we’ll just have to see what Radiant does in cases like yours.

But, hey, fingers crossed that the product is simply stable and has enough features for you at least by the time 1.1 roles around. I suppose we’ll see…

1 Like

I honestly have a bit of a problem with this statement. It’s not like there’s a giant banner on Kickstarter that says, “we are doing all of this in good faith, please trust us.” Rather, people who create kickstarters are urged, repeatedly, to under promise and over deliver.

To Radiant’s credit, they’ve been very open about the fact that they were far too specific/speculative when they first outlined the project (a common problem with software projects, both inside and outside the games industry.) This lead to some unjustified claims about what they, as a team, could actually accomplish (again, a common problem in software). It was a mistake, and it’s one that Radiant has owned up to. If there’s any “good faith” to be had at this point, it’s simply faith in the fact that Radiant is doing it’s utmost (given constraints of funding and time) to make it as right as they can.

But, even that will fall short of initial promises. It’s something we’re all just going to have to learn to live with. For me, it’s fine, I’ve been in this position before with software projects and I’m not going to hold it against Radiant that they screwed up because every software team I’ve seen screws up like this on occasion. But I’m not about to claim that everyone needs to share my generally forgiving (some might say, “easily taken advantage of”) nature. Some folks are going to be upset, and that’s fine, they have good reasons. There’s really no reason to tell them they are wrong, because they simply aren’t.

The moral: debasing peoples complaints as unjustifiable probably isn’t a good approach here. If we love the game and want to defend it, we just need to help Radiant out as best we can in making amends. There’s plenty of mod work to go around, maybe pitch in and see if we can’t help them get the job done, eh? :slight_smile:

3 Likes

I’m not debasing anyone by saying it’s a gamble. We’ve literally seen enough KS campaigns to know it’s a gamble, this is a fact. So implying I’m debasing someone by saying that is off the mark, check yourself.

1 Like

Another point to consider is that the game is modifiable from the top down. Every aspect of this game can be changed and just because they’re ‘finished’ doesn’t mean that game development is over. A community effort could continue to mod the game further and perhaps with the support of radiant or riot more could be added.

2 Likes

I agree, if its stable enough and has enough features. But right now, the game just feels hollow without mods, not to mention performance issues and the actual game progression isn’t very deep. With the bunny clan maybe that has improved, I haven’t had a chance to test it yet.

Just as of now, just the base game it doesn’t feel complete at all to me.

2 Likes

:white_check_mark:

You’re right, that word was a bit extreme, sorry :slight_smile:

3 Likes

No worries, there are lots of emotions flying around. I apologize if it came across that way, that wasn’t my intention. I truly hope everyone gets a stable game they enjoy, but I understand some folks aren’t gonna be happy with it.

4 Likes

Nah you are both good, hope I didn’t come off as heated either.

1 Like

I’m not ok with paying $25 just 3 days before they announce that they’re dropping the price at release and that the game support will end the same year of it’s release. I didn’t spend money investing in a game that was already determined to be “good enough” for a public release the same month just so I could get screwed if I so much as tried to contribute and rack up more than 2 hours of run time. I signed onto this with the expectation that two years after it’s official release, improvements and new features could be added on into the core game not through mod development, and because it’s Steam, they’re refusing refunds and they don’t do partial refunds.

I am not okay with this. Like I pointed out earlier, Re-logic did (still doing) more for Terraria at $10 a pop than Radiant (now Riot) is doing for Stonehearth.

Terraria is 7 years old on Steam and probably 10+ years old since it’s inception and Re-Logic has a team of 12. TWELVE! Riot is stupid for forcing an end to this and it’s ridiculous to charge Steam EA users more for an unfinished, overpromised game and then drop the price later because of it. Steam EA users like myself are getting screwed in this move because we’re not KickStarter contributors.

Nope, you’re good too Hootie. I’m still hopeful things will work out.

Unfortunately @Vashnik that’s a Steam issue.

Maybe explaining to them nicely why this is a special case they’ll help. Here’s hoping it works out!!

1 Like

Use this as a teaching moment, when you buy an unfinished project thats what you should expect to get. Dont just assume things will receive a Utopian infinite dev loop.

4 Likes

Talking nice to them didn’t work. They refused my petition. They don’t actually listen. I tried to get a refund for a game that doesn’t actually work at all, and they refused to do a refund.

I don’t expect an infinite dev loop, I expect at least 1 full year after an official public release (preferably 2 years, it’s phenomenal if you can manage 5 or more full years) of finishing up the additional content that didn’t quite make it at release but were promised, bug fixing, and general/technical support for the product. It’s not unreasonable to expect this. When a game is released, I expect to see everything that was promised, even if that means they have to patch it in later because the earlier version wasn’t what they wanted. When they give content that wasn’t promised, it’s like getting bonus content.

The only reason a game should drop in price is when it has been 1 year past it’s public release or when there is a sale to entice more players. Not because of a failure to deliver a promise. Steam EA users should not get screwed over at all in this process. I probably would have been fine with paying $25 if they weren’t dropping the price on Steam at it’s official release. I probably would also have been fine with KickStarter users paying somewhat less because they wanted to fund a project they believed in (it’s literally what KickStarter is for), with the amount they could afford.

2 Likes