Settlers randomly stop doing everything

I get this problem when I have more than one carpenter. One of the carpenters will go lay down for eternity unless I close his shop and reopen it. Then he will work one or two jobs and go right back to being a couch potato.

I did a few sets of wall loops to test this, and various houses. It definitely seems that once they get hungry or need to sleep that they then don’t go back to looking for unfinished building projects.

They will forget that they were doing anything and just sit around. But if I then tell them to harvest more berries, they will then look for something else nearby to pick up. Never do they return to building projects once food or sleep has called them away from it.

I’ve also noticed that if I only have one stockpile, that they will then get stuck after delivering new wood to it. But if I have two or more stockpiles, that they’ll continuously loop between dropping an item at one, picking it up, then dropping at the other, picking back up… and forever until they get hungry or tired again.

A new building project will call them out of that loop, but once it’s finished (if they finish it in time), they then just go back to their loop between stockpiles.

I’m not sure if this was already said in another thread, but oh well.

Playing more of the Stonehearth alpha, I noticed that my workers will sometimes not work and just stand around, as if it I haven’t told them to do something. For instance, when I wan constructing a small shack, I noticed that my workers had taken down all the scaffoldings and have build all the walls, mind the roof, except one wall, where the top has not been completed and the scaffoldings were still standing. Now, instead of finishing the wall and taking down the scaffolding, they just stood there, walking around with no rhyme or reason.

This is another bug I have been experiencing since the alpha came out in December. Sometimes the workers will not work even if I have given out a command, such as selecting a tree to cut it down or to collect berries. They will just stand around and will not bother to do anything, even if there is a million logs around the settlement that need to be picked up.

Yer this is a longstanding issue that I believe is related to the pathfinding.

It’s improved a lot since first release, but there are obviously still problems.

I can somewhat confirm that it is a pathfinding issue. I came across this tonight while I happened to have that fantastic little task manager window open and noticed that generally on my machine I will see spurts of pathfinding being active at maybe 20%, with generally about 60% total of my machine in the “free” category. However when my workers would get stuck, even just one of them, the pathfinding would shoot up to about 60-75% and stay there for a while, sometimes as long as a minute or two before it seems to have resolved its internal conflict and moved on at which point the worker would again start to work. Attached are screen shots of the little task manager windows for both normal and pathfinding bug.

Pathfinding bug:

Normal gameplay:

During Building construction, if your carpenter supplies the missing furniture, the workers will place them, but they wont continue building the house

I also have this problem… the first time they stopped and after saving my progress and then restarting the game everything worked fine again. The second time though (now) it wont go away… it started with two people randomly getting stuck in the ground, then more and more people went to them (because I was building something there) and they got stuck inside the ones that were stuck in the ground… (stuckception xD)

I have a similar problem… this is the bug report I keep getting… it’s always the same…

release-453 (x64)
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_unit_v2.luac:60: bad unit transition “start_thinking” from “finished” in action fill the backpack with ground items
stack traceback:
radiant/modules/common.luac:32: in function <radiant/modules/common.luac:32>
[C]: in function 'error’
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_unit_v2.luac:60: in function '_unknown_transition’
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_unit_v2.luac:85: in function '_start_thinking’
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:217: in function '_do_slow_thinking’
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:275: in function '_fn’
radiant/controllers/timer_controller.luac:32: in function 'fire’
radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.luac:9: in function <radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.luac:9>
[C]: in function 'xpcall’
radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.luac:9: in function 'set_now’
radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.luac:20: in function 'increment_now’
radiant/modules/timer.luac:6: in function 'self’
radiant/modules/events.luac:80: in function <radiant/modules/events.luac:78>
radiant/modules/events.luac:78: in function 'trigger’
radiant/modules/events.luac:97: in function '_update’
radiant/server.luac:19: in function <radiant/server.luac:17>

i have checked this issue on 3 computers each with different CPU, it looks like it happen less often on strongest one(but it will happen eventually) and most often on weakest one(q6600 intel quad), game is creating massive amount of data on virtual memory if it has no enought RAM(like 8 gb), then when you play the game it is trying to read all data in 1 moment and if it will not read form drive what the settler suppose to do then he will hang doing nothing, make the game running slower, reset ai then they will start doing something(even wait a moment so the data from drive would be readed), for me it looks like the database for items and settlers is really slooooow… and is unable to provide information “on time”, too much information is stored and tracked and the settlers are on the end of the stack.

with SD disk it works nicely(but with 20 settlers and 1k of items it will die sooner or later), with normal HD with 15 settlers it will die almost 2 min after restarting game.

I ran across this problem. If you remove the building they will do that action, so I guess it’s a path finding issue.

I am experiencing the same issue. It seemed to get progressively worse as I gained more and more villagers (over 20).
I think the first line is a strong clue “…bad unit transition “start_thinking” from “finished” in action fill the backpack with ground items” i.e. After they pick an item off the ground, they have trouble, or are unable, to determine what to do next.

release-453 (x64)
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_unit_v2.luac:60: bad unit transition “start_thinking” from “finished” in action fill the backpack with ground items
stack traceback:
radiant/modules/common.luac:32: in function <radiant/modules/common.luac:32>
[C]: in function 'error’
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_unit_v2.luac:60: in function '_unknown_transition’
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_unit_v2.luac:85: in function '_start_thinking’
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:217: in function '_do_slow_thinking’
stonehearth/components/ai/execution_frame.luac:275: in function '_fn’
radiant/controllers/timer_controller.luac:32: in function 'fire’
radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.luac:9: in function <radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.luac:9>
radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.luac:9: in function 'set_now’
radiant/controllers/time_tracker_controller.luac:20: in function 'increment_now’
radiant/modules/timer.luac:6: in function 'self’
radiant/modules/events.luac:80: in function <radiant/modules/events.luac:78>
radiant/modules/events.luac:78: in function 'trigger’
radiant/modules/events.luac:97: in function '_update’
radiant/server.luac:19: in function <radiant/server.luac:17>

I have eventually run into this bug in every build I played so far. Every time it happens I uninstall and wait for the latest build but that isn’t happening.

It looks like the bug is related to object management. For example, if I start building something (a building, or a mine) where blocks are placed into the world, then cancel it mid-progress, workers stop functioning and evetually none of them do anything. This is one example, but there have been many as I have been playing since the first build available to Kickstarters.

Is there a way for me to dump diagnostics or something when I run into this issue?

My game also does this in alpha 11 there building and they all just stop i cant save my game or nothing i have to restart my pc then. Any help?